Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2022, 09:02 PM   #21
petehoovie

Default Re: Lawson's Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Where's the like button ?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-30-2022 at 09:16 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:24 PM   #22
cas3

Lawson, your offer is quite remarkable. I am sure the food is good, and the company and knowledge gained would be a life long memory. Here in the swamp, we are preparing for the swamp to freeze and be replaced by 2 feet of snow until mid april, so there is much to do at home....during the day, but at night I play in the shop till later than I should.

I have a couple 60 blocks, and the small 60 trans so it could be done here if you wish to ship it. I have equipment and fabricating skills, but my eye sight aint what it used to be, so perfect looking welds dont happen much here anymore, but...bad welds never happen here. Acceptable would be the term I would use. But beautiful tig welds like we see on Al Gores inter-web...no. I usually have used steel in stock, which would need sand blasting after assembly, but really, even new steel would also need cleaning up to paint. The 1400. estimate seems crazy to me, but I understand a business has expenses to meet.

So after this rambling, if you want I will mock it up with my parts and your design, and ship at your expense, my labor free. new steel at cost if you wish. send me a phone # and we'll talk about it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:31 PM   #23
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Lawson,
I hate to ruin your "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me" statement, but you are talking about 2 different organizations, and please get that straight.

The Early Ford V-8 Club of America and the Early Ford V-8 Foundation are NOT the same organization.
Twiddle dee dee, tweedle dee dum. For tax purposes, perhaps.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:37 AM   #24
1942deluxe

Lawson, are there any community colleges close by with a welding program or maybe even a high school with an industrial arts program or FFA? There might be a young person that would love to make your stand as a project.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #25
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Yes, cas 3, even I have three welders, gas, electric and MIG, but my beads leave a lot to be desired nowadays.

If you want to come over my way and spend the better part of two or three days time fabricating a suitable display stand, I will be more than willing to put you up at my house and feed you some great Southern cooking throughout your sojourn.

I have personally visited several welding fabricators in my area and discussed this project with them at quite some length, showing them photographs, etc, but most only do industrial fabrication, no "small stuff".

I did finally come up with two firms that would give me a price on a rather unsophisticated display stand. In fact I showed both a picture of the display stand I had in mind, and spent quite a while discussing the details with each. It is a display stand that is presently on display at the V8 museum, with a cutaway engine on it. Perhaps some of you are familiar with that display. It is the same stand that I "discussed" at quite some length, via email and over the phone, with the head man at the V8 museum, Josh Conrad.

Both firms gave me a quote. One was $1,000.00, and the other was $1,400.00. I was quite surprised at the quotes to be perfectly honest with everyone, but I am not a metal fabricator nor have I had the occasion to visit such an establishment since I retired some 35 years ago. These two firms are the only ones that basically would even consider taking on the job.

The firm that gave me the $1,000.00 quote has since gone up to $1,300.00, and was quick to impress upon me that his quote did not include casters, painting or powder coating. I might also point out that he wanted me to bring the engine to his place for measurements and fabrication of the stand. At 91 and somewhat physically handicapped I am simply unable to do that.

The $1,400.00 bidder is still firm on his price. He is asking $850.00 down and has assured me that he will come by my shop for all measurements and templates and deliver the completed display stand to my shop and help me mount the engine and transmission onto the stand to make certain everything fits and passes muster with me before I pay him the balance due on the stand. I challenge anyone to come up with a better price in my area.

I simply refuse to allow this rare engine and transmission combination, which I have worked so hard on, and spent so much of my limited resources on to be displayed on basically the equivalent to three concrete blocks as has been suggested. I am certain such a display would be refused, hands down, by the museum, and I certainly would not want my name associated with it if it was accepted.

There, I've let it all hang out, and I'm glad.

Sounds to me like the guy for $1400.00 can produce a quality product and will stand by his work. That said maybe some Barners can come together to help with the costs. So I'll offer up $100.00 towards the stand to get things started. If others are willing to step up this project should be finished. Just suggesting.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:10 AM   #26
ssffnomad

I am in for $50.
Stretch
ssffnomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:13 AM   #27
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Sounds to me like the guy for $1400.00 can produce a quality product and will stand by his work. That said maybe some Barners can come together to help with the costs. So I'll offer up $100.00 towards the stand to get things started. If others are willing to step up this project should be finished. Just suggesting.
Thanks for the offer of $100.00 toward building the engine display stand, 51504bat;2169314

I will accept donations, but I refuse to ask for them.

If anyone feels led to make a donation, my mailing address is:

Lawson Cox
971 Cochran Rd.
Covington, GA 30014

Thanks in advance.

Lawson

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 09-26-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:09 AM   #28
51504bat

My checks in the mail assuming you're going forward with ordering the stand.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:25 AM   #29
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
My checks in the mail assuming you're going forward with ordering the stand.
Yes, I have faith in Fordbarners, and your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2022, 03:17 PM   #30
51504bat

Bump.
Old 09-26-2022, 04:05 PM   #31
35fordtn

Lawson,
I can easily build a Stand for that engine (I have a display engine 60 hp as well and a few 85hp's) and Each I have less than $25.00 in the stands. They arent fancy but look nice and lets face it a non running Flathead display engine isn;t very valuable so why spend $1000 or more on a simple stand. Look at Flathead engine #1 at the Henry ford it is a simple stand as well.

To reinstate what was said above The V-8 Club and the Foundation Muesem are in no way the same organization.

I have a dear heart to the V-8 Club and Don't like hearing a organization that has brought so many together being bashed. As a former president I am aware there is always TWO sides to every story.

As a member I will thank you and especially Jerry (RIP) for the efforts put forth into the book and the minimal amount of it that was completed is in good hands thanks to the generosity of Jerry's Family.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:03 PM   #32
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Lawson,
I can easily build a Stand for that engine (I have a display engine 60 hp as well and a few 85hp's) and Each I have less than $25.00 in the stands. They arent fancy but look nice and lets face it a non running Flathead display engine isn;t very valuable so why spend $1000 or more on a simple stand. Look at Flathead engine #1 at the Henry ford it is a simple stand as well.
Michael, please post pictures of the stands you can build for Lawson...

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #33
Kens 36

Michael posted a picture of his stand back in August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475F9700-C886-4D7B-828D-6E390007DA9F.jpg (7.8 KB, 338 views)
Old 09-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #34
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Michael posted a picture of his stand back in August.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:01 PM   #35
Lanny

And PeeWee Herman is watching over it...So Don't Touch

Old 09-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #36
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Lawson,

To reinstate what was said above The V-8 Club and the Foundation Muesem are in no way the same organization.

I have a dear heart to the V-8 Club and Don't like hearing a organization that has brought so many together being bashed. As a former president I am aware there is always TWO sides to every story.

As a member I will thank you and especially Jerry (RIP) for the efforts put forth into the book and the minimal amount of it that was completed is in good hands thanks to the generosity of Jerry's Family.
Michael:

I just spent the better part of a day writing a lengthy response to your posting. As fate, my age and my poor computer skills would have it, I somehow seemed to zap it into cyberspace. Perhaps it was the Good Lord's way of telling me not to post it, however I do want to clear things up in one respect.

Without going into facts concerning how I got involved in helping Jerry with the Pickup book and not meaning to disrespect my dear friend Jerry Grayson, or his family in any way, I wrote every single word of the rough draft of the ill fated 35-36 Ford pickup book that Jerry's family sent you. Yes, the rough draft is short, but bear in mind it only addressed the cab and bed of the pickup. Nothing else.

Jerry wrote nary a word nor furnished nor took nary a photograph in the draft of the book. If Jerry's daughters somehow indicated Jerry wrote it, or if that is how you interpreted what they furnished you, I will write it off as a misunderstanding on everyone's part.

I will also point out that I turned everything I had on the book to Don Rogers where he might consider including all of our work in any re-writing of his excellent 35-36 Ford book. I did not even keep a copy of anything for for my own records or use. I have regretted that ever since. Jerry stated that he had done the same, but he obviously kept copies.

Additionally, I had no intentions to cast aspersions against either of the "two separate and distinct" Ford organizations under discussion herein.

All of the deeply felt disappointment and heartbreak caused to Jerry and me on the pickup book, I believe to have been caused by the particular individuals "in charge" of the EFV8CA at the time the book was under consideration. The same applies to the people in charge of the separate and distinct Ford Foundation on the display engine project.

Both of the entities involved are simply heartless, bloodless corporations.

Lawson

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 09-30-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:07 PM   #37
51504bat

Any updates on the stand?
Old 09-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #38
DavidG

Lawson,

Michael is not the only one well aware of the other side of the story. It's high time you stop blaming others for what you brought on yourself regarding the infamous '35-'36 pickup truck book.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:43 AM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Lawson,

Michael is not the only one well aware of the other side of the story. It's high time you stop blaming others for what you brought on yourself regarding the infamous '35-'36 pickup truck book.

Yup, I believe that I'm pretty-well aware of that little story, myself! Word DOES get around!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #40
Lawson Cox

Coop: I only followed well established business practices as I always do. My complaints came about because we were lied to by the club treasurer, who incidentally absconded with some 400K of the clubs money so I learned from very reliable sources. I hate liars and thieves with a passion.