Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Garage Hoist

I have an asymmetrical 2 post bend pak (10,000 lb). Like was mentioned, 2 and 4 post each have their pros and cons. My brother has 2-4 post bend paks. The advantage of the 2 post is that you don't need extra jacks to do wheel/tire/brake work and you can use it to lift off car bodies (no so much with model A's though). The disadvantage is that it can be a tight fit getting in and out of the car as the post is often pretty close to the door. 2 post takes less room also. A 4 post is easier to just drive onto, like was mentioned you can roll it around (out of the way when not in use) and is great for working/wiring under the dash. Just lift to a comfortable height reach up under the dash. You don't need to be a contortionist. Ideally, I would like to have one of each. One disadvantage of my 2 post for model A's is that I installed it in the wide configuration to give me more room to open doors and such and being asymmetrical, the from arms are pretty short and with the narrow frames of the model A I have to be EXACTLY entered for the two front arms to reach the frame rails. That can be a PITA. It's also a pain that I have to set the arms as opposed to just driving on. However, for me, I would still take the 2 post over the 4 post but I sure would like one of each. BTW, I also use mine for lifting my SXS, my snowmobile, and I use it to do tires and wiring on trailers. Just back the trailer up, life the back with the rear two arms and leave the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle. I also hang parts on it for painting and my brother has hung deer and such from his.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #22
Corley

No question, the best tool in the shop. Mine is a 4 post, bought about 30 years ago when they first became popular, and used about twice a week ever since. While both 2 and 4 post both have their place, I vote for the 4 post as most convenient, overall. 2 posts only real advantage is for wheel / brake work, but positioning the arms and lift extensions for a model A is a pain.

For wheel / brake work using a 4 post, drive on, lift the car, slip jack stands under the axles, lower the lift until the wheels are hanging and go to it. Probably easier than positioning the 2 post arms under the model a frame. (Of course newer vehicles with lower frames don't have that issue.)

Just my opinion..
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #23
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
I have an asymmetrical 2 post bend pak (10,000 lb). Like was mentioned, 2 and 4 post each have their pros and cons. My brother has 2-4 post bend paks. The advantage of the 2 post is that you don't need extra jacks to do wheel/tire/brake work and you can use it to lift off car bodies (no so much with model A's though). The disadvantage is that it can be a tight fit getting in and out of the car as the post is often pretty close to the door. 2 post takes less room also. A 4 post is easier to just drive onto, like was mentioned you can roll it around (out of the way when not in use) and is great for working/wiring under the dash. Just lift to a comfortable height reach up under the dash. You don't need to be a contortionist. Ideally, I would like to have one of each. One disadvantage of my 2 post for model A's is that I installed it in the wide configuration to give me more room to open doors and such and being asymmetrical, the from arms are pretty short and with the narrow frames of the model A I have to be EXACTLY entered for the two front arms to reach the frame rails. That can be a PITA. It's also a pain that I have to set the arms as opposed to just driving on. However, for me, I would still take the 2 post over the 4 post but I sure would like one of each. BTW, I also use mine for lifting my SXS, my snowmobile, and I use it to do tires and wiring on trailers. Just back the trailer up, life the back with the rear two arms and leave the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle. I also hang parts on it for painting and my brother has hung deer and such from his.
You may need these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheel_adaptors_0209.jpg (27.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #24
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
You may need these:
Ah, to lift from the tires. Cool. Thanks for that.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #25
Dave in MN

Two post symetrical 9000lb BendPack. I have a vaulted ceiling in my shop at about 13 ft to the peak. The lift is centered under the peak as well as an 8" steel beam with a rolling trolley for a 3000# chain hoist. Both work well in my shop.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
holdover

I have two Bend-pac 4 post lifts, one a 9K the other a 14K extra wide and extra long, which is bolted down, the 9K can be moved on dollies from Bend-pac but I keep it in one place, it does not require being bolted down as both platforms are bolted to the cross pieces. I considered getting a two post but felt the 4 posts would serve me better and after 12 years no regrets. They sell a trolley jack that you can use to jack up wheels, but the 14K has one fixed platform and one adjustable one so I can adjust the width to use a floor jack and jack stands to get the wheels off the platform. I have a 40 X 60 garage with scissor trusses, 5/12 pitch outside -3/12 inside. Center clearance is a bit over 15 feet garage walls are 10' 6". I have one lift in the center of the garage in the back section (the 14K lift) and one on the right side. There is enough room to stack a Mustang on the side lift with my Miata below. I purchased the 14K to accommodate crew cab pickups and my LWB AA. Tonight there are 8 cars in the garage without any double stacking, plus my 4 wheeler and a bunch stuff. Good luck, you will wonder how you lived without it after you buy one, and at 74 I couldn't do what I do without one.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #27
klawockvet

I picked up a 12000 Aamco, made in Canada, a few years ago. Its a 4 post and I love it. My son in law hates it and thinks a two post is better. He doesnt understand the pain of getting under a car to position the arms on a two post. I love being able to drive a car or truck onto the lift and not having to worry about position. There are options to allow the wheels to be removed and I have done that many times. I have the place with the 4 post up for sale and I am removing the lift to take it to my new house. At my age I dont think I can get by with anything but a top of the line 4 post.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #28
Licensed to kill

A lot of great posts (no pun intended) and many that point out the pros and cons of 2 post vs 4 post. I have a 2 post and, for me and my purposes, a 2 post is preferable to a 4 post. However, if I was only maintaining vehicles and doing the normal repairs and, especially if my first focus was model A's, I would have a 4 post instead. before I bought my 2 post, I went on a hotrod forum that I follow and asked for advice, much the same as the OP here. The OVERWHELMING response was "get a 2 post" followed by the reasons why. One of the main reason i bought what i did was room. A 4 post would simply take up too much room in my little 40X60 shop so really wasn't an option for me. There was also one other BIG advantage for me to a 2 post and that was to lift the body off cars/trucks.Without the room restriction and without the desire to lift off bodies, I would have gone with a 4 post. I suspect that most people that haunt a forum like this one would find a 4 post much more practical.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #29
Pat/Ohio

I have the Backyard Buddy 4-post lift in my garage. Have had it over 15 years with no problems. Great for oil changes, brake work, exhaust work, I even used it while replacing the rearend in my '40 Conv.

When I built my garage, I built it with the lift in mind. I have no ceiling over the lift and have 12'x12' pitch roof. And keep in mind, the Backyard Buddy is built in America (Warren, OH) and they use only U.S. or Canadian steel. I won't compare it with the 2-post lift as I have never had one.

Stay Safe,
Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage AB.jpg (76.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage E.jpg (76.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage D.jpg (66.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 40 Ford on Lift A.jpg (43.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0018.jpg (82.1 KB, 70 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #30
katy

Home made style:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 post lift adapters 1.jpg (62.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #31
Dodge

I have a Mohawk 2 post its the best lift I've ever used. I have had it for about 25 yrs.
It's never had a problem.
In my air plane hanger I have a single post lift with a leg on one side. I couldn't use a
2 post lift there because of the width. It works great for working on a car or storing one
above the airplane wing. The disadvantage is it has the 4 arms on a platform in the middle
so pulling a trans out of a modern car is out of the question.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #32
Jim/GA

Why not both?

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #33
Davew

I was looking at the garage journal page and read about single post lifts. Anyone use these?
https://www.redmount.ie/single-post-vehicle-lift#
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:56 PM   #34
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Home made style:
Katy, why the plywood, what is that providing?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #35
Pat/Ohio

I understand that The Backyard Buddy Company has been sold. The new owner is Steel Valley Lifts. https://steelvalleylifts.com/

Here is another website that explains the sale:
https://businessjournaldaily.com/lan...ackyard-buddy/

They are still located in Warren, OH.

Stay safe!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #36
katy

Quote:
Katy, why the plywood, what is that providing?
Dunn, they're not mine, just something I copied/saved from the interweb.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #37
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
I was looking at the garage journal page and read about single post lifts. Anyone use these?
https://www.redmount.ie/single-post-vehicle-lift#
A saw a similar one a few years ago that went up at about a 45° angle.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #38
denis4x4

When I bought my BYB, it was less than $2,000 at a Goodguy’s show in Scottsdale 20 years ago. There’s no comparison with the off shore brands, some of them are real crap and I wouldn’t walk under them for any amount of money
Old 05-05-2020, 06:38 PM   #39
Roxo

I'm thinking real hard on buying a four post lift. My top choice was a lift from Advantage lifts. I like some of there upgrades over other lifts.
I went to their website and they have a live chat that pops up. So I asked where are they Manufactured? Comes back "CHINA"
Are any made in the USA anymore?
Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #40
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxo View Post
I'm thinking real hard on buying a four post lift. My top choice was a lift from Advantage lifts. I like some of there upgrades over other lifts.
I went to their website and they have a live chat that pops up. So I asked where are they Manufactured? Comes back "CHINA"
Are any made in the USA anymore?
The Backyard Buddy