Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
Wareagle

Default Pin stripping paint

Where can one find apple green pin stripping paint? My painter cannot find it through his normal suppliers. Thanks.
15 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren
and loving it!!
Wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Stew Masche

Default Re: Pin stripping paint

Check out Eastwood body supply products at www.eastwood.com In their paint section, they offer pin striping paint by a company called 1 Shot. They show a color called Sublime Green, which, by the sample they show, looks close to Apple Green.
It sells for $16.99 for a half pint. You can also check the 1Shot website at
www.1shot.com to see if there is a distributor in your area to see an actual sample. Your pin striper should be able to tint it, if needed.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
marc silva

I have been striping for 45 years. If you want Apple green I agree you would be safer picking a standard color from the 1 Shot palette. You really cant mix 1 shot colors to get the exact color because they are not true mixing colors. Striping paint is oil based so trying to do it with a different type of paint really does not work, it does not flow while "pulling" a line. It needs to dry REAL slow to work correctly.
marc silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc silva View Post
I have been striping for 45 years. If you want Apple green I agree you would be safer picking a standard color from the 1 Shot palette. You really cant mix 1 shot colors to get the exact color because they are not true mixing colors. Striping paint is oil based so trying to do it with a different type of paint really does not work, it does not flow while "pulling" a line. It needs to dry REAL slow to work correctly.

Interesting thought. Maybe you are correct. Sure would like for Jim Brand to comment as both he and my striper seem to be able to mix 1-Shot Striping Enamels to get them close enough for matching the color ship in the Paint & Refinish guide. While not Apple Green, my striper has mixed Tacoma Crème in 1-Shot and then pulled a stripe on a wheel that was already sprayed in Tacoma urethane. Matched when dried.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
Rex_A_Lott

I've mixed 1-shot colors for my own use, but it was a hit or miss kind of thing.
I think what Marc meant was you can not mix to a given recipe like they do at a paint store and be able to confidently say "This is apple green".
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
LopezCarguy

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have two cars needing striping, anyone know of one in Northwest area of Washington??
Old 08-08-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
bobpo1

I've been a striper for over 58 years and have used One Shot almost from day one, right out of the can most of those years. I add a drop or two of Smoothie to the paint to eliminate Fish Eye. It comes 1/2 oz. cans. Will keep for years and goes a long way if sealed. I personally close the lid when I'm done with the paint then store it upside down.

If you have to mix colors to get what you want, mix a couple of drops of colors and paint some passes onto a clean piece of acetate (lots of packaging comes in that so you wouldn't have to go out a buy it). KEY;;; Let it dry overnight on the acetate and hold the acetate over the desired color for a match. It's a good idea to mix several combinations of colors, keeping a list of how many drops are used to create each.

I've mixed One Shots in my sign business for all those years...

Happy Striping.................
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
bobpo1

You know what, I learned from a real old timer that putting a drop of black in a tablespoon of yellow and the black will barely be noticeable, but it will help the yellow cover. I have tried it and it does work...
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
jb-ob

Jim P.,

There is no source for Model A striping colors. That's a good thing because your Apple Green wheels will probably NOT match the next guy's ! It's better to match the stripe color by eye against your wheels.

Most of this depends on how accurate a match you want. As suggested, there are some outta the can greens that from 40 feet might resemble Apple Green.

The better match = more effort.

Jim B.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote