Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #81
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Trying to fine a quality gasket/filter kit. So far this seems to be the only game in town:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38411381192...Cclp%3A2563228
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #82
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

Trying to fine a quality gasket/filter kit. So far this seems to be the only game in town:
ATP is a quality product. - STRIKE THAT STATEMENT -

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-04-2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: TO COVER MY A$$
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #83
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
ATP is a quality product.
Thanks, having never used then previously, I wasn't sure.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #84
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Big Company, where most of TRANS SHOPS source their inventory.

EDIT

Used to be. Cannot tell the difference between an early FM and C6.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-04-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: AGAIN, ATTEMPTING TO COVER MY A$$
Old 06-26-2021, 04:22 PM   #85
rotorwrench

I haven't seen any reproduction tags yet. I've seen very few that are still legible for the number other than the serial that is stamped. A person has to go by characteristics for these old units. Most of the small case units have the same or similar cast iron main case. The bell housings were by application but are replaceable. There are likely tail housing applications as well. Each variant has it's own number for the assembly part number. The flathead V8 applications had a lot of similarity but the early ones had some problem points that were upgraded or improved over time. The upgrades can be retrofitted at overhaul for the most part but there aren't all that many for the first three years of production.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-26-2021 at 04:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:27 PM   #86
Ford56

Your new-to-you new car is gorgeous. Love that color and interior. Beautiful.
Ford56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #87
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

More bad news. The ID PLATE has been altered by a re-builder.

That is a SERIAL NO and how they keep track of the trans they go through. Hopefully it is the OEM install and not an exchange.
... uh ... WRONG AGAIN! ...

Look closely at the ID PLATE and the SERIAL NO. That is the SERIAL NO of the actual trans. Below are tags from both the FORD and BW built trans -

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #88
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post

I haven't seen any reproduction tags yet.
You don't know until you try ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #89
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
... uh ... WRONG AGAIN! ...

Look closely at the ID PLATE and the SERIAL NO. That is the SERIAL NO of the actual trans. Below are tags from both the FORD and BW built trans -
Soooo 9-109367, just might be my original serial number . So now if I can find a repo vin tag I could make a new one, using my original numbers.

Sounds like a project.
Old 06-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #90
dmsfrr

Quote:
Soooo 9-109367, just might be my original serial number . So now if I can find a repo vin tag I could make a new one, using my original numbers.
Sounds like a project.
Mercury may have done things differently than Ford in '53 but I doubt that's the last several digits of the serial number of the vehicle. Just the transmission serial number.
In general, Ford didn't put the vehicle serial number on the driveline parts in the mid to late 50's.

If you're looking for the VIN / serial number of the car it's often stamped into the frame. On a mid to late 50's Ford it's usually on the top of the right front frame rail, somewhere between the firewall and front bumper, sometimes on the cross member under the front of the engine.
Don't know at all what Mercury did in '53, it may be on the left side or ???

The original serial number plate for "1952-54 MERCURY Models: Stamped on a plate on right front door pillar"

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...9VINdecode.htm

Last edited by dmsfrr; 06-26-2021 at 08:33 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:26 AM   #91
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

... uh ...

That will be the SERIAL NO. of the TRANS ASSY, not a partial VIN.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2021, 01:46 AM   #92
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Okay, just trying to get a handle on this, were only the small cases used for Fords & Mercurys from 51-53?

If the article is accurate, I am guessing I could have the "medium" case, since it is a Merc-O-Matic. I will jack the car up again tomorrow (with a jack stand in place) and remeasure just to be sure of my initial measurement.
If you want to determine if you have a small case or a meduim case Ford-O-Matic, you have already answered your own question by looking at the illustrations of the pan gaskets in your own post of 6/25 at 11am.
If your trans has a single "bumpout" in the trans fluid pan, you have the small-case. But if it bumps out and bumps back in again, it is a medium case. This is the easiest way to tell which one you have.
Also, the Medium case transmission pans had a separate drain plug, so you didn't need to unscrew the dipstick tube to drain the fluid. Not sure when they started that extra drain plug, but they had it at least by 1954.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:00 AM   #93
Daves55Sedan

As far as the fluid filter screen goes, my understanding is that the fluid is sucked into the screen from the fluid in the pan, therefore, any metal shavings or impurities will be laying in the bottom of the pan and/or on top of the filter screen (which is facing up) and is submerged in fluid.
So in order to clean the screen properly, a solvent should be sprayed into one of the tubing holes while the screen is facing downwards. The other tubing hole should be blocked off with a thumb or some other means so that clean solvent can only escape through the screen. Doing this will force solvent through the screen and clean the outside of the screen.
I've never seen one of these filter screens so bad it couldn't be salvaged by a proper cleaning.
I do NOT recommend dunking the whole filter screen in a container full of solvent, as this may allow impurities and/or metal shavings stuck to the outside of the screen to get inside the screen and defeat the purpose of the cleaning process.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #94
KULTULZ

Quote:

The Ford-O-Matic was manufactured in three different case sizes. It was initially offered in both small-case from 1951-'60 and medium-case from 1951-'68 (often referred to as the Merc-O-Matic); large-case versions were also used in 1958-'65 Lincolns."
SOURCE OF ABOVE EXCERPT - https://www.hemmings.com/stories/art...c-transmission

The TECH WRITER that wrote this article was misinformed or didn't thoroughly do his research. There was no mid-case FM until the 1955 model year.

It is references such as these that keep THE OLD WIVES TALES continuing. That includes the GREAT ATF DEBATES one sees constantly.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2021, 03:38 AM   #95
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post

As far as the fluid filter screen goes, my understanding is that the fluid is sucked into the screen from the fluid in the pan, therefore, any metal shavings or impurities will be laying in the bottom of the pan and/or on top of the filter screen (which is facing up) and is submerged in fluid.

So in order to clean the screen properly, a solvent should be sprayed into one of the tubing holes while the screen is facing downwards ...
Look closely at the filter Dave. It has a sheet metal bottom. Only GOD knows (and the guy that services it) what is laying there baked on.

Why would anyone try and clean this filter if a quality new w/ gasket is available for seventeen bucks? I surely wouldn't clean one and stick it back in there if it was mine or a customers.

You can't charge a customer to service a screen if a new one is available.

And that also goes for oil bath air cleaners and oil cartridge filters. All of that is long gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - AT - FILTER.jpg (34.5 KB, 1 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2021, 08:57 AM   #96
Merc Cruzer

NOS screen, top and bottom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen top.jpg (60.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg screen mottom.jpg (62.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #97
KULTULZ

CONTINUATION of POST #75

TEXT SOURCE - https://www.ctci.org/fordomatic-tran...dentification/

Quote:
The first Cruise-o-matic (C/M) 3 three speed dual range transmissions were built in 1958. During 1958/59 their were twelve different applications of the C/M transmission. Most if not all can be adapted to the 55-57 Thunderbirds. The shifter lever must be correct, the output shaft housing must be the correct length and the bolt pattern to the bell housing must be as follows. Top holes 8″ from center to center, bottom holes 11″ center to center and bottom to top 5 5/8″ center to center.

In 1960, 61, 62 the C/M transmission was not available. The following transmissions were available FM, FM 2, FX light duty, MX heavy duty. Most of which could be adapted to the 1955-57 Thundebirds.

In 1963 the C/M reappeared in the 1963 Thunderbirds it had a vacuum modulator to promote a smoother shift. 1963 was the last year the C/M transmissions were used.

The terms FORD-O-MATIC and CRUISE-O-MATIC were descriptive advertising names for FORD AT during that time period. Variations incl. MERC-O-MATIC and TURBO-DRIVE among others.

See Chart From 1960/64 MPC Below-

The DUAL RANGE CM was introduced in 1958. The throttle valve (1951-1960) was replaced with a vacuum modulator valve on the 1961 model run.

The DUAL RANGE (Green Dot) C4 and C6 were also referred to as CRUISE-O-MATIC during this period. It was a marketing term.

SELECT-SHIFT (P-R-N-D-L) began phasing in on the some 1966 models and most everything was SELECT-SHIFT by 1969-70.

The FMX was a complete redesign (FM-FX-MX) after FOMOCO bought all rights from BW (1968). It is basically a MX stuffed into an FX case. The rear pump was eliminated to make the room for the internals. The FMX was continued in use as FOMOCO could not keep up with C4/C6 production. It is a strong transmission.

You can see how different writers can easily confuse a not so confusing subject.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #98
KULTULZ

Quote:

NOS screen, top and bottom
Not to mention if the screen was not cleansed properly, say in a sonic cleaner, any missed debris/varnish would be carried into the trans as the detergent packages on more modern ATF is much stronger.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #99
Merc Cruzer

Does anyone have a nice close up picture of the correct ID tag used on the 53' Ford/Mercury automatic transmissions?

Thank you,

My collection of photos so far:

Brown one - 50's Ford

Red on is 57' Ford

Green one is 60' Lincoln
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trans tag -1.jpg (52.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 57 Ford trans tag.jpg (87.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 60 Lincoln trans tag.jpg (74.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 06-27-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 01:42 PM   #100
rotorwrench

The ones I've seen are the red type and the application number is large so that it fits the space there better. All was painted on except the serial number. That's why they don't last. Some have a casting number on the case but they are a case number. The 1P-N and 1P-P versions were used on both 239 and 255 applications in 1953 and the linear alpha change was likely done for either a small internal change, a date of manufacture change, or a place of manufacture change but I cant tell you with any certainty which applies. The 1st data plate in the post above is very close in arrangement to the 1P-7000 series. It has the model number first (example 1P-7000-N), the 3-digit date code, month/week/last digit of year are there. The serial will tell you a little bit. The first digits before the hyphen designate the plant code. A "2", "6", or "10" prefix indicates Cincinnati plant by FoMoCo. A"1", "5", or "9" prefix designates Warner Gear Division. The linear serial number started at 10001 followed by 10002 and so on. This information comes from the 1953 dated revision of the Merc-O-Matic transmission repair and adjustment manual.

I can't say they are all red but the ones I've seen are. There is a history of changing colors so nothing would surprise me about that. The manual photos are black and white so there is no help there.

You might try this place for a tag restoration.
http://www.datatags.com/

There may be others that do this but some may only do quantity instead of one offs for new plates.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-27-2021 at 02:20 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote