Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Tiny

Default V8 Transmission adaptation

Hey Guys
I'm looking at putting a 39 box in my coupe. I picked up a really clean tranny for a great deal from a buddy. Is the Clings adaptor kit the only aftermarket adaptor available? I know about using a B case also but they seem to be a little difficult to come up with. The Clings adaptor looks like a great product, but its over twice what I paid for the tranmission!!

Last edited by Tiny; 03-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: V8 Transmission adaption

Remember if you get a "B" case you sill need the wishbone and pedal mounts from somewhere. You might try Bert's for an adapter kit, (303) 293-3673.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Hey Guys
I'm looking at putting a 39 box in my coupe. I picked up a really clean tranny for a great deal from a buddy. Is the Clings adaptor kit the only aftermarket adaptor available? I know about using a B case also but they seem to be a little difficult to come up with. The Clings adaptor looks like a great product, but its over twice what I paid for the tranmission!!

Have you completely lost your mind Don't worry about it cause I did to It has changed the drive ability of my car so much and I highly recommend it. Its nice to be able to slide it in the 2nd without any work and it lowers the urge to lug the car around instead of shifting when you should. But the biggest improvement is the elimination of all transmission noise. I could have went with the Mitchell tranny to keep things looking original but it would have been twice the cost. I paid $400.00 for a nicely rebuilt 39 with the new type synchronizers and $495..00 for the adapter.

Yea I know it takes away from the cars originality but as I get older I like things easier. You can get the adapter from any of the Model A suppliers and the price seems to be about the same. Make sure you use the 1939 throw out hub(you probably already knew that) I didn't and had to pull the tranny back out

Charlie is right about the other parts you will need to make this work and if you start pricing the parts separate from the kit you won't save much money. Buy the kit and do it,you will be most pleased.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Tiny

WW Dusty, that green paint is everywhere on your car!!
I have a friend that has the Mitchel Transmission in one car and the V8 in the other. He likes the V8 better, The helical cut gears are quieter than the straight gears in the Mitchel according to him. Is Clings the only one who makes an adaptor?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Dusty

Quote:
WW Dusty, that green paint is everywhere on your car!!
I have a friend that has the Mitchel Transmission in one car and the V8 in the other. He likes the V8 better, The helical cut gears are quieter than the straight gears in the Mitchel according to him. Is Clings the only one who makes an adaptor?
I did not know the Mitchel had straight cut gears, real glad I went with the 39 now. helical gears are not just quieter, I can't hear any tranny noise at all...pure bliss I have looked and looked and Clings is the only one that I know of, I would not try to save money by trying a work around. You will cuss enough as it is, I wrote three new chapters for the cuss book while laying on my back under the car this winter. But I do love it!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

Default Re: V8 Transmission adaptation

Cling's makes quality products, buy it and enjoy.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
PC/SR

The Cling adapter kit is a nice deal. Makes the job fairly easy. I then fabricated some brackets from the center cross member to the rear bearing retainer ears for additional stablizing support back there. The rear FAM donuts squished a bit before I did that.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Tiny

Looks like I'll be saving my bread for the Cling's adapter. If Jim says its quality I can't argue with that. I can't believe only one company makes this adapter. That's great news for him.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Patrick L.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but, are there other year transmitters that will work with the cling adapter other than just the '39 ? Is the '39 a transmission all by itself?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I think 33? through 48 for cars and a little later on trucks all have the same bolt pattern at the bell housing. Thirty nine is a term often used for the top loader transmissions after 32. Thirty nine was the last year for this style top loader transmissions in Ford cars. I think 48 gears are best and fit the early transmission cases, all the way back to 32 . Ninteen fifty was the last year for a top loader three speed transmission in a Ford pickup and used the same bolt pattern at the bell housing but was open drive on the pickups all the way back to 1942

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 03-25-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread, but, are there other year transmitters that will work with the cling adapter other than just the '39 ? Is the '39 a transmission all by itself?
Prior years will work but the earlier years still have straight cut gears for low which wouldn't really be a problem but the late 39 has the improved synchronizers. My understanding that is the one you want.

dusty
Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Patrick L.

Thanks Purdy and Dusty. This is some of the info I was looking for, good info. I thought '39 had a change to the earlier syncros and have a higher gear ratio for both 1st and 2nd. I don't know about the ratios for other/earlier years. I also didn't know that gears to '48 would fit the earlier cases, good info. Thanks again. Thats basically what I'm looking for, higher gear ratios.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #13
Mark in MT

Also be aware that there are at least 4 different gear ratio sets between the Ford and the Lincoln Zephyr. I prefer the one that uses the 16 tooth input gear, 1st gear is a little faster than an A, 2nd gear is half way between 1st and direct. Those from a 60 hp commercial use the full size 85 hp gears in a 60 hp case, but the gear ratios are worse than the A. (Don't ask me how I know.)

Always looking for another opportunity to be wrong.
Mark in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #14
Patrick L.

OK, thanks again again. I guess I'm looking for a good '39 transmitter, or, a good mid-30's case and some good/new '48 gears. I'm thinking a bit higher 1st and 2nd would work well on todays roads. And here I was brought up in a Ford garage, but, I've still got a lot to learn about these early monsters.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

Another thought while we are talking gears. Zepher gears will also fit. Lincoln Zepher had a higher ratio with a long winding low gear but was used with a 4.44 ratio backend to compensate .
Old 03-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #16
juke joint johnny

Do you have to modify the torque tube on the rear axle to fit the 39 trans ??

It looks longer in the picture than the A trans.
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

The model A torque tube doesn't need any mods . With the Clings adaptor the length works out perfectly. The universal joint housing for the V8 transmission connects with four bolts instead of six like the model A.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

Major differences between early (32-38) synchros and forks and the later (preferred) 39 synchros and forks, but the later 39 can be put into the earlier housings. All the way up to 48.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The model A torque tube doesn't need any mods . With the Clings adaptor the length works out perfectly. The universal joint housing for the V8 transmission connects with four bolts instead of six like the model A.
Right so when shopping for a tranny make sure you get the bell universal cover and clam shell with the 39 tranny and as I stated early also make sure you get the throw out bearing hub.

As to gear ratios I have no clue other than mine seem to be a touch higher in first and second. Than again it may just be an illusion because its so much more quite

dusty
Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #20
chiliman

seams to me after 37 had the spiral spline earler was a straight spline is that right?
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #21
ronn

funny, always thought the "singing" of the transmission was a major part of the enjoyment of an A.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #22
aojo

what Purdy said x2 I am in the process of locating a 39 tranny and spoke with Cling at the recent Big 3 Show in San Diego. The product look to be very well made and it works.
aojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #23
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
funny, always thought the "singing" of the transmission was a major part of the enjoyment of an A.
I bet you like today's' top 40 too

Listening to the 50s in WV

dusty
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
ronn

Dusty,
how did you know?

It's all good!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I bet you like today's' top 40 too

Listening to the 50s in WV

dusty
I especially like listening to the Doo Wop stop with Bobby B on sunday nights on sirius XM 50s on 5.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
Tiny

This is what I love about the Fordbarn. I know others don't but to heck with them. We start out talking about transmissions and it morphs into a music discussion.
Personally I go for Bob Wills, Hank Williams, and Patsy Cline for my 50's music!!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
Dusty

As a follow up the 1939 trannys they must be getting hard to find, there are a couple on Ebay and there's one starting out at almost $600.00 and the other is almost $800.00. I searched long and hard when I was looking and they were hard to find and really hard if you are set on the later 1939.

P.S. nether of these appear to have the universal cover or clam shell and they are as hard to find or harder.

dusty
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

I've got a few pieces of V8 clam shell and universal joint covers. What are they going for???

Talking about 39 transmissions, we've got to be carefull what we talk about here . Look what happened when a few of us started talking about our Fumaze crankcase breathers, how well they worked and how hard they were to find. Prices seemed to skyrocket on eBay for fumaze breathers.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #29
Dusty

Quote:
I've got a few pieces of V8 clam shell and universal joint covers. What are they going for???

Talking about 39 transmissions, we've got to be carefull what we talk about here . Look what happened when a few of us started talking about our Fumaze crankcase breathers, how well they worked and how hard they were to find. Prices seemed to skyrocket on eBay for fumaze breathers.
The ones I found were going for about $40.00 for the bell and clam shells, which if you need them is not bad....but finding them is hard. I figure when the tranny is pulled most of the time these parts are reused on the donor car.????

I think at a big swap meet you will probably find these parts as well as a tranny, this might also be a better place to find one as you can at least see what you are getting.

The problem with buying the tranny online is most don't want to fool with shipping it and if they did that would be a much added cost to the already high item.

dusty
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #30
Purdy Swoft

Thanks Dusty!!! I Will check my stuff tomorrow and see what i've got.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #31
Dusty

Quote:
Thanks Dusty!!! I Will check my stuff tomorrow and see what i've got.
BTW, we are going to be neighbors...well sort of If all goes well we will be moving to Georgia this summer.

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #32
Purdy Swoft

Sounds good. Georgia is a good place to live. There is a lot of model A activity and famous model A people there. I recommend checking out the shade tree model A club. The Shade tree model A club use to have the best swap meet every year in Augusta.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 03-27-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #33
Purdy Swoft

I checked out some of my stuff and found one nice three piece set of the V8 universal joint housings. This includes the two piece clam shell and the bell. I also found two extra V8 four bolt style universal joint covers sometimes called the universal bell. These parts can be hard to find. I am willing to part with these parts. If anybody needs such stuff send me a PM. I may even find more !
Old 03-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #34
Tiny

Dusty
Could you post a picture of the pedal side of the transmission?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #35
1931 flamingo

Any body wanting real good info on these trannys, 32-48, ck out mac van pelt's (Shellie's husband) website (info on the EV8 forum as he posts there a lot, written an all inclusive book, sells parts and trannys. FWIW
Paul in CT
Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #36
PC/SR

Everything you want to know about the V8 transmissions
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...sID_3speed.htm
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #37
31Abone

I have a 39 trans in my 31 CCPU ,I don't like it ! wish it had the stock trany....when you change things gearbox etc , the clutch ,shifter brake light switch,hand brake ..etc they all gets screwed up ..my opinion don't do it ..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:29 PM   #38
1931 flamingo

31Abone: Did you use Cling's "kit" or is it kobbled together??
Paul in CT
Old 03-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #39
Model A Speedster

'39 transmissions are getting more difficult to find, but not impossible... " '39's " have the better case and the better double detent shifter housing and the bigger forks. '39 was also the last year for the "top loader" style case, in cars that is... The later '40-'48 car transmissions were effictively the same trans just in a "side loader" (column shift) configuration. Now.... In trucks they used the " '39 " top loader style trans for quite a bit longer. Some were open drive and didnt use a torque tube, But the case and the double detent top were the same! These are usually easily identified by the back open drive area. These are usable for a donor case. All the guts except the syncronizers are absolutely useless. The Ratio sucks and the main cluster is only for an open drive trans. These arent very desirable to most people and can usually be picked up fairly reasonable. Keep your eyes peeled for a good usable side shift trans preferably from a '46-'48 car. They had a good close ratio. Not Zephyr close, but the next best thing. With one of these and an open drive trans, or a good case and top you can build a damn good very reasonably priced trans. If lookin at bare cases keep an eye out for ones with the casting number "78" on the bottom. The web in the bottom is thicker, and they are a better case. Odds are you wont need one for a Model "A" though... Hope this helps!
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #40
48fordnut

Dusty ,where are you moving to in Ga,when?
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #41
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Abone View Post
I have a 39 trans in my 31 CCPU ,I don't like it ! wish it had the stock trany....when you change things gearbox etc , the clutch ,shifter brake light switch,hand brake ..etc they all gets screwed up ..my opinion don't do it ..sc
I can't agree with this at all, using Cling's adapter(the complete kit) you will not have any of those problems. When it is all put back together everything worked as if I had put the original tranny back in. The only thing was some very minor adjusting on the clutch and you would have to do that as well if you removed and re installed the original. I know anyone can do it because I did it and I'm an idiot

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #42
Dusty

Quote:
Sounds good. Georgia is a good place to live. There is a lot of model A activity and famous model A people there. I recommend checking out the shade tree model A club. The Shade tree model A club use to have the best swap meet every year in Augusta.

I have followed the Shade Tree club for a long time through their online newsletter. Problem is the wife's family is in Augusta and I'm trying to stay as far away as I can from there

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #43
31steve

[QUOTE=Dusty;846751]I did not know the Mitchel had straight cut gears, real glad I went with the 39 now.

I just got pictures of the gears inside the Mitchell from Steve and they are not straight cut. I don't know if they recently changed but the new ones are helical. Steve
31steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #44
Dusty

[QUOTE=31steve;848866]
Quote:
I did not know the Mitchel had straight cut gears, real glad I went with the 39 now.

I just got pictures of the gears inside the Mitchell from Steve and they are not straight cut. I don't know if they recently changed but the new ones are helical. Steve
Well now we have a bit of a mystery, regardless it appears that the Mitchell's are at least now helical cut gears. Like I have said from a stand point of authenticity and the fact of slightly higher ratios in first and second the Mitchell wins. But the cost at least for me far exceeded my conversion(over twice as much) but with the scarcity of seemly high priced late 39 trannys the cost is getting closer.

thanks
dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #45
Dusty

Quote:
Dusty
Could you post a picture of the pedal side of the transmission?
How's this

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-27-2014, 10:23 PM   #46
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Speedster View Post
'39 transmissions are getting more difficult to find, but not impossible... " '39's " have the better case and the better double detent shifter housing and the bigger forks. '39 was also the last year for the "top loader" style case, in cars that is... The later '40-'48 car transmissions were effictively the same trans just in a "side loader" (column shift) configuration. Now.... In trucks they used the " '39 " top loader style trans for quite a bit longer. Some were open drive and didnt use a torque tube, But the case and the double detent top were the same! These are usually easily identified by the back open drive area. These are usable for a donor case. All the guts except the syncronizers are absolutely useless. The Ratio sucks and the main cluster is only for an open drive trans. These arent very desirable to most people and can usually be picked up fairly reasonable. Keep your eyes peeled for a good usable side shift trans preferably from a '46-'48 car. They had a good close ratio. Not Zephyr close, but the next best thing. With one of these and an open drive trans, or a good case and top you can build a damn good very reasonably priced trans. If lookin at bare cases keep an eye out for ones with the casting number "78" on the bottom. The web in the bottom is thicker, and they are a better case. Odds are you wont need one for a Model "A" though... Hope this helps!

This is great info....THANK'S

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #47
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
31Abone: Did you use Cling's "kit" or is it kobbled together??
Paul in CT
That's kind of what I was wondering.

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #48
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
Dusty ,where are you moving to in Ga,when?
We have been to a lot of Ga. in the last four years trying to find a spot that felt like home. I'm not sure I can explain that other than its a feeling We like Statesboro very much, its very similar to what Morgantown was in the 60s a small college town. Housing is dirt cheap compared to Morgantown, in fact our money will go almost 60% further in Ga. than WV. also its close enough to the beach that you could go for just the day.

But that's not cut in stone, we are looking at Aiken, SC. and the northern part of Ga. The only place that I refuse to move to is Augusta that's where the Wife's family lives I'm kind of leaning toward Statesboro and the wife is pushing for Aiken(distance to family) The advantage though would be a big Model A club in Augusta and if I lived in Statesboro that would be out the door because of the distance.

We will be on our way to Ga the first week of June and will stay until we find a place or run out of money which ever comes first Than come back home and put our house up for sale, the way homes move in Morgantown it should sell fast...I hope, so to answer the question...mid to late summer.

dusty
Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #49
MikeK

[QUOTE=31steve;848866]
Quote:
I did not know the Mitchel had straight cut gears, real glad I went with the 39 now.

That's interesting! In the new picture you have are they all helical or is 1st, which is not synchro, still straight? Here's their old cutaway showing all straight gears and the one synchro:
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #50
Dusty

[QUOTE=MikeK;848986]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31steve View Post

That's interesting! In the new picture you have are they all helical or is 1st, which is not synchro, still straight? Here's their old cutaway showing all straight gears and the one synchro:
Clearly what you show here are straight cut gears You said something about a second picture?? what picture?

thanks
dusty
Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 PM   #51
Hitchhiker

I have the Clings kit in my pickup. I haven't driven it yet. But it all bolted together fine and dandy. It's a really great quality aftermarket part.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #52
larryf

Make sure you get the right shifting fork for the gears as they are $150 all be themself
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:12 PM   #53
Tiny

Thanks Dusty. I've just never been able to picture how the pedals worked
Old 03-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #54
31steve

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the overdrive unit and not their transmission. Steve
31steve is offline   Reply With Quote