Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
drolston

Default Current Leak?

In trying to find my intermittent headlight short circuit (blown fuses), I came upon a mystery. With every switch in the car off, my Ohmmeter showed about 500 Ohms from the battery to ground. On my 12v car, that would result in a current leak of 24 milliamps, with the car turned off. That drainage would be pretty typical in a modern car with a lot of "keep alive" computer stuff, but for an old Ford, it should be completely open circuit, or zero drainage.

The only hot circuit that is not on a switch is the horn. Maybe the leakage is through that foam ring that insulates the horn ring from the column.

Any ideas?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:12 PM   #2
MGG

Default Re: Current Leak?

In my 1934 truck, I had the same type of short. When I would activate the system via the battery cut-off switch, I noticed a very slight jump in the ammeter in the discharge direction. The tail light would come on dimly. Down at the lower left of the engine was a bundle of wires which included the always-hot horn wire and the wire which went back to the tail light. In the bundle, both of the wires had a joint next to each other. The joints were not pushed together completely, and in the darkness I could see the current jumping from the horn wire to the tail light wire through these joints.

Simple fix - I separated the joints and thoroughly insulated those and all of the rest of the wire joints. Problem solved.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
fordor41

have an alternator?
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
Frank Miller

Even if your light switch is off it still has power coming to it and that could be the problem. You have some sort of a partial short and the best way to find it is to systemically remove one circuit at a time to see which one makes a difference.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #5
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
my Ohmmeter showed about 500 Ohms from the battery to ground.
The ohmmeter is not measuring a current leak. It is measuring the resistance (conductivity) from one meter probe to the other. I would think your ohmmeter should have measured zero resistance. Infinite conductivity.

To look for a current leak, use the ammeter function of your multi-meter. Disconnect either battery cable, one probe on the battery post, other probe on the cable. Measures current running to/from the battery.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #6
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
have an alternator?
Yes, a little one stuffed inside of a generator look-alike housing. I will try disconnecting it to see if the current drain goes away. Good thought!
Old 12-13-2021, 02:37 PM   #7
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayChicago View Post
The ohmmeter is not measuring a current leak. It is measuring the resistance (conductivity) from one meter probe to the other. I would think your ohmmeter should have measured zero resistance. Infinite conductivity.

To look for a current leak, use the ammeter function of your multi-meter. Disconnect either battery cable, one probe on the battery post, other probe on the cable. Measures current running to/from the battery.
Of course the battery was disconnected at the time of measurement. The 500 Ohms was from the disconnected battery cable to ground.

I will put the meter in DC current mode and connect from disconnected battery cable to the battery terminal to see what the actual leakage current is.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
Frank Miller

The ohm meter should read 0 ohms unless there is something like a clock with modern guts running. A short which will lead to a fire or blown fuse will give you infinity but here we have a partial short or draw the owner is not aware of.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #9
Jack E/NJ

fordor41>>>have an alternator?>>>>

Yes, the sensor in a 1-wire can leak as much as a 100mA. The sensor on a 3-wire can also leak as much unless it's switched.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote