Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
Tiny

Default Where do you fit in?

The question I am about ask I have pondered for a while.
Where do you fit in?
1. I buy my parts rebuilt or have others do it for me.
2. I will take on some jobs but I'm not comfortable with working on all of parts of my A
3. Bring it on. I will learn how to do it myself.

I pose this question after lurking on this board and reading the Tech section of The Restorer. It seems as though a lot of people are content to let others do their rebuilding and repairing. A common asnwer to questions is "buy part A from supplier B". I dont think this is bad, some people just enjoy driving their car not fiddling with it. Or maybe they don't own a lot of tools.

Myself I fit in #3. The coupe is my first A but will not be my last. I buy the book for what I am going to do and tackle the project head on. If it needs a special tool I buy that. Next time I have the tool and book. An example is the Tillotson on my car a $20 book and a $2 gasket set and it runs like a champ. Rebuilt Tillys are a bit more than $22 and if I srewed it up its only $2 for the retry. I have always enjoyed building driving and wrenching much more than shows. At 40 I very young for the A's but have been playing with old cars since I was born. I have ammassed a nice shop full of tools over the years and coffidence and paitence to at least try just about anything. I dont think pouring babbits is on my list to try though!LOL.

Sowhere do you fit in?
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: Where do you fit in?

I'm the same age as you, and for the mechanical stuff, I'm a 2.5, but when it comes to the electrical system, I'm an enthusiastic and capable #3.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Tiny

Electrical has always been one of my weak areas, but I'm learning. I replaced the entire harness in the coupe after I got it. It was scary before. Your a "young" guy too. Econimics also tend to play in to the equations for me. If I can rebuild, repair, restore it myself then I can buy more A stuff
Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
c125bob

I'm a 3, bring it on, I'll learn it if I don't know it. Lot's I don't know but I'm not afraid to learn, sometimes the hard way.
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
ctlikon0712

I'm about a 2.5 also. The only area that holds me back a little is paint and body..... Ive also never learned to weld............
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I'm about a 2.5 also. The only area that holds me back a little is paint and body..... Ive also never learned to weld............
2.5 same a ctlikon

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Dune Country

having been a mechanic, fabricator,painter all of my life now that things have slowed down a bit, what am I doing?
47 ford 8n tractor nut and bolt restor used regularly 2009

1956 chevy truck frame off restor only things I didn't do was mount the tires
and grind the valves 2011, best in class 2012

1931 CC P/U frame off restor going back together didn't install the hard valve seats

not beating my own drum.......just proud of my work!
Dune Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
bill44

I am a 2.5. There are some sub assemblies I leave to the experts. I will tackle anything if I have help.
bill44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
CarlG

Mechanical / Electrical: #3 -- I can always ask for help from my buddy if I get stuck.
Body Work: A big fat "0"

I'm rather like Tiny when it comes to tools. I have always thought that owning a Model A was, in a large part, an excuse to buy more tools.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Joe K

I am mostly a 3. Call me a 2.8.

MOST of the work on the Model A I've done myself. But some things though are cost ineffective to do one's self. Rebuilding an engine, for one. Well, I skirted the issue mid-way.

I did the er, subcontracting of the work on my present operable engine. I disassembled. I had a guy hot tank it. I took out the crank and brought it to a crank grinding shop. I had the block rebored and piston fitted and then after delivery of the crank, I had him re-babbit the block to fit. He provided a re-ground cam from his stock. And he assembled it into a short block.

Meanwhile after his work I had found the crank-grinder had bent the crank at the center about 0.003. I nearly had a heart attack as he put it into a crank straightening press and brought it back to straight - under warranty. After the straightening, I chucked it in my lathe and re-faced the flywheel mount.

But this hands off management involvement for the engine is sort of the exception. Speedos I have not done myself. But I might try. The rear end I did do myself, soup to layout dye. Ditto the front end including straightening the axle as the ends were curled in a bit. The tranny I did myself. The clutch I bought a reman as I hadn't seen the D.J. Voyce article on how to do.

Body work is still sort of in my future. But I have done a lot of paint stripping to get back to bare metal. And I have visions of fixing the bottoms of those pesky CC pickup doors.

The Gordon-Smith compressor has been a sort of adjunct to my preservation efforts. The frame and front and rear axles were sandblasted using this. And I have a set of backing plates all set to go (although I'm still using the brakes that came with the car when I bought it.)

I've been following with interest the discussion about pressing/swaging new wheel studs into cast iron brake drums. I do plan on doing this myself. The press may be a separate challenge.

But for more time. This thing called working for a living.

As my dad said "I like working for a living - but it really raises heck with my day."

Joe K
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I do all my own work. I'm not a machinist . I'm not set up to bore blocks, grind crankshafts or cams. I don't pour babbit . I pick engine cores with useable babbit in the mains.and send them out for boring. I do my own valve work and buy and replace whatever is needed. I'm a bodyman and painter and have no problem installing interior kits. I've had model A's for 53 years or since I was only 13. I rebuild my own generators, starters, distributors carburetors, backends, transmissions, water pumps, oil pumps, steering colums and front ends. I do my own brake work. I've got a lot of model A's and parts that I've collected over my lifetime. I'm not a rich man. I always figured if I couldn't do it myself, I probably couldn't afford to hire it done. Same applies to my house, shop and other buildings. I built them all by myself.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
700rpm

I'm a 3, with the caveat that it is limited to the tools and space that I have to work with. But mostly there isn't much on the A that I can't fix or repair or restore myself. Like Purdy, I've also been in this for 53 years, and no boring or pouring or cam/crank grinding, but just about anything else. Though I'm beginning to feel the limitations of my age, too.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #13
Brian in Wheeling

I'm a# 3. Have access to a good model A friend with a couple of lathes and a milling machine, various welders, and we both have good mechanical knowledge. It all works out if you are not in a hurry. Can also do body work and paint, having managed a Lincoln Ford Mercury bodyshop for a number of years. Lots learned thru the School of Hard Knocks too!
The A's are robust cars, very well built for what they are, lasted for almost 100 years and with a caring owner anything can be done. Fordbarn is Great for help.

Brian
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Great Lakes Greg

Things like pouring my own babbit are out of the question, but I'll be learning to paint soon.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #15
SteveB31

Too many people COULD be a #3, if they would just put their mind to it.

These are simple cars. But most people will not TRY to learn. They just accept that they cannot do, when , with a little research (book), and little effort (time) and a few bucks (tools), anyone CAN do anything.

So many people call me , to ask a question, that is already answered in the book they already own. But......they have never read it.

For those of you #3 people out there, lets all try to help the #1 people to turn them in to #3.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB31 View Post
So many people call me , to ask a question, that is already answered in the book they already own. But......they have never read it...
Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
I hope that wasn't me!

Truthfully though, Steve and others like him have been a great source of information. Just finished up a major engine revival using Steve's wisdom (and parts). I was just about ready to throw it out. Got it started a couple of days ago and it's purring like a kitty. Thanks Steve!

Oh, And I do try to read everything I have before asking questions.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #17
Arlen

#3 here
Old 03-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #18
bromark

I am a solid 3. I bought a 30 tudor that had been sitting in a barn since 1985 that had some rust problems because the barn leaked. I did not want a restored car I wanted something to work on. I enjoy learning and trying and if I mess up on something it is my mess and my learning experience as I redo it until I get it where I want it to be. I have worked on cars most of my life either out of necessity or as a hobby now 8 years into some health problems I think the restoration work on the old car is part of what is keeping me moving. When I finish with this one I will be looking for another wreck so this wreck of a body can work on it to help me keep working.
bromark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
30Ford

2.8...I have a machinist background ..Welding ,industrial/construction electrical and instrumentation tickets,,,do every thing from glass to the interior and all the wrenching ,painting and body work,,,,just any machine work that I don't have the equipment for gets farmed out ... Don't have a points car but love the challenge
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #20
Rowdy
BANNED

For the most part I can do it all myself. I prefer to hire out the more difficult body work and the body paint itself. I am a FAA certified aircraft mechanic that has spent most of the last 18 years in auto parts manufacturing and have also worked in packing houses on maintenance. Currently I am working as a forklift mechanic, so i have a wide field of knowledge and understanding. On the side for the last 12 years I do some antique car parts salvage, so I have seen quite abit of yesterdays designs. From time to time I do some work on local car club menbers cars, but hope to branch out at some point and take work in from further away or possibly find a nitch to fill in the hobbie with one or more of the current parts vendors. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
Craig Lewis

2.8 I guess.
Was a bodyman/painter for a dozen yrs. Currently sole proprietor of an autoglass shop since 92. Luckily I've accumulated what's needed to fix nearly anything without going into town...lathe,welders,bead blaster and all the little stuff.
I did send out my engine components for machining but managed to fit the insert brgs myself (tricky stuff) ...also I rebuilt the entire chassis including doing the prep work for powdercoating.
Out of neccessity I've hand built quite a number of tools along the way as certain components get you scratching the ol noggin and suddenly sparks are flying and walla...new tool!!
I somehow managed to rebuild the radiator which was a first timer event. Unsoldered the lower tank and rodded out the tubes...learning in the process why radiator shops have mostly all closed their doors...because that's long, dirty, unhealthy work for lousy pay!
I've bought kits and done Caswell cad plating & some of the nickel work....that's another job that taught my a high respect for those who do it as a day job. It was fun and educational, but time consuming bigtime.
I'm lousy with wood...still thinking of using the original because hey it fitted...and I believe it'll restore that "old car" smell which would be so cool. I'll have to have a pro look at the wood, but if a kit is needed I'll try doing it myself.
I've never done upholstery work, other than stitching a seat rip and replacing a few covers, but I'll certainly buy the Model A kit and hope for good instructions .
What worry's me the most?....is if I'll still remember how to spray paint when all this bodywork is done. It might be a pile of runs

I probably have most of the repair books, plus 25 yrs of Restorer issues stacked, BUT it's been the advice given by hundreds of great people on these forums which have guided me the straightest on my current project(31 coupe)
...you know who you are...thanks.

Last edited by Craig Lewis; 03-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #22
Milton

#2.5 ?

I'm not a machinist and I don't do upholstery. Don't care to go deeply into gens or starters unless I have to. I don't buy tools for every occassion either. Just "pressed" in the rear shackle bushings using all thread, nuts and washers. Will be jigging up a new pinion to turn down the second cone bearing seat. Built my own cam wrench and a leverage bar for valve work photo below. Welded up a spring speader etc. If I can, I will. If I can't, I will try. If I fail, I didn't want to do it anyway!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image002.jpg (16.5 KB, 31 views)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #23
dave in australia

I'm all three.
I'll send an engine out for some work, or if a part doesn't fit in my lathe at home, I'll send it to a machine shop.
I'll buy a balanced crank, high comp head, high speed diff gears.
I'll rebuild a carb, including turning up a new venturi and throttle shaft. I've done my own electroplating, it was my first trade. I'll manufacture and weld in patch panels. I'm currently working on overhauling shocks, including welding up and turning worn shafts and bodies etc.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
Roadster62

I've never understood electricty, so my projects end there and I start on another.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #25
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
The question I am about ask I have pondered for a while.
Where do you fit in?
1. I buy my parts rebuilt or have others do it for me.
2. I will take on some jobs but I'm not comfortable with working on all of parts of my A
3. Bring it on. I will learn how to do it myself.

I pose this question after lurking on this board and reading the Tech section of The Restorer. It seems as though a lot of people are content to let others do their rebuilding and repairing. A common asnwer to questions is "buy part A from supplier B". I dont think this is bad, some people just enjoy driving their car not fiddling with it. Or maybe they don't own a lot of tools.

Myself I fit in #3. The coupe is my first A but will not be my last. I buy the book for what I am going to do and tackle the project head on. If it needs a special tool I buy that. Next time I have the tool and book. An example is the Tillotson on my car a $20 book and a $2 gasket set and it runs like a champ. Rebuilt Tillys are a bit more than $22 and if I srewed it up its only $2 for the retry. I have always enjoyed building driving and wrenching much more than shows. At 40 I very young for the A's but have been playing with old cars since I was born. I have ammassed a nice shop full of tools over the years and coffidence and paitence to at least try just about anything. I dont think pouring babbits is on my list to try though!LOL.

Sowhere do you fit in?
I am all three. But with pre war Ford V-8 automobiles.

Some stuff I can do, some stuff I can't.
I am willing to learn and I want to do as much as I can for myself.

After I bought my Ford V-8, I bought about $400 worth of reference books. It is a continuous learning experience. And just like the original poster, this is my first early Ford (pre war V-8) but not my last.

Last edited by TonyM; 03-23-2013 at 03:41 AM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #26
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Tough one, not afraid to try anything but lacking alot of equipment to do so.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #27
jimalabam

I,2,3 depending on the task...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Jeez, how embarrassing but I'm really not sure which one of those 3, --if any I fall into!

Been awhile since I posted anything but adding to what Mr Becker said above, I find there is a tremendous amount of truth in what he says about folks "trying".

There is one side of his comments that I have noticed. I have learned a person's "time" is one of the most valued commodities that any person owns. We all have 24 hours in a day but priorities (both perceived and actual) are different for each of us. Taking a Model-A hobbyist that has a wife and maybe two school-aged kids, he should balance his given time between work, home, wife, each child, recreation and church. I believe this person needs to establish a priorities list and then allocate his time accordingly. Sadly, many homes are broken today because hobbyists chose their own self-interests (i.e.: Model-A's???) over participating in areas that realistically should have seen a higher priority (attending their kid's activities or assisting with their home tasks).

Ironically I find many of my customers are very capable to do the repair/restoration themselves however my perception is 99.9% of them have a pretty good handle on their "priorities in life" where they successfully manage their resourses (time, money, family, etc.) well. Maybe that is the key to their successful life, ....time management? So to many hobbyists, I feel it becomes a time balance between their priorities and their goals. Maybe something higher up on their priorities list keeps them from allocating enough time to perform that repair/restoration themselves?? Definitely should be no shame in that!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
QGolden

I put myself in the very high 2 to 3 area. But it depends on the project at hand. Your question means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I do not have the facilities to pour Babbitt, nor would it be cost effective for me to rebuild an engine. I have lathes, a manual mill and a small CNC Mill so I can reproduce a lot of small parts. I have a bead roller, welders and a small brake so I can work with sheet-metal.

I also have a "digitizer" which will make very minute and accurate measurements of a part, convert the data to a CNC file so I can reproduce it. I have used to to make a replacement bowl for a long obsolete carburetor for a vintage motorcycle.

Most of my neighbors think I am some kind of mechanical fabricating wizard.

However,

My current project involves rounded top Cycle Type fenders. In my opinion there is no point in making them (and I do not have an English Wheel) when I have a quote in hand from a Fender Shop who will build them for me for 80.00 each, shipped. I would have to make a lot of panels to justify buying an English Wheel and mastering it's use, 'cause you have to buy the sheet-metal as well, just to practice on. I am not in to spending money to make scrap when that same money will buy me the finished part. None of us are a 3 if we buy patch panes instead of making them, although perhaps welding them in, and finishing the panel to paint prep might make you a 3. Depends on your attitude.

You know, sometimes paying money to someone who specializes in their field can be rewarding as well. I am my own worst critic, and hiring someone to do my pin-striping is easier on me then seeing an error in my work forever, even when no-one else can see it. Consulting with a good painter will often bring to the table color combinations and textures that I had not thought of. Although I have painted and others think my work is good, but, if I bring my body parts to someone who has professional, safe, paint facilities and pay him to lay paint to my standards on a car that I designed and built, and colors I have chosen, it is still my project. It takes me a day to convert my shop for painting, the weather has to be right. the shop is tied up for days so nothing else can be done in there, or I can drop off the parts on Monday, and pick them up on Saturday, and be building a car by Sunday...works for me.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Tiny

Nice comments fellas
It's funny I didn't expect it to be a ranking system when I typed it originally 1 2 & 3 were just labels. I would say I'm a high 2 but this system I set up. I'm not afraid to try anything but having a best friend that is a high end custom painter sure helps. He won't let me do the painting. That being said I haven't taken a car to final paint In a long time. I plan on learning upholstery and already have the machine just no need to use it yet. I believe the comment about the work family kids is very valid. I'm at a state compatition with my oldest son all weekend. Old cars in general I do view as a healthy habit though. My wife knows where I am ( not at a bar or out fooling around ) and I am not a fan of sports or tv so after dinner and reading a story to the youngest I head for my temple(the garage) while the mrs. Watches American idol or something I'm not intersted in
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #31
Tiny

And as far as a pro being quicker. My A is not my only car and if I wanted to be rapid with stuff an A is probably the wrong car. Like I always say. Old cars are cheaper than therapy
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #32
29ModelA

If I have something to start with I am good, I have rebuilt engines and things, however I know there are others that can do it better.

I paid a guy to resurrect the engine in our A, and I am glad I did as he did and found stuff that I would have skipped. When it needs rebuilt I will send it to a pro.

I will also do the same with our steering box. I am swapping in a good one right now, but will have the original rebuilt in the meantime.

If I can't find an original part, I will buy a repro until I do find an original. I would rather have a 'not correct' part for awhile than not have it at all. If it comes to 'restoring a part to 100% correct' I will likely leave that to a pro too as I sometimes do not have the patience for the little details.

Overall I will tackle most projects, so I am probably a 2.5.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #33
Forker

Interesting question. Today, by default I'm a #1, since I just bought my first A and it had been restored by someone else. Anything I've done so far has been a cosmetic addition or minor maintenance kind of stuff that everyone does routinely.

I bought it to drive it, but now that I have her memories of all those old cars I worked on in my youth are coming back. As a teen I worked for years in my uncle's garage, he was the complete mechanic in his day and his garage was where you took a car for repairs if you wanted it fixed right. I worked as his helper and certainly was exposed to most everything mechanical and over time had hands on most everything. Starting out as the kid who pumped gas, checked the oil and cleaned windshields, I eventually graduated up to oil changes, towing, tire repairs, radiator flushes and the like until I was pulling engines and transmissions, breaking them down and doing the repairs or certainly helped with the repairs.

Well those days were long ago and far away from where I am today. After college I went to work in corporate America and honestly can't remember the last time I got under the hood other than when buying a new car. Fond memories of those days working on cars for a living and with friends fixing up our 'project' cars, although most skills and knowledge has been forgotten, I think this new found Model A hobby may move me from category #1 to at least category #2 as defined here. I guess only time will tell
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here again, WOOOF!
What kind a SCALE you using??? I'm a "10" yes a "10"----"A TEN"! Ole' Bill, well, I don't REALLY know??? Buster T.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #35
Ken Ehrenhofer

I think you need another "qualifier " in there and I guess that is why so many went to 2.5.....I have been doing this since high school and have learned from many people how it is done. The problem is there is so much to learn and not enough life time to learn it in. I always say it take a village to restore a Model A.....Meaning that I have met so many talented people in this hobby and our clubs that when I need help I know who to go to. Last year we did a fire truck and needed Boyer gate valve handles to be cast in aluminum. We had one original and we needed 6 so I asked a fellow club member and two weeks later we had 6 handles. If I can't figure it out there is someone in this hobby who can help me do it. Thanks to all the talented people in this hobby they are truly inspirational,
Ken
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
Randy in Illinois

I'm a 3, Worked of cars and mechanical stuff since I was very young. Books are use full, the FB form is use full. Half the fun of our Model A's or any old car, is working on them. Sharing and helping others in the hobby is part of the fun and friendships formed.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #37
Rock Hornbuckle

A #3 and still learning.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #38
TonyM

Quote:
Nice comments fellas
It's funny I didn't expect it to be a ranking system when I typed it originally 1 2 & 3 were just labels.
I did not read it as a rankning system either. Just a choice of 1, 2 or 3. Not sure how people are coming up with 2.8 or 2.5 (?). It's either one, two, three or a combo thereof. TM.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #39
Tiny

No one whats to admit to being a 1? I don't think there should be any shame in that. I'm sure Berts sells lots of rebuilt carbs and not everyone cares to learn how to rebuild a dizzy.
I was at my pops house this week end and he is getting ready to build a jet flow contraption so we can do our one carbs with pro results. I guess I come by it honestly
Old 03-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #40
Forker

Quote:
No one whats to admit to being a 1? I don't think there should be any shame in that. I'm sure Berts sells lots of rebuilt carbs and not everyone cares to learn how to rebuild a dizzy.
If no one ever wanted to be a #1, I think most sports stadiums and arenas would be pretty empty...
Forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #41
jkeesey

Im definitely a 3. I will do everything. Im a terrible carpenter but Id give woodwork a shot.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #42
P.S.

Quote:
I was at my pops house this week end and he is getting ready to build a jet flow contraption so we can do our one carbs with pro results. I guess I come by it honestly

I do have a Bert's rebuilt carb and 3 distributors that I rebuilt myself. Some things I just don't feel qualified to do yet. But, still learning. Other things, like electrical, I wouldn;t consider having anyone else do anything, I'd do it ALL myself, because I can do it better than anyone else (in my opinion, of course). Mechanical work is my kryptonite, but I'm all over electrical. Does that help explain it?

Also did the interior, floorboards, paint rubbing and touch-up, engine detail, alignment, adjustments, routine maint., etc. myself.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #43
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forker View Post
If no one ever wanted to be a #1, I think most sports stadiums and arenas would be pretty empty...
Haha your funny! True but funny.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #44
crock

I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. Have loved working on cars since i was a teenager. First car was a 40 chevyLearned most of what i know by bidding on collision vehicles and fixing them to sell. Yea, body work, welding and painting. Also have a 64 galaxie 500 that i take to car shows. However the 28 sport coupe i required has put me to the test. I can usually turn a collision vehicle around in 40 hours, but i have over 1100 hrs. in the 28. Am i doing something wrong?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #45
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
Im definitely a 3. I will do everything. Im a terrible carpenter but Id give woodwork a shot.
You too can be a master carpenter, Jkeesey, Chief tole' me, "Just nail it up, THEN cut it to length, PERFECT fit, every time"!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHORTY ROBERTS STORE.jpg (71.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #46
jkeesey

Haha Bill that's pretty much what I do. The main problem may be I make all my cuts with a swazall.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #47
Maclab58

I would call myself a solid 2.25. As for model A's, I have changed engines, rewired 2 A's rebuilt a trans and 2 rearends and brakes. I'm not afraid to try pretty much anything. I'm not afraid to ask for help when I'm over my head tho.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #48
whirnot

I used to be a 3 but am fading a little due to time. Will probably gravitate back.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #49
dumb person

1, i would like to be the guy that can smelt iron sand & make his own iron & mine the copper, spin it into wire and insulate it but let's face it, everything i try to fix i make worse.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #50
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
1, i would like to be the guy that can smelt iron sand & make his own iron & mine the copper, spin it into wire and insulate it but let's face it, everything i try to fix i make worse.
Ha I want to mine my own ore too! Got a shovel? Lets roll. It will at least make a good story!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #51
Mitch Bunkin in PA

I'm a solid #1.

"Most people ONLY want to know
what they already believe and
nothing more."
Mitch Bunkin in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #52
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
Haha Bill that's pretty much what I do. The main problem may be I make all my cuts with a swazall.
The name, "SAWSALL" says it all! Are there any other saws available out "there"????
The mark of a true craftsman is to be able to cover up your mistakes, undetected. Bill W.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #53
Tiny

It's ok Bill your carpentry looks good from my garage!

Last edited by Tiny; 03-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
jkeesey

Bill that's what upholstery is for!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #55
lance leblanc

I would like to think that I can fall in the 3 zone but what usually happens is that life gets in the way to often before a task is complete and I then differ to a 2 or even a one. "Man I wish I was retired"

"When Solomon said there was a time and place for everything he had not encountered the problem of parking his automobile." Bob Edwards
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #56
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
HA! don't try to act SO humble I feel that you're a VERY intelligent man, bordering on GENIUS!!
Bill W.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
Allanw

I'm generally a 3 - unless it's complicated body work... but I avoid cars that need it!

I've fitted a 2.5 DOHC EFI Subaru engine into my VW bus, using commercial adapters, but had to plumb and wire it entirely myself, rebuilt VW motors, changed bearings in a Japanese gearbox, converted a Subaru Impreza from 1.8 auto to 2.0 manual, done complete suspension rebuilds on my wifes BMW, replaced a number of clutches in various cars, completely repainted a Suzuki van etc etc...

But I did have a shop open and clean out the "A" radiator.
"Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it can MUFFLE the sound"
Allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #58
John Duden

#3 ALL THE WAY!!! let me see how bad i can screw it up before i figure it out!
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #59
swo4rd

swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #60
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duden View Post
#3 ALL THE WAY!!! let me see how bad i can screw it up before i figure it out!
My thoughts exactly, its not like its an rocket science right? Its just a Model A. I try not to break it as I take it apart, then I can at least put it back together
Old 05-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #61
Roserock49

This is pops of whom Tiny speaks.

I have always been the guy to buy the proper tool and try it myself. I usually end up with a new instruction manual, a new tool, a job I can say "I did it myself" and at a cost less than it would have been if it were farmed out to someone else. Sure I have made mistakes, but you learn and grow from those mistakes.

I think it was Thomas Edison you said, It wasn't a failure, just 1000 things that didn't work when he was developing the light bulb. Something like that
Roserock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #62
Pete

I am a 4
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #63
Ted Duke

I'm a 2.5 with a lot of help from a friend, actually many friends over the years, and the DANG thing will be finished some day. Progress is slow. Of course I don't pour babbitt and I won't win and awards, but my 19 RDSTR PU will look like a Model A, sound like a Model A and be driven in decent weather.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #64
mshmodela

I'm a D, None of the above.

I'm not a mechanic by trade (Fmr. Electrical Engineer, RF microwave Engr. but have been doing UNIX/Linux/Engineering Programming the past 20 years for a buck... ) so Model A's are totally left of center field for me.

A Model A is black box to me so it's a challenge and that's cool. I got a Model A that was restored and teaching myself what I can. I helped my late Dad as a kid rebuild his Ford 8N tractor and the engine is very similar.

My hats off to all of those who have taken old rusty parts and made beauties... I'm really enjoying my Model A.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #65
Gunmetal blue2

Im a NUMBER 3, when I was 15 I got my first A in pieces and got it back together in good working order. that was in 1970 many years ago. Have learned a great deal about the A and AA's.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #66
28RPU

My old cars are not my daily reliable transportation, they are my "toys" and my pastime. So I am in #3. I will try to fix or repair anything first before even considering letting someone else do it for me. My daddy taught me that if any one person is capable of accomplishing a task then I should be able to do the same. That is....until proven otherwise.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #67
Lona

I bought my first model A coupe a year before the legal driving age. Drove it two yrs in high school and sold it before going to college. Did a lot of self-taught engine work from late teens. After college, I joined one of the first Peace Corps groups in 1961, going to Chile where another volunteer and I set up a school teaching engine and farm machinery repair to rural young men. We rebuilt many tractor engines, both gas and diesel. At that time, I would have considered myself a firm No 3.
Now, more than 50 yrs later without ever touching a wrench to an engine during that time, I bought our '31 roadster. While now demoted to a No 2, there is nothing I won't tackle and hope to regain my No 3 status with the work needed to get our A In good shape after it sat in a garage for 19 yrs. It's good to get my hands greasy again!
Thanks to all you forum guys and gals for your advice and input....... Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #68
RUNNERBUN

No choice, I'm a three. I have to be. Because it is almost impossible to find anyone around here that is willing to even look at any of the old stuff. Even if you can find someone, labour rates of around $120 an hour will break you very quickly.

Last edited by RUNNERBUN; 05-26-2014 at 11:17 PM.
RUNNERBUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #69
Pete

Originally Posted by dumb person
[Quote]"i would like to be the guy that can smelt iron sand & make his own iron & mine the copper, spin it into wire and insulate it"[Quote]

Don't forget the bauxite for the aluminum.
Why do you think I said "4"?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #70
al's28/33

I'm a 2 since I don't have the tools and space for big repair jobs, but I can tinker with everything else and learn from all the books and pester you guys for help!

I'm a -10 when it comes to electrical stuff, Tom Wesenberg has been my savior on Powerhouse generators!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #71
fordf1trucknut

I am a 3. I have built a lot of old cars and trucks from the ground up for myself and others. The only thing I don't have the tools for is machine work.
fordf1trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote