Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default A Real Rookie question

On my 1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible I have a push pull Choke and Throttle buttons on my dash. The choke I use each time I start the vehicle. I have never used the Throttle Button but I assume it is to rev up the engine to a higher RPM? This is my first Old car and it is only one year older than me! Still learning after 6 months of ownership. Thanks
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: A Real Rookie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck View Post
On my 1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible I have a push pull Choke and Throttle buttons on my dash. The choke I use each time I start the vehicle. I have never used the Throttle Button but I assume it is to rev up the engine to a higher RPM? This is my first Old car and it is only one year older than me! Still learning after 6 months of ownership. Thanks
You're correct, to raise RPMs, maybe to aid in warming-up. But even better than that, YOU just became a "Senior Member"! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
DavidG

It's sort of a very unsophisticated version of modern speed control, among other things, that one would be crazy to use as such.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It's sort of a very unsophisticated version of modern speed control, among other things, that one would be crazy to use as such.
I PURPOSELY did not mention that "crazy" idea. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
cas3

manual throttle on a car is a good thing I believe. Some examples, Say you have just started a car with a known low battery. Once the motor is warm enough to run without the choke, which has throttle increase built in, you can then turn off the choke, yet keep RPM's up with the throttle on the dash to keep it charging. Some folks use it for a "third leg" to take off on a hill.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #6
Bored&Stroked

Also, if you have a "cold blooded" race-style engine, with a big cam and a lot of carbs, once it is started, you use the throttle to keep the RPMs up until it warms up. Until it is warm, it will probably not idle at all . . . or foul the plugs and stall.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
You're correct, to raise RPMs, maybe to aid in warming-up. But even better than that, YOU just became a "Senior Member"! DD

Man I do not deserve to be in that group of senior members! Those folks have rebuilt Flatheads and done many more complicated things than I have done. I was hoping the bar would be set a lot higher for me!

I am going to put a signature on my post that I got from a coffee cup my engineering daughter gave me. "Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems!" ROGER, WILCO, OUT!
Old 12-13-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
marko39

You can jack the rear end up and attach a belt to a sawmill. Throttle is used to keep the rpm up.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck View Post
Man I do not deserve to be in that group of senior members! Those folks have rebuilt Flatheads and done many more complicated things than I have done. I was hoping the bar would be set a lot higher for me!
REMEMBER ....."SENIOR" or Seniority DOES NOT necessarily imply smartness, intelligence or experience. It's just a "warm & fuzzy" that lets others know that you've been piddling with something over & over, for a long, long time. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-13-2021, 02:05 PM   #10
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
You can jack the rear end up and attach a belt to a sawmill. Throttle is used to keep the rpm up.

Now that is engineering at its finest! In the 80's we were at The Old Turner's Creek Marina before it became Hogan's Marina and there was an old pickup truck on the bluff with no wheels or bed on it, who's sole purpose was to pull boats out of the water at high tide so that their bottoms could be scrapped and repainted. I am sure they had a throttle control on it too.

Last edited by Ramblin Reck; 12-13-2021 at 03:17 PM. Reason: To add something of interest
Old 12-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
cas3

Probably an old PowerWagon with a winch on the front. They did drive stuff off the rear wheels though. I had a 26 dodge with a belt pulley on the rear hub...long gone now
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #12
MGG

I like the hand throttle for starting out on a hill. My right foot can stay on the brake while the hand throttle can keep the RPMs up until I can get my foot over on the floor throttle pedal.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote