Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Fear of Showing Numbers?

I've always wondered what is the fear of showing engine, body, and frame numbers, as well as fear of showing license plate numbers here?
I've posted my numbers in hopes that it will be useful for those doing research to establish change dates for certain parts of the car.

After all, these numbers can be viewed at any car show.

If someone thinks they can take the numbers and have a title card made up, then come to my house and claim my car, well, they'd be in for a battle since I've held the title for a number of years.

It seems posting the numbers is a good thing to do to help someone doing research.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Fear of Showing Numbers?

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. - FDR
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
DougVieyra

I am afraid of paranoia.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Beauford

It would be neat to be able to trace numbers to original owners if that was even possible. I'd like to know who could afford a leatherback in those days but cobble the heck out of a car.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
jm29henry

Tom, I don't see any problem with showings numbers .
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

If anyone uses their license plate number as an online banking password, please post an image here:

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'm AFRAID to show my AGE!
Bill Paranoid
Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
J Franklin

You know this isn't a Ford thread exactly?
Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
pooch

It will be ...when a thief can get name and address from the license plate , sometimes a pic of the property with garages or barns where the car is kept and also sometimes talk of when the owner is going on a trip .

Then when he comes back to find his model A gone, this will then be a legitimate thread.

I am webmaster for my local club, and I will not post license plate number, NOR surnames, NOR towns of members.

I know thieves can see the license number when car is out and about, but why hand it to them on a platter while they troll from their computer ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I know thieves can see the license number when car is out and about, but why hand it to them on a platter while they troll from their computer ?
I think what Tom is asking, what good does it do even a thief to see my license plate number?
Old 01-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #11
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
It will be ...when a thief can get name and address from the license plate , sometimes a pic of the property with garages or barns where the car is kept and also sometimes talk of when the owner is going on a trip .

Then when he comes back to find his model A gone, this will then be a legitimate thread.

I am webmaster for my local club, and I will not post license plate number, NOR surnames, NOR towns of members.

I agree Pooch 100%.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
captndan

My license numbers are Colt and Glock.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #13
mhsprecher

There is so much data out there for the asking now, I think blanking out a license plate number is a bit silly. If you have a nice Corvette or some other higher desirable car, maybe you should worry a little, but our Model A's, come on. Crooks want something that is easily disposed of.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
ursus

Let's say your car was built from parts of other cars. At some point lost to history the frame number was used by a restorer and the engine number was used by a hot rodder wishing to license his street rod as just another old car. The rodder sells the engine to a buyer in a state with lax registration rules and it goes into another rebuilt Model-A and is registered under that number. Now, somebody or some insurer or some DMV database discovers the duplication and the trouble begins. What if the Model A you have legally owned for 25 years turns out to have been stolen from a barn 26 years ago? Maybe it's better to just keep some numbers to yourself.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Let's say your car was built from parts of other cars. At some point lost to history the frame number was used by a restorer and the engine number was used by a hot rodder wishing to license his street rod as just another old car. The rodder sells the engine to a buyer in a state with lax registration rules and it goes into another rebuilt Model-A and is registered under that number. Now, somebody or some insurer or some DMV database discovers the duplication and the trouble begins. What if the Model A you have legally owned for 25 years turns out to have been stolen from a barn 26 years ago? Maybe it's better to just keep some numbers to yourself.
This has happened in the past. People have had to give up their old car because of it, people whom may have owned it for 20 years or better and all of a sudden it surfaces on some state's DMV stolen list. If that happens the current owner is SOL and has to forfeit the car. Why take the risk?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
This has happened in the past. People have had to give up their old car because of it, people whom may have owned it for 20 years or better and all of a sudden it surfaces on some state's DMV stolen list. If that happens the current owner is SOL and has to forfeit the car. Why take the risk?
What risk? Are you saying that there are DMV employees that scour the net looking for numbers they can trace to see if the vehicle is registered properly.

I understand what you are saying but in the context of this thread how would your post fit in with showing the engine number in a picture? Again I understand your post and it does happen.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 01-21-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I've always wondered what is the fear of showing engine, body, and frame numbers, as well as fear of showing license plate numbers here?
I agree. Has anyone here actually gone to one of those pay sites for a license plate look up and actually paid the money and seen the results?

What REALLY gets me is all those who have their car advertised on Craig's List or some other web site or printed material and block off the license number. All I need to do to find out where the car is is to call or email the owner and ask the address where I can see the car.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
J Franklin

Oregon does not give out owner info from license #s except to authorities. Other states I don't know about.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Oregon does not give out owner info from license #s except to authorities. Other states I don't know about.
Neither does Washington State.

Here's some good info on those "free" license plate search companies...

http://www.docusearch.com/license-pl...rs-online.html

http://www.docusearch.com/license-pl...ine-print.html
Old 01-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #20
redmodelt

I think many states do a check before issuing any paper work to see if it's stolen.
If you are worried about someone seeing your plate number, guess you should just hide it in the garage and never drive it or take it out in public where someone might take a photo of the front/rear and esp the plate because they are going to steal it from you.
As far as posting your motor number, you do know that you don't have to post the whole number? X's work good as substitute of some of the numbers if your worried.