Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #1
Synchro909

Default Stipe Oil Pump

I have an A engine that I use for touring that I built a couple of years ago. I inserted the bearings and a few other things including pressure feeding the middle main bearing. I made and fitted a pressure relief valve to maintain 25 psi to it. The engine has proved to be EXCELLENT and very reliable. I am now starting to project to build another like it but I find that the Stipe oil pumps like I used in the first engine are not available. I know the instructions with the inserts say that the original oiling system is adequate but I cruise at about 50 mph with a camper trailer behind. The engine is working hard and I MUST have reliability so I want to pressure that main bearing.
Does anybody know where I can get one of those pumps and as an alternative, what other pump can be grafted in. Will a brand new A pump do the job? What modifications would be required to it? I wonder whether it can be made to work by restricting the flow into the top of the motor to up the pressure but I wouldn't want to restrict it too much - how much is good?
I've heard that an oil pump from a V8 engine can be made to work but they are as scarce as rocking horse crap here. What modifications are needed? Does somebody do it and able to sell a completed unit? What are the chances of buying a V8 oil pump?
Any other suggestions??
Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Stipe Oil Pump

Are you installing a counterweighted crank?
If so then I wouldn't worry about adding high pressure to the center main. Counterweights will take a lot of the load off the bearings and add to their life.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #3
colin1928

The V8 pumps are available new from at least 3 makers easy to get
and a straight forward conversion
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Are you installing a counterweighted crank?
If so then I wouldn't worry about adding high pressure to the center main. Counterweights will take a lot of the load off the bearings and add to their life.
Tom, I agree with what you say about counterweights easing the stress on the bearings and yes, the motor will have a new Burlington crank shaft in it with extra weight on it but the motor works hard for long periods when we tour. 500 - 600 km in the day towing a camper at 50+ mph that weighs as much or more than the car through areas where help is a long way away means I would like it to be as reliable as possible. We often have to carry fuel because one fuel stop to the next is further than a tank will take us. The motor in my other touring car has been good with its pressurised middle main bearing and I would be happy for the same again. Bullet proof is important.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
steve hackel

Try Bob Bouldin in N.Y - 585 268 7746 He has the converted V8 pumps to fit into the model A' engine........ great stuff & I have one too
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin1928 View Post
The V8 pumps are available new from at least 3 makers easy to get
and a straight forward conversion
Of course they are available. (I just whacked my forehead with my palm!)
I'll ring you to talk about the conversion.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
Pete

Dan Price makes a pump that bolts in and has a built in CALIBRATED adjustable relief valve.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Dan Price makes a pump that bolts in and has a built in CALIBRATED adjustable relief valve.
Pete, Do you (or anybody ) have a contact for Dan please.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Pete, Do you (or anybody ) have a contact for Dan please.
[email protected]

should do it.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:04 AM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
[email protected]

should do it.
thanks
Old 10-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I'm going to give my opinion here based on my own experiences and thoughts. I will preface by saying both Bill & Dan are great friends of mine, so in no way is any of this derogatory towards theirs product.

I personally think the mindset of 'modifying for reliability' often times is utter nonsense! Folks often tell me things like "I want to modify it so I can drive it." I just shake my head. Using Synchro's scenario, he needs to pull a heavy load at a higher RPM for a sustained time ...and wants to do this reliably. My first thought is how does this scenario differ from a loaded AA or BB truck back in the mid-1930s. While the truck itself was not seeing 50 mph, -the engine sure thought it was! And, more often than not, the comparable weight of these trucks far exceeded what Synchros camper will. These trucks with 'stock' Model-A engines were driven in very grueling conditions yet also proved themselves as very reliable workhorses. So what is it that makes it different today that a stock Model-A is not up to the task?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #12
hardtimes

Hey Synchro,
About 10 or more years ago, I used a Stipe custom aluminum pump, as you have done.
I agree with your 'reliability and bullet proof' wants and needs also and that's also why I use Bills pump. Today I used a V8 flathead pump ('46/'48 59A style) made by a 4E4 member and machinist. If you have Jim B book, his contact info is logged in the back of this book. He does EXCELLENT work and has done this mod forever (). Not expensive as others mentioned either ! You need a core for best deal though.
Today, WE spend hundreds of hours and THOUSANDS of $$$$ on an A/B engine that cost fifty odd bucks for stock engine back when. So, we have reason to do the best job for bang for buck, peace of mind and longevity,eh ! Give us some pictures of your build and of your trip when it happens, thanks. Sounds like you are having fun with your/our hobby !
BTW, with the variety of oil pumps made today with lower prices and good craftsmanship, I would not spend the large sum (to me) for another alum pump. Darn good pump though. It is good to have choices !!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #13
juke joint johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I'm going to give my opinion here based on my own experiences and thoughts. I will preface by saying both Bill & Dan are great friends of mine, so in no way is any of this derogatory towards theirs product.

I personally think the mindset of 'modifying for reliability' often times is utter nonsense! Folks often tell me things like "I want to modify it so I can drive it." I just shake my head. Using Synchro's scenario, he needs to pull a heavy load at a higher RPM for a sustained time ...and wants to do this reliably. My first thought is how does this scenario differ from a loaded AA or BB truck back in the mid-1930s. While the truck itself was not seeing 50 mph, -the engine sure thought it was! And, more often than not, the comparable weight of these trucks far exceeded what Synchros camper will. These trucks with 'stock' Model-A engines were driven in very grueling conditions yet also proved themselves as very reliable workhorses. So what is it that makes it different today that a stock Model-A is not up to the task?
Well Said Brent !!! And how often do the New Fangled Do Dads Crap out??
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #14
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Brent,
Please let me preface this with I respect your opinion and you make a good point. It has never ceased to amaze me how motors in the trucks you mentioned lasted as long as they did.
Now here comes the "BUT".
We all know that the middle main bearing is the weak link in these motors (and other 4 cylinder,3 main bearing engines). So here's my reasoning: It is also well known that the bottom end of modern engines is much more durable than they were in those days. Inserted bearings, oil filters, better oil, more bearings and pressurised bearings all play their part in that. I can't change the number of bearings so oil pressure is the only thing I wouldn't have if I didn't modify. I have pressurised the bearing in my other engine and had good results. I am wanting to use the same winning formula again this time. (When you're on a winner, stick to it!)
For solo car touring, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pressure feeding the bearing.
This is not a criticism of your comment or knowledge (much greater than mine). I'd welcome your further input.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
PC/SR

Dan Pirano makes a center main oiling kit that is cheap and easy to install and includes the tap and drill bit. http://modelaparts.net/
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Synchro909

I've had one or two of you ask for a report on our trip. I wrote an article for our club newsletter after our last trip which (long story short) was reprinted in the Desert News from Phoenix Arizona.
For those interested, go to page 6:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...2ZiMGI5ZmZmODg
If you have the time, listen to the poem written by a bush poet at Burke. He did a great job. The link is in the article
Old 10-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
[email protected]

should do it.
This google machine tells me that an email to that address is undeliverable. Darn it!
Old 10-24-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Pete

Quote:
This google machine tells me that an email to that address is undeliverable. Darn it!
Try this phone number then.
614-891-2882
Old 10-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #19
Synchro909

Quote:
Try this phone number then.
614-891-2882
Pete,
I went to his web site and used the email address there on his "Contact Us" option. Seems his email address has changed.
Old 10-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #20
Pete

Quote:
Pete,
I went to his web site and used the email address there on his "Contact Us" option. Seems his email address has changed.
Ok..
Old 10-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #21
Bill Stipe

Quote:
I have an A engine that I use for touring that I built a couple of years ago. I inserted the bearings and a few other things including pressure feeding the middle main bearing. I made and fitted a pressure relief valve to maintain 25 psi to it. The engine has proved to be EXCELLENT and very reliable. I am now starting to project to build another like it but I find that the Stipe oil pumps like I used in the first engine are not available. I know the instructions with the inserts say that the original oiling system is adequate but I cruise at about 50 mph with a camper trailer behind. The engine is working hard and I MUST have reliability so I want to pressure that main bearing.
Does anybody know where I can get one of those pumps and as an alternative, what other pump can be grafted in. Will a brand new A pump do the job? What modifications would be required to it? I wonder whether it can be made to work by restricting the flow into the top of the motor to up the pressure but I wouldn't want to restrict it too much - how much is good?
I've heard that an oil pump from a V8 engine can be made to work but they are as scarce as rocking horse crap here. What modifications are needed? Does somebody do it and able to sell a completed unit? What are the chances of buying a V8 oil pump?
Any other suggestions??
Sorry to say the Stipe oil pumps are back ordered. My son Tony and his crew are still working on camshafts and do have the oil pumps and alum flywheels on back order. it's been real hard to regain ground when we went from a 5 man shop to a 3 man shop as 2 guys retired one 28 years and the other 26 years. you just don't replace that many years of experience. they will keep on it but I can't say when they will be back on the shelf.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Brent,
Please let me preface this with I respect your opinion and you make a good point. It has never ceased to amaze me how motors in the trucks you mentioned lasted as long as they did.
Now here comes the "BUT".
We all know that the middle main bearing is the weak link in these motors (and other 4 cylinder,3 main bearing engines). So here's my reasoning: It is also well known that the bottom end of modern engines is much more durable than they were in those days. Inserted bearings, oil filters, better oil, more bearings and pressurised bearings all play their part in that. I can't change the number of bearings so oil pressure is the only thing I wouldn't have if I didn't modify. I have pressurised the bearing in my other engine and had good results. I am wanting to use the same winning formula again this time. (When you're on a winner, stick to it!)
For solo car touring, I wouldn't go to the trouble of pressure feeding the bearing.
This is not a criticism of your comment or knowledge (much greater than mine). I'd welcome your further input.
Not sure it is really a 'weak link', --AND not so sure that pressurizing the center main is the only thing that makes it a winner. Many center mains fail because the crankshaft was incorrectly ground. In addition, poor babbittting techniques account for a lot of failures. Again, don't overlook the capability of a rebuilt stock oil pump. You likely will be surprised of how much volume, -and pressure they are capable of.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #23
Bill Stipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Maybe it is time to come out of retirement?
LOL, hey Vince you missed my face book video, I actually worked for one week in Wisconsin about 2 weeks ago rough grinding center bearing on A-B cams so they can come down here in about 2 more weeks for me to cut the gears and rough grind the lobes. than off the heat treat!!
I will have to keep you more up dated I see!! LOL I don't want to get too rusty!
Old 03-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #24
M2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Synchro,
About 10 or more years ago, I used a Stipe custom aluminum pump, as you have done.
I agree with your 'reliability and bullet proof' wants and needs also and that's also why I use Bills pump. Today I used a V8 flathead pump ('46/'48 59A style) made by a 4E4 member and machinist. If you have Jim B book, his contact info is logged in the back of this book. He does EXCELLENT work and has done this mod forever (). Not expensive as others mentioned either ! You need a core for best deal though.
Today, WE spend hundreds of hours and THOUSANDS of $$$$ on an A/B engine that cost fifty odd bucks for stock engine back when. So, we have reason to do the best job for bang for buck, peace of mind and longevity,eh ! Give us some pictures of your build and of your trip when it happens, thanks. Sounds like you are having fun with your/our hobby !
BTW, with the variety of oil pumps made today with lower prices and good craftsmanship, I would not spend the large sum (to me) for another alum pump. Darn good pump though. It is good to have choices !!
Bringing this thread back to life.

Who is Jim B? Anyone have his contact details?

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
Bringing this thread back to life.

Who is Jim B? Anyone have his contact details?
Jim Brierly (Spelling?) - a well known on the forums guru engine builder who has campaigned Model A and B engines on the salt flats etc for years.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #26
M2M

Quote:
Jim Brierly (Spelling?) - a well known on the forums guru engine builder who has campaigned Model A and B engines on the salt flats etc for years.

Ah, of course! Sorry Jim

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
dj

Hello
I have one of Dans oil pumps and want to lower the pressure, does anyone know
how to do this? we have 70lbs and want to lower it as oil is being forced out some of the bolts on the side of the engine , the engine has an overhead on it
Thanks Dennis
dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #28
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj View Post
Hello
I have one of Dans oil pumps and want to lower the pressure, does anyone know
how to do this? we have 70lbs and want to lower it as oil is being forced out some of the bolts on the side of the engine , the engine has an overhead on it
Thanks Dennis
Those pumps have an adjustable regulator built in. It is calibrated also. Just dial the pressure you want.
You might want to seal the bolts with O-rings rather than lowering the oil pressure any more.