Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
carolinamudwalker

Default Rims

On my way to Hershey, any advice on how to check Rims other than take a lug nut along. Also determin determine value? Bob
carolinamudwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
eagle

Default Re: Rims

At a swap meet its a bit of a shot in the dark. Hard to tell how true they will run out. Should be able to see lug nut wear and bent spokes. Also rust inside the rolled rim edge is hard to determine if it has them. I see untested wheels for either years priced around $20. Much more for tested and guaranteed wheels.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

if i could not spin a rim on a hub i would not buy it. Fashion a front hub on a stand and bring it with you. If the runout is much over 1/8" i would not buy it. Plus the usual inspection, of course.

If someone hit a curb with much force, there will be runout.
Also, in my opinion, straightening spokes is a bit of a joke, it is too easy to introduce runout this way
Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Bob-A

Post Re: Rims

The last time I bought some 21" wheels. I used a Model-A spindel with bearings & hub C-clamped to a jack stand. This way I could check the run out on the rims. Worked but very heavy to lug around. Fortunately it wasn't at a swap meet. It was at the seller's house.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

For checking wheels, I saw a spindle/hub assembly that popped into a trailer hitch receiver!
Friend, Chuck has 5 of these, mounted on a large steel wheel, for painting wheels, also, a "clothes" line with many hooks, for painting small parts! OH, how they SHINE in the SUN!
Bill W.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
jw hash

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
instead of a lug nut take a dime, if it goes though the holes they are junk. look for broken spokes or ones that have been welded. look at the bead area for signs of running on a flat tire. look for pitting. once they pass that inspection. you might have a good wheel.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

contact the guy on here that was taking the perfect set and do a deal with him before arrival. I thought he answered one of your previous posts. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
ronn

pricing- 25.-50. each is about normal, depending on condition
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Big hammer

I roll them on smooth surface, concrete floor. If they wobble or jump up and down they will need work!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:23 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

Can you believe it, Minerva had 19" Firestones & NO balance weights & was TOTALLY smooth, up to 75 MPH! I "wonder" if Glenn put in DYNA-BEADS???
Bill Lucky
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
ronn

Can you believe it, Minerva had 19" Firestones & NO balance weights & was TOTALLY smooth, up to 75 MPH!
Bill Lucky

at 76mph, she was all over the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #12
1931 flamingo

Bill: H O W F A S T ? ? ?
Are you still on your meds??
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
CarlG

Spedo calibrated in kilometers ???
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Spedo calibrated in kilometers ???
NO,MAN,
Minerva would FLY, with 3:78's & NO overdrive! We did this ONCE only. Speedo was pegged @ 75 & the Weber had a little left on the secondary, then we went more! I believe we were doing 80 & the exhaust heater was COOKING me! KRAZY Gregg was at the FLIGHT stick & I was looking out for Freeway Cops. We picked up PIZZA, while the heater wuz HOT Model A's are FUN!
OH, once I saw a pic of an AA Truck speedo, with numbers that read up to 80! Is that common?---The Dog sed, "ONLY ON A STEEP DOWNHILL, WITH A FULL LOAD UF GRAVEL"!!!
Bill Nervous

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 09-20-2016 at 08:56 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Heh Bill. The more I read the more I am convinced, we are indeed lucky to have you around! You were one wild, fun loving young hot rodder. Hopefully you have slowed down a wee bit my friend! Wayne
Old 09-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
carolinamudwalker

Thanks for the input guys, If I were a vender at Hershey or anywhere trying to sell rims I would have the spindle set up at my display table, but that is just me. The dime idea was one I did not think about. I am running on rims that I have to grind down the washers to keep them from hitting the drums. I know they are trash.I dont have access to a hub & spindle set up,and it would be awkward to haul around at Hershey with the model A venders so spread out. Who ever set this up must have been tip-towing -through-the -tulips. Thanks again Bob N.C.
carolinamudwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Ray in La Mesa

An added way to check the integrity of the spokes is to strike each one with your pocket knife or similar solid item to hear the ring. Different ring tones indicate different tension of the spokes, for what ever reason, just another in the list of things to check and look for the cause.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 PM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinamudwalker View Post
Thanks for the input guys, If I were a vender at Hershey or anywhere trying to sell rims I would have the spindle set up at my display table, but that is just me. The dime idea was one I did not think about. I am running on rims that I have to grind down the washers to keep them from hitting the drums. I know they are trash.I dont have access to a hub & spindle set up,and it would be awkward to haul around at Hershey with the model A venders so spread out. Who ever set this up must have been tip-towing -through-the -tulips. Thanks again Bob N.C.
Did you contact the Hershey vendor that had the perfect set of rims for sale to make a pre Hershey deal? Wayne