Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2023, 05:52 AM   #1
russcc

Default Fair Value for a '28 HighBoy Roadsster

A long time close friend has made an offer to buy a an original '28 roadster on an original '32 frame built as a highboy and set up as flathead powered in the Vern Tardel format, following the Ford Hot Rod book by Vern & Mike Bishop.
The roadster is setup with '40 running gear, original Mor-drop axle, F1 steering, tube shocks. The hood, side panels, and other body components were fabricated of aluminum by a well known New England craftsman and vintage open wheel race care restorer. There is not much data to base a fair value on. The roadster is being sold less engine. We would appreciate you sharing your experience. Please see photos. Please PM with questions. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3600.JPG (168.8 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3601.JPG (158.4 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3602.JPG (155.4 KB, 273 views)
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Fair Value for a '28 HighBoy Roadsster

I suggest you ask your question over on the HAMB. They have a what's it worth section.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 07:45 AM   #3
Tim Ayers

I also have an original '28 roadster on '32 rails with all old school stuff that is also flathead powered. As mine sits, I would think +/- $40K is a reasonable number to start with.

That said, less engine would really hurt the selling price. Selling a running car is much easier than an almost finished car, which this becomes until someone puts a new engine in it.

More than likely, a car like this would normally go to an overseas buyer (Japan or Scandinavia).

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 08-14-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
TJ

With no motor I would ballpark it at $25-30K It's cool looking roadster.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
34fordy

The area in which it is sold has a great influence on the price. Here in the midwest I believe the car would struggle to even reach 20K. A very good replacement flathead V8 does not come cheap!
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
The area in which it is sold has a great influence on the price. Here in the midwest I believe the car would struggle to even reach 20K. A very good replacement flathead V8 does not come cheap!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #7
Krylon32

I had a nice 276 inch FH built about a year ago by Dennis Frings/Frames and by the time I paid Dennis (he furnished everything to build a short block) I bought a pair of those over priced of Offenhauser heads, had Bob at Baxter Ford Parts do a new 2 carb intake, add Charlie's modified Chevy distributor with one of my CNC'd front covers and my 409 water pump kit, final assembly with all ARP fastners, a test run/break in I was barking at close to 13K. Granted I overdo everything I do involving an old car. Your basic good running FH should be at 5k? I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you pulled the motor. After all I said above 40K. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 12:45 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I had a nice 276 inch FH built about a year ago by Dennis Frings/Frames and by the time I paid Dennis (he furnished everything to build a short block) I bought a pair of those over priced of Offenhauser heads, had Bob at Baxter Ford Parts do a new 2 carb intake, add Charlie's modified Chevy distributor with one of my CNC'd front covers and my 409 water pump kit, final assembly with all ARP fastners, a test run/break in I was barking at close to 13K. Granted I overdo everything I do involving an old car. Your basic good running FH should be at 5k? I think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you pulled the motor. After all I said above 40K. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Gary,

I agree 100%. I came back to this post to say a well-built, high performance flathead with buying all new parts would cost someone $8-12K depending; maybe higher.

Selling that car without the motor is real knock on the value.

Curious, did the seller say why he is selling sans engine?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
russcc

Thank you all. I agree. A car is worth more running & driving than sitting still without an engine, In this case, the stock car engine owner bought the i engine from Falc0nii Bros. in the 70's when they retired ii from com0petiion, replacing it with an overhead. The engine sat in his garage until a friend needed it. He was much the skill and inspiration in building the 28 Highboy you see in the photos. So that engine will go to his his daughter's highboy effort now underway. To sum it up, a modest cruising flathead is the power for fun, amd can be replaced relatively easiley in our area.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Would be cool if you shared the price that your friend hopefully gets it for? I'm curious as if your friend decides to pass, who knows . . . maybe I'll take a run at it! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote