Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Brattons higher quality than Macs

I am replacing my rubber stem tubes with metal stem tubes. I got some from Brattons and the rest during a sale from Macs. Even at a glance it is obvious that Brattons tubes are higher quality than Macs, proving that you get what pay for!

Brattons(pictures 1-2): correct nickel plated dust cover and correctly shaped rim nut/bushing.

Macs (pictures 3-4): cheap looking chromed dust cover and incorrectly shaped rim nut/bushing

Brattons: correct valve cap

Macs: incorrect cheap valve cap

Brattons: arrived completely assembled

Macs: arrived as a box of parts - you are on your own.

The bottom of the rim nuts can't be seen, but the dust covers and valve caps can, so I'll have to replace them. There goes the money I "saved" on the Macs sale!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1767.jpg (70.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1780.jpg (74.5 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1768.jpg (87.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1777.jpg (86.5 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (60.3 KB, 125 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: Brattons higher quality than Macs

Return to Mac's for a refund.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
wrndln

I agree with you, that is one reason why I don't purchase parts from Mac's.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

live and learn
you must have seen other threads about the products and services.. if not do a search
and if you do plan to ever return something read the retrurn policy...its very very strict
i added a link to it
http://www.macsautoparts.com/store/returns

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-09-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I think that tubes are an item that Bratton's had a special high quality run made. They are definitely where I would buy my tubes. Same goes for their high quality headlight reflectors.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
mlp623

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
I am replacing my rubber stem tubes with metal stem tubes. I got some from Brattons and the rest during a sale from Macs. Even at a glance it is obvious that Brattons tubes are higher quality than Macs, proving that you get what pay for!

Brattons(pictures 1-2): correct nickel plated dust cover and correctly shaped rim nut/bushing.

Macs (pictures 3-4): cheap looking chromed dust cover and incorrectly shaped rim nut/bushing

The bottom of the rim nuts can't be seen, but the dust covers and valve caps can, so I'll have to replace them. There goes the money I "saved" on the Macs sale!
Just finished (with help) installing new pin-striped Good Year Tires, metal stem tubes, and dust covers. All from Brattons. Very satisfied - great quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (96.3 KB, 182 views)
mlp623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
5window

Yawn.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Bad experience with Macs.

Ordered a front spring from them. Wasn't close to the original sizes, and was made in India.

Took quite a while to get authorization to ship it back. They finally sent me a pre-paid shipping label and did refund the full price plus my original shipping cost. As they should.

I still like Snyders for quality, and they will tell you on each article if it's made in the USA.

Larry
Larry Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:27 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sad that we keep reading about this. If you want the best you need to ask! There is a difference in a bolt made to Ford specs and one from a hardware store that some vendors sell.

With that said, a lot of owners are happy with anything that even looks like an original part.

I was reading about a coupe for sale that the when "restored" the builder took pride in replacing straight head screws with phillips. He even laughed when people would mention it and he would brag about replacing them all. Now the car is for sale, guess who is not laughing any more?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:29 AM   #10
RandyinUtah

I have been ordering with Walt Bratton sence the old Stainless Steel days and always been pleased with is quelity.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:09 AM   #11
Charlville

I've found the most success by using Bert's as they tend to use the "best of breed" and can also come up with a used part more often than not.
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 AM   #12
RockHillWill

I have been a VERY happy customer of Brattons since 1999.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Eckler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post

pgerhardt,
sorry you're unhappy with the quality. i have saved the pictures and sending them to sourcing so they can see what kind of quality we're sending out to the customer. Also please let me know if you need any assistance on getting a refund i'd be more than happy to help.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:34 AM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckler's View Post
pgerhardt,
sorry you're unhappy with the quality. i have saved the pictures and sending them to sourcing so they can see what kind of quality we're sending out to the customer. Also please let me know if you need any assistance on getting a refund i'd be more than happy to help.

your a good guy Scott for helping put out fires on this forum as well as the v-8 side also...
thank you for your efforts, your a great ambassador for MACS / Ecklers but trying to change bigger conglomerates can be futile and frustrating...
i nominate you for another raise
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Eckler's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
your a good guy Scott for helping put out fires on this forum as well as the v-8 side also...
thank you for your efforts, your a great ambassador for MACS / Ecklers but trying to change bigger conglomerates can be futile and frustrating...
i nominate you for another raise
Thanks for the kind words. I do try my best. But with any business there are some road blocks along the way. I also have some cars although not Ford (Cadillacs) so i know how it can be from a customer said of things.

Email me direct at [email protected]
Eckler's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

I have always been happy with Berts also. Steve does a great job of offering the best that can be found. The prices if you are a bargain shopper at face value are a little higher, but the quality is worth it. I was going to show some comparison pic's at some point showing the difference in quality of seat springs. The ones Berts sell I bought for the drivers seat ( made by Snyders) as compared to the others on the market I bought for the passengers seat I bought from Birdhaven while I was there ( not sure who makes them). Likely will sell the springs I bought that are of lower quality and buy the the ones sold by Berts. Rod
Old 08-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #17
Fred K-OR

Sooo, here we go again. If you don't like something, send it back but don't tear down any vendor good or bad. This company (MAC'S) does have some good qualities and as pointed out sells the less expensive and less "pure" type of products. But some people want these types of products so let them have a place to get them. Also their catalog is the best in the business. Whenever I want to look up a part to see what it looks like, I get the MAC'S catalog to check it out.

So the point trying to be said here is; lets try to keep this forum constructive rather that destructive. Amen
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
Sooo, here we go again. If you don't like something, send it back but don't tear down any vendor good or bad. This company (MAC'S) does have some good qualities and as pointed out sells the less expensive and less "pure" type of products. But some people want these types of products so let them have a place to get them. Also their catalog is the best in the business. Whenever I want to look up a part to see what it looks like, I get the MAC'S catalog to check it out.

So the point trying to be said here is; lets try to keep this forum constructive rather that destructive. Amen
I agree with what you are saying but on the other hand wouldn't you like to be 'warned' of who or which vendor/manufacturer is selling/making parts that either don't fit or have a poor finish... BEFORE you buy it so you don't have the hassle/expense of returning the part?

I would.

Since MOST of the Model A Vendors don't advertise who the manufacturer is we have to trust that they are selling good quality parts. And that is not always the case.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-10-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Scott,

Herein above, you have clearly demonstrated not only strength of character and integrity, but something we "never" see today ....... positive "LEADERSHIP".

It is also a wonderful learning experience to see Mr. pgerhardt's beautiful photos herein for which he demonstrated differences in quality.

Always admired is seeing men, groups, and even entire countries get back up after being knocked down ..... and also admired is those who point out differences and problems ....... however .............. staying "United" can only come from "US".

You should also be commended for your catalog ......... some group spent countless hours arranging color photos and diagrams in designing what really could be referred to as a wonderful Model A "Manual".

Thanks also for providing American jobs and helping to pay American taxes so we can stay afloat with an ingenious and most brainy 18 Trillion dollar debt for which we cannot even afford to pay the interest.

Hope this helps everybody enjoy the rest of the day.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #20
George Miller

I say tell it like is. There are way to many repo parts that are not what they should be.
They will never get better if we hide the fact that they are not up to par. Please do not tell me they do the best they can. I have made way to many parts in my day to believe that . It is just as easy to do it right if you care.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote