Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
ETAModel

Default Longest trip yet...MPG suck!

Got the 30 Fordor going, took it to gas station first thing and filled her up with premium 100% gasoline. Then turned on speedbot and went for a LONG (for me) drive. My longest yet, 48 miles. Mostly county roads, some city but not much.

At the end of drive took her back to gas station and topped her off, to see how she did. She used 4.4 gallons, so roughly 10.5 MPG without using my calculator.

In my opinion...THAT SUCKS!

I had the throttle turned about 2/3 of a turn out. Seems I read somewhere that when your on the highway you can almost close the throttle jet and it will still run fine.

To prove it to myself I hit the local US Hwy and closed the fuel off, then cracked it open. She didn't hesitate or stall or nothing, ran like it had all day. BUT, when I got back in town and hit some stop signs she DEFINATELY needed more fuel going in, as she sputtered and almost stalled. I turned her back to 2/3 open and it ran fine in town.

The plugs look ancient, I need to pull them and at least clean them, and order some replacements.

Remember Guys, I have about a dozen drives under my belt, probably 200-250 miles total thus far, today excluded. So I am still a Newbie to the Great Model A.

Should I leave the throttle at 2/3 turn while she warm up and in town, and then close it down on the road?? I'm not worried about the Cost, I'm concerned about running out of gas! The Gas Gauge doesn't work, its on the list of repairs. But still, this is TEXAS, there's times you can drive a hour or more (in a modern car) any direction without seeing a gas station.

Thanks for your help thus far.
ET
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote