Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
materguru

Default which comes first...the windshield or the rubber seal

I have a 32 Ford Cabriolet and next step is putting the windshield in. This particular windshield is unique in that it seems to fit around the windshield frame then sit in the cowl frame. Or so Im thinking. I know there are a few special people here that could give me darn near expert information. All constructive information is appreciated. Bottom-line, do I try to affix the seal around the glass frame or the set it in the cowl frame first. The glass frame seems maybe the way to do it but i am NO expert on the subject especially being first time dealing with this car. thanks in advance
materguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #2
materguru

Default Re: which comes first...the windshield or the rubber seal

please respond
Old 01-11-2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Will D

Guess nobody here has installed one before?

This may help...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1932+...h=832&dpr=2.63
Will D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
russcc

Depending on where you are located, you may want to call Tiny & Sons Auto Glass in Pembroke MA 781 826 6163. They do a lot of vintage cars, and helped me with the windshield in the '29 roadster. There is one of the sons that specializes in the vintage cars, I believe his name is Ed, but I could be wrong.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #5
materguru

my question is does the rubber go around the frame first or try to glue it to the cowl frame and work the windshield frame in it. I know how it mounts and all that but what do I do first with the rubber besides put it where the sun don't shine
Old 01-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
Rodrelic

All the glass I have put in I put the rubber was in the frame first, then the glass was “rolled “ in. Caterpillar and others have another flap that fold in to fill the space in the seam, best system IMO But the best friend is dish soap that lets everything slide and also acts as adhesive when It dries out
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #7
materguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrelic View Post
All the glass I have put in I put the rubber was in the frame first, then the glass was “rolled “ in. Caterpillar and others have another flap that fold in to fill the space in the seam, best system IMO But the best friend is dish soap that lets everything slide and also acts as adhesive when It dries out

sorry Rod I cant seem to make out the statement. Not up to date with obviations and run-ons ..sorry a little or a lot slow here.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Zeke3

In my opinion, you don't have an answer until DavidG weighs in. I am not familiar with the windshield components on a 32 cabriolet to assist with your question. It might help if you posted photos of the parts you are working with.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
TJ

The cabriolet takes a special seal and as I recall it installs in four pieces. I would put the frame in the car and have it loose and then tuck the seal between the frame and the body. As I recall the seal looks like fender welt. Hopefully David G will come to the rescue on this one.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:23 PM   #10
materguru

Thanks all. The seal is a one piece non bonded deal so you have to cut corners and make it all work. It wont fit in the cowl frame and it won't sit around the windshield frame. I just don't want to screw it up and have to buy it again. It wouldn't be the end of the world but why waste. And I agree, David will be the final word on it if he catches this thread. I think he has restored a Cabriolet. I've ask him a little about it but I'm a little slow. thanks again for all input.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #11
TJ

I think if you had titled your post with the words "1932 Cabriolet windshield seal" he probably would have noticed it right away.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #12
DavidG

Actually, I have noticed, but I'm far away from my old car stuff until late March and I haven't got to the point of installing the windshield frame in the cabriolet that I'm restoring. So relying strictly on my memory of what the frame perimeter looks like isn't a very good idea as this is the first cabriolet that I'm restoring. I have good photos of the opening in the body, but not of the perimeter of the windshield frame. With any other '32 body type's windshield, I'd be comfortable answering from memory.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #13
Rodrelic

If you look at cross section illustrations can see that have multiple folds that interlock provide a tension retention once installed.
For my AV8 I made a channel frame and a channel rubber glued in. Next time I will use a seal that interlocks and holds without glue, just for fun,easy to glue in with tub & shower clear
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote