Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
uncle buck

Default 35-36 driveshaft

I’m thinking I need to grind away the weld holding the ring in these pictures to remove the driveshaft from the pinion shaft. Before I ruin anything I thought I should confirm, am I on the right track? Also, any suggestions on removing the drums with shoes stuck to them? I do have a KR Wilson style drum puller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93F3A2DB-9688-46E1-9EE9-0CF0B618B7C6.jpg (66.2 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 9E53170C-96F5-4A75-BD5C-5676BAA9AC5C.jpg (61.8 KB, 103 views)
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 35-36 driveshaft

looks like some one didnt want to loose the pin under there ! so, yes you need to cut the weld off, or cut the ring and get it off to get at the pin underneath. brakes, first back off the two adjuster bolts, and its best if you can get the wheel to turn before you start pulling the drum. some times a block of wood for protection and then big hammer on the backing plates will break them loose. next act of violence for me would be trying to turn them with the bobcat
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #3
skidmarks

Looks like hydraulic brakes in the pictures. After you back the shoes off, take the 3 bolts out of the wheel cylinders. They are most likely frozen up and doing this lets the shoes move around alittle more and like mentioned above a block of wood and a big hammer will help break the rust loose.

Also back off the lower shoe adjusters, or take the nuts off and nock the bolt through with a punch
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:56 AM   #4
uncle buck

I ground the welds on the ring and knocked the broken pin out. It is now hanging and soaking up penetrating oil on the first axle with the nut removed. I’ll list it soak overnight and remove the wheel cylinder bolts and see if it will come apart. Thanks
Old 12-14-2020, 04:21 AM   #5
Mart

There are shoe retaining clips on the backing plates that can get bent or broken if treated too roughly. As stated de-adjusting all 4 of the adjuster points will help, taking the wheel cylinder bolts out and I hadn't thought of it before but yes, tapping the lower adjuster pivot bolts through would also probably help.
It's interesting that one of the bells is 90 degrees out of orientation. Is it unbolted from the banjo? If it is it might be a good idea to bolt it back on.
The other thing to look for is a racing type hub retainer. If two of the nuts/bolt ends on the backing plate look different from the other two, they might be hub retainers. Make sure the two odd ones are loose.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
It's interesting that one of the bells is 90 degrees out of orientation. Is it unbolted from the banjo?

Mart.

Yes it is
Old 12-15-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
uncle buck

Thanks guys for suggesting unbolting the lower adjusters and wheel cylinders. It also took heat and a bfh and was very tough coming apart but did eventually.