Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Firepower flyer

Default Headers for 48-52 f1s

Hey guys I'm looking for opinions for headers on my 50 f1.I know there are several mfgs of them but is there ones that are better as far as fit,or ones to stay away from?The truck is all stock but the exhaust is pretty shot,I'm debating if headers are worth the extra money or should I stick with the manifolds.Also what size exhaust pipe gives the flatties the best sound?
Thanks Joe
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Headers for 48-52 f1s

I use Red's Headers for our flatheads, (I've got a set on our '51 F-1). I also use Brockman Mellow-Tone steel packed mufflers (Brockman will custom make mufflers for you). I also run different size exhaust pipes (depending on the car/truck) each one has a little different sound (depending on the Flathead build) and each one sounds great. Vic
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

I will second Vic on Red's Headers. I tried a pair of Fenton headers on my 39 chassis but they have clearance problems around the steering box. Red's fit perfectly.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
f1builder

matter of style but i prefer fentons, they sound better, not tinny, and last forever. fitment can be an issue but i have found ways to work them in. my 52 f1 had fentons and it wasn't that big a deal to fit them. also, i like the sound of the old smithy's (smittys) with the fentons. very cool. no matter what you use the flatty will sound great.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
matter of style but i prefer fentons, they sound better, not tinny, and last forever. fitment can be an issue but i have found ways to work them in. my 52 f1 had fentons and it wasn't that big a deal to fit them. also, i like the sound of the old smithy's (smittys) with the fentons. very cool. no matter what you use the flatty will sound great.

Sound, like beauty, is an individual preference. Longevity is another story, I installed a set of Red's headers on our '53 Sunliner in 1988 and twenty three years later they are still as good as new. I also installed a set of "original" Smithy's steel packed mufflers on the car at the same time, and they still sound good. Do you have a source for "original steel packed Smithy's"? As I understand it, Smithy's are now made off shore and no longer use steel packing. My friend has an original set of Fenton headers on his '41 Business Coupe, he had some clearance issues with the steering box, that were relatively easy to get around however, the Fenton's caused a much larger problem with the dipstick tube. The tube had to be rerouted and a flexible (round wire) dip stick had to be fabricated. I've never had that problem with Red's headers. Vic
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Ken Crans

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just got a set of center dump headers from Speedway for an 8BA. i like the sound of the original Cherry Bombs. Nice sound
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Firepower flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Crans View Post
I just got a set of center dump headers from Speedway for an 8BA. i like the sound of the original Cherry Bombs. Nice sound
What chassis are you using them in??
Firepower flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
mtflat

f1builder is the first guy I've heard of that could make fentons work on the F series trucks. Usually they hit the steering gearbox.

I run Red's headers, have the same pair on my daily driver for over 10 years and they're still solid. I just swapped them to another flatty.

Red's also sells the exhaust pipe from the header to the tail pipe. 1 1/2" to 2" tail pipe sounds pretty good in my opinion.
mtflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
49r

I have Speedway centre dump headers on my RH drive 49 F1. Perfect fit and look great. Twin pipes and local (New Zealand) glass-pac mufflers sound great too. Years ago when I was playing around I ran 2 1/4 inch pipe from stock manifolds to these type of mufflers and then 5 feet of 3 1/2 inch pipe from each muffler exhausting in front of each rear well. Very nice sound!
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
Ken Crans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower flyer View Post
What chassis are you using them in??
Firepower,That would be a 48 F-1 frame.
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #11
chuck stevens

Not easy or quick, but very gratifying- build your own. I have done two sets and every time I swear I won't do another. This for my 40 todor, it needed to clear the steering shaft and make it through the frame. I enlarged the center pipe to two inches to help the flow. They are made from "U" bends from speedway, flange is home made
3/8 mild steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flattie headers 046.jpg (110.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg flattie headers 047.jpg (66.5 KB, 16 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
pauldeborr

Red's Headers also worked perfectly for me. But mine is a 1950 F-3, not sure if the frame is exactly the same or not.
pauldeborr is offline   Reply With Quote