Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #181
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Talk about paybacks and Deja' View' (Fr) -

My daughter has a 2015 SCRUBBY. Needs PS FLUID. SPEC says DEXRON VI. Of course, none (genuine) to be found immediately and only aftermarket available. The only product I have found other than GM is types that say DEXRON VI/MERCON V/LV compatible. How does one figure?

Found a CASTROL product that is GM specific approved with license. They also offer a VEHICLE MULTI-PURPOSE FLUID that meets both GM and FORD SPEC. I don't think so.

Buyer Beware!

Proper choice is much more important on a 2000/ vehicle than the periods being discussed here.

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:51 AM   #182
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Can you describe how to cipher their date code?

How dirty was the screen?

You bought TYPE-F from NAPA?
On this bottle, the date code is C2521H211

C = March
25 - Date of the month
21 = Year of manufacture
H = distribution center
211 = not used in the production code

The other labels are the shipping labels on the boxes.

Their customer service number is 1-800-832-6825 - then hit 5 on the phone

Yes I bought two cases (12 quarts) of Valvoline Type F from Napa. It took two stores to get it, since each store only had one case.

The outside of the screen was very dirty.

I let it continue to drain overnight, with out the pan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9989.jpg (54.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9990.jpg (67.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9993.jpg (41.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9994.jpg (36.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0019 (2).jpg (60.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-08-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #183
Merc Cruzer

First test drive: The shifting is definitely firmer than before, especially from drive to reverse. But that having been said, it was fine! She passed with flying colors.

The next few days I will take it for longer test drives.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-07-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #184
Sid

Beside the 49-50 Merc. 53-54 are my second favorite. Beautiful cars of there time.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:22 AM   #185
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

On this bottle, the date code is C2521H211

Yes I bought two cases (12 quarts) of Valvoline Type F from Napa. It took two stores to get it, since each store only had one case.

The outside of the screen was very dirty.

I let it continue to drain over night, with out the pan.
THANX for the additional info, appreciated!

OH! What was the PN on the filter and who sells it?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:59 AM   #186
KULTULZ

OK, I think it has finally dawned on me why the confusion for early ATF TYPES.

The constant mention/referral of DEXRON and FORD (MERCON) FLUIDS together. What is offered today is a MULTI-VEHICLE FLUID, supposedly conforming to early formulations. That is not possible. They are actually a MULTI-VEHICLE FORMULATION. They are as close to original/correct formulations as horse-shoes, hand grenades and/or thermonuclear warfare.

This is what is causing the confusion. And I have been beating my head against the wall for how many years ...

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MERCON..._%22A%22_Fluid

KULTULZ - Finally At Peace ... ... (dumb-a$$)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #187
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
THANX for the additional info, appreciated!

OH! What was the PN on the filter and who sells it?
Filter and gasket kit (the add says that it is in Texas,but it came from San Bernardino, California) The Kit number is B-33. The other place I bought it from, had the correct label the wrong box.:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15437105901...733b00e67b8533

I just ordered a second one to put on the self, so I will have it for the next service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37.jpg (67.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-08-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #188
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: New baby 1953 Merc

OK ... Still ATP.

THANX!

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #189
Merc Cruzer

ATP is the correct manufacture. The boxes are definitely different. One is incorrect and is a long rectangle (Post #143) and the correct one is a square box (post #187).

Just took her out again, this time for a 20 mile run on the 4 lane freeway, 60 - 65 mph, most of the time. At 10:00 it was already 80 (100 later today), so no temperature break
this morning. Trans didn't miss a beat. Brought her home, no fluid loss.

One more round of successful maintenance, on the car., Not to mention I feel better knowing the pan is clean, it has a new screen/filter and the fluid is correct and new.

To the 5013 viewers, hope we answered all of your questions. Thank you all, especially bigd1101 for your original inquiry, and to my fellow posters, for your knowledge and input.

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-10-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:49 PM   #190
KULTULZ

Lightbulb Re: New baby 1953 Merc

There have been many discussions regarding this subject over many different forums. I am going to start listing older REFERRING URL's as I come across them to hopefully help others to fully understand what is being discussed -

- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296783

- https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...94#post2034194

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #191
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

As to the "FORD LUBE CHARTS", I looked them up and they were of no use since they are all period and date correct. They all say Type A.

What I would like to see is a Ford Factory service bulletin that would have been sent out to the dealers, addressing the issue of the replacement of Type A transmission fluid.
As would I ...

There is no current back-fill correct chart that I know of. What I was implying is that one must read the OWNERS MANUAL for his exact year car and go by what FORD now recommends to use as back-fill.

FOMOCO used GM formulated TYPE A from 1951 to 1957, GM formulated TYPE SUFFIX A from 1957 to 1959. FOMOCO then formulated its own ATF beginning in 1959. The correct fluid for use was FORD TYPE D (1959/ ). It was replaced by TYPE F in 1968. There was no DEXRON (GM TRADEMARK - 1967) usage except for a short period in the early seventies. GM FLUID before DEXRON was introduced was TYPE A or TYPE A SUFFIX A.

What you are seeing now is a refiner attempting to offer a fluid that is supposedly compatible with either application, its description as being MULTI-VEHICLE. MERCON is a TRADE-NAME that FORD began using in 1987 so that throws more information into the fray. Then correct formulations and license has long expired. A seller can put anything on the label that will help sell the product.

The same goes for PS FLUID. You use what the OWNERS MANUAL or a FOMOCO LUBE CHART (of the period calls for).

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #192
rotorwrench

I think GM had a type B beginning in 1967 until the name Dexron finally showed up. This is not the same as the Ford type B from 1959 which didn't stay around too long before Ford type D came along in the early 60s. All this makes for a lot of confusion and it likely always will.

My uncle was in the auto parts business back in the day and aftermarket ATF was ATF until GM, Ford, & Mopar started making more changes in the mid to late 60s. The Type F was for older Fords and not too much later the type CJ came along for the C6 due to shift complaints. The type CJ disappeared after the multi use Dexron III/Mercon started to show up in the parts stores. Dexron II/Mercon H was just as confusing. Marketing claims were all over the place on the aftermarket stuff. Seeing a quart can of Motorcraft Dexron II was just as confusing.

The 1964 Thunderbird I used to have loved the type F in the cruise-o-matic. When they shift, it's so quick you can hardly feel the torque change unless you really step on it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-10-2021 at 12:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #193
Merc Cruzer

Went to an all Ford car show today, put on by the local Early Ford V8 Club. The location was at Fort Logan. The buildings in the back are the old officers quarters from WWI and WWII. The big open space, behind the cars is the old parade grounds.

Nice day, but coming home the temp was in the 90's. Added another 50 miles to the transmission since the fluid change. Believe me that fluid got hot today on the way back up the hill, 3000 ft climb in 13 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0027.jpg (134.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0009.jpg (97.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0012.jpg (110.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0013.jpg (115.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0017.jpg (109.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0018.jpg (29.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0021.jpg (111.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0023.jpg (117.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0025.jpg (110.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0016.jpg (127.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:43 AM   #194
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

- MERCON - MERCON V - TSB _

ATF - https://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_06144.pdf

PS FLUID - https://www.stangnet.com/images/stor...s/07-01-07.pdf
Old 07-23-2021, 04:03 AM   #195
KULTULZ

Post Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:

There is no current back-fill correct chart that I know of. What I was implying is that one must read the OWNERS MANUAL for his exact year car and go by what FORD now recommends to use as back-fill.

The same goes for PS FLUID. You use what the OWNERS MANUAL or a FOMOCO LUBE CHART (of the period calls for).
More Info -

Quote:
In January 1987, Ford released the original MERCON fluid specification (M2C185-A). MERCON became a trademarked fluid with qualification and licensing of fluids to ensure quality in the marketplace. This original MERCON Specification was backward compatible with the 1981 Ford Type-H fluid and the 1958 GM Type "A" Suffix "A" fluid.

NOTICE: This version of MERCON was compatible with GM DEXRON-II(D) and later formulations were compatible with DEXRON-III(H); however, future versions of MERCON (MERCON V, MERCON SP, MERCON LV, MERCON ULV) are not compatible with GM DEXRON-III(H) or any newer version of DEXRON (DEXRON-VI, DEXRON HP, DEXRON ULV).
Quote:
1996 - MERCON V

MERCON V ATF - MERCON Licence No. M5091101

In 1996, Ford released the MERCON "V" fluid specification (M2C202-B).

Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 06-14-04 indicates that MERCON "V" is to replace the original MERCON fluid.

The MERCON "V" specification was revised in 2002 (M2C919-E).
SOURCE - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MERCON#1987_-_MERCON

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-23-2021 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #196
KULTULZ

Question Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

In the '55 Bird I have, with an air-cooled FOM... The transmission was slipping very badly when pulling away from a stop, squealing and shaking the whole car.

The car has a relatively mismatched collection of '55 and '57 parts under the hood. The top end of the engine is '57 style pieces; heads, intake, carb, throttle bellcrank...

I followed the TV linkage adjustment procedure as closely as I could and ended up unscrewing the adjustment piece, lengthening the rod. The slipping, squealing & shaking went away.

Not sure if this matches anything else, it's just what happened.

I read somewhere the shift levers on a T-Bird FOM use levers on the side of the trans that are upside down from the 'full-sized car' versions. Not sure how true that is or if it even makes a difference.
Just wondering (as I often do ... ...), you posted it came with a FYB 256 which is most likely from a 54 MERC. Were you able to ID the TRANS that came in it?

You are correct on the shift lever(s) position(s) as one was for a column shift car and the other arrangement for a floor/console shift car.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 AM   #197
KULTULZ

Quote:

POST #53

Any-who, the actual mid-case was not introduced until the 1955 model run. The trans MERC used before was the small case but was named the MERC-O-MATIC for their advertising reasons.

The ad you showed threw me also as it says 1952-53 and 56. I see where a small case may have been used in some 56 MERC's. Let's just hope the kit it is quality.
!!! HOT NEWS FLASH !!!

XXX - The actual mid-size case FM (MERC-O-MATIC in this instance) was introduced during the 1954 model run.

!!! 2ND HOT NEWS FLASH !!!

Disregard above info about 1954 MERC MID-CASE SIZE INTRO.

1955 - 1957 MERC-O-MATIC - 1955 1957 LINC TURBO-DRIVE SINGLE RANGE.

I must be hallucinating again ...

- DISCLAIMER -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 07-23-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #198
Daves55Sedan

[QUOTE=Merc Cruzer;2032611]You can adjust the firmness of the shift with the TV rod. Unscrewing the top "Y" piece, will make the rod longer, and will make the shift harder. Screwing it down, making the rod shorter, will make the shift softer. If you unscrew the top piece too far you will loose the kick down./QUOTE]
Having been familiar with the Fordomatic shop manual and adjustments of the kick-down shift rod, I would exercise great caution with the above.
My policy is: #1) use Dexron/Mercon fluid. #2) Adjust the kick down rod EXACTLY the way the shop manual calls for and do not make further adjustments just to mask something else possibly being wrong. Leave that adjustment alone after it has been corrected per the instructions in the shop manual. It says DAMAGE can result if the kick-down is adjusted too far.
I've been using Dexron/Mercon ATF since the mid '80's in both my Fordomatics. I has been flawless and long-lasting.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 07-23-2021 at 08:15 PM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #199
Daves55Sedan

BTW, if you go in to chain auto parts stores, you will see tons of MERCON V ATF on the shelves. That may not be the proper fluid for a '50's Fordomatic.
You may be able to get brand X Dexron/Mercon ATF at some farm supply stores like Rural King, but I am not recommending them unless you can verify the contents matches with Dexron/Mercon specs.

Last edited by Daves55Sedan; 07-23-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:46 PM   #200
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
BTW, if you go in to chain auto parts stores, you will see tons of MERCON V ATF on the shelves. That may not be the proper fluid for a '50's Fordomatic.
You may be able to get brand X Dexron/Mercon ATF at some farm supply stores like Rural King, but I am not recommending them unless you can verify the contents matches with Dexron/Mercon specs.
Dave,

Just wondering, would you recommend Dextron/Mercon ATF over Type F?

As you know, from one of my prior post, I changed the fluid to Type F and am now monitoring the performance every time I take the car out, to see if there is a difference in performance. So far nothing.

Is your avatar Ford, a two door post car? I am looking into the factory door guards for my 53' Merc convertible (BG-19292-A). The measurement from the bottom of belt molding to the bottom of the door is 30". All I seem to be able to find is ones that are 28". I am trying to figure out what the 28" ones fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4775.jpg (49.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-24-2021 at 08:45 AM.