Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
100IH

Default Re: Club Thinning

Consider the housing market.Young couples can't afford to buy a house to live in or have kids until they are in their forties. A's have gone up a fair amount but the relative cost of doing a restoration has far out paced costs in the recent past and the number of knowledgeable technicians with experience has dropped with higher prices. We all know that you can't do it right and not loose your butt. On the other hand cars being sold often are being sold by a "cover the faults" type person where most all internals are someone else's junk junk and bondo is the way to fool em. Most of what is available at swap meets is trash. Anything worth using likely is an estate sale and has been saved for 40 or 50 years and certain types in clubs will scoop it up before the widow gets home from the funeral and none of it will ever become available to the young new members. Too many have tasted sour grapes when building an engine or a brake job costs way more than one could buy 4 or 5 complete cars 20 years ago. I have played with A's 50 years and then some and I can't get off the ground with 2 same body type cars that were going to be combined to make one. It's a guaranteed loss. 30 or 40 thousand dollar bills adds up to way over $40K. all to make a car to sell for half of the investment. My driver that goes back to high school days needs the fuel tank leaks fixed and just recently lost the only place that could do the work at any price. Now that's 3 cars to be parted out and taken to the swaps and actually there only hot rod junk at our local swap.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)