Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #21
barkleydave

Default Re: Title

You will see tons of "Open Titles" which is illegal in most states if not all.
Once someone buys a vehicle there is a short grace period then you are required to transfer the title to the new owner.

Lots of titles are not legit and do not match the car so the buyer sits on it and passes the mess to the next owner to deal with. Do not let your impulse push you into it unless you are prepared to get it done right.
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:40 PM   #22
Mulletwagon

There are warning signs that demand caution as you move forward. Just like there are barn finds with no titles, there are also titles of vehicles long since scraped out. Such actual titles can be bought on line and have been used to transfer title on otherwise untitles vehicles. Often does not take much more than an engine restamp or an official looking plate attached to the firewall to make a rogue vehicle saleable. Not saying this is the situation in your case, only that you should be thoroughly convinced you are buying a vehicle which can easily be titled in your state. The best advise which continues to come up is be sure you know the title rules in your state, and do not close the deal until all questions to your DMV and the seller have been answered.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:08 PM   #23
redmodelt

While yes they can be bought on line from some places, still not legal to buy without car that matches it. Just a heads up, NO buying or selling titles allowed without matching car on this site.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 AM   #24
ronn

I have bought and sold titles for years- nothing illegal about it. its what you might do with the title that makes it illegal. Like trading baseball cards......

wasnt that long ago that it was fine selling titles here and on the Hamb.

in the meantime, I have accumulated an incredible collection! Even have a couple of Duesenbergs! It can be a hobby to some of us and frowned upon by many on sites
like this. To each his own.........

more opinions then time in life.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #25
77Birdman

And to beat this dead horse even further, dont take the car with a promise the title is in the mail. I bought a project car, did a lot of negotiation over the phone for weeks. Finally made the three hr. trip to pick it up, car loaded on trailer, extra parts put in the truck, then gave the seller the money and he gave me a receipt followed by: 'I forgot the title at home I will put it in the mail as soon as I get back there'. Dummy me went on my way. The title did show up in the mail within a few days but it was 'skipped'. All worked out in the end but I learned a lesson, buy with your HEAD not your HEART!!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote