Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
Django

Default TV show Bomb Girls: '36 Ford Roadster

If you receive REELZ on your cable package, check out the series Bomb Girls, which chronicles women factory works at the start of WWII in Canada. It's pretty good.

One of the main characters has a finace that drives a really nice '36 Roadster that they have shown several times. Last night on episode 5, they even promoted the EFV8 club.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bombgirls.jpg (48.6 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
rebelskichick

Default Re: TV show Bomb Girls: '36 Ford Roadster

great show. great car!
rebelskichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
ford38v8

I haven't seen the show, but wow, I looked through the pics and what a bunch of Hotties!
I very much doubt if the girl's original coveralls fit as well as in the pics!

Again from the pics, the V8 Club sticker stands out nice, as do the modern social values, which I'm not so sure is historically accurate either. On this point I'm more serious now: Where is the value in blatantly glossing over uncomfortable issues? You can say i'm too critical of entertainment, but it's not the same as missing a modern sticker on a car window. If entertainment purports to show it like it was, then it's just plain wrong to rewrite history in the name of entertainment. To deny history is to deny the wrongs committed back then, and is an insult to the victims of that shameful history.

I do, however, enjoy a healthy dose of sexy womens in my entertainments!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Django

Alan, is there anything in particular socially that gave you pause? I didn't live through the era, but do devour anything I can historically in connection with it. Granted this is just a TV show, but since it takes place in Canada, I'm not familiar enough with their '40 social climate to pick up on too much that would be glaringly incorrect.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Vic Piano

With Television and Movies being considered (loosely at best) an art form, it is understandable that the writers/producers took poetic license in conveying the message. However, it's obvious that they (the producers) were not overly concerned with factual accuracy, or the continuity department would have removed or replaced the EFV8 decal with a gas ration sticker (I would think that gas was rationed in Canada as well during the Second World War). As far as I know, the program is not a documentary (it may be considered a docudrama), which would explain the “historical inaccuracies.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Django

I believe that gas wasn't rationed in Canada until 1942, and this first season takes place in the summer through Dec 1941, so a ration sticker wouldn't make sense either.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Alan, is there anything in particular socially that gave you pause? I didn't live through the era, but do devour anything I can historically in connection with it. Granted this is just a TV show, but since it takes place in Canada, I'm not familiar enough with their '40 social climate to pick up on too much that would be glaringly incorrect.
Django .................
In one of the photos, a man is wearing a necklace. I believe that, back then, if a man wore a necklace, he would have been dragged outside and beaten up.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I missed the necklace, but the apparent racial equality in those pictures did not escape notice, which was not the reality of social attitudes during and after WWll. If the producers wanted to sidestep that side of life in the forties, that's well and good, but no, what they did was to present a false reality, and that's just wrong.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Django

I noticed that too, but chalked it up to a difference between Canada and the US. I would see something that seemed odd, but reminded myself this takes place in Canada, not the US. Canada was far more advanced in racial relations and passed a law in '44 prohibiting segregational signs, symbols or notices. They were about 20 years ahead of the times vs the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
Django .................
In one of the photos, a man is wearing a necklace. I believe that, back then, if a man wore a necklace, he would have been dragged outside and beaten up.
MIKE
So no one ever wore a Cross or a St Christopher's medallion (which is what that appears to be) in the 1940s? Particularly someone of Italian descent? I don't buy that.