Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
RB

Default 32 green combo colors

Looking over the 1980's black repaint on my 32 sport coupe following a fuel tank swap & it was most evident the original finish (Brewster green) I believe it was called, was original to the car. The rumble seat floor & quarter panel fore & aft side supports as well as the cowl area along the lower edge of the windshield show traces as well. I had seen at some point color photo's of a dark green 32 with a lighter green belt line which totally circled the body. I'm perhaps a bit foggy in this regard, however I believe the center body reveal, hood, cowl, rocker, rear fender, & trunk reveals were all of the lighter green as well as the wheels. I don't recall the source of that photo nor the body type, however would appreciate photo's or any comments that might get my facts straight particularly with respect to the sport coupe. Thanks,Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: 32 green combo colors

The body I picked up recently was a restored car. It has the two - tone green paint you describe. Here is the link to the build thread on the HAMB with pics of the body:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...thread.983419/

PM me with any color info/sources you find should you find anything .....

Tom

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 09-02-2015 at 09:48 PM.
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM   #3
DavidG

The two greens offered on North American '32s were Brewster green - light and medium and both were used together with either color as the main body color and the other as the moulding color. In terms of surviving original examples and Archives photos, the combination of light Brewster green as the main body color with medium Brewster green mouldings is by far the more dominate.

The sport coupe was a standard model so the standard color for its wheels was black. Colored wheels were optional at extra cost in any of three colors, Aurora red, apple green, and Tacoma cream. Apple green is a much lighter and brighter color than Brewster green - light.

Below is a Ford Archives black and white photo of the two-tone treatment of the sport coupe, which is the same as on standard coupe (5-window), cabriolet, and roadster. The other Archives photo is of the rear of a deluxe roadster to show the two-tone moulding treatment on the rear of the quarter and back panels. The color photo below show a restored cabriolet in the subject greens (believed to be accurate reproductions).

Unfortunately I do not have any decent photos of the reverse of the two colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg July 2, 2915 CD transfer 350.jpg (84.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 703.jpg (97.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 706.jpg (74.0 KB, 58 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

My '32 roadster has a Brewster Green Medium on the main body and Brewster Green Light on the belt. I think in retrospect I would like the colors reversed. In many light situations my car looks black.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
DavidG

Brewster green - dark was a color offered on the '31 Lincoln. It appears to be black in all but bright sun light.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
RB

Thanks guys, I just knew the ford barn members would have the answers, I particularly like the sport coupe 2-tone on the upper door & inclined to agree the darker shade is rather dark. Too many projects going for now, I had the tank & horn aprons & tire rack off to refinish,& thought about doing the tail pan green as it will need to come apart again if I choose to change from black to green. Think I'll stay with the black for now until I do further research on light vs. dark stripe colors etc. a photo shop color treatment would be of interest or perhaps actually seeing the real deal. Thanks, Ron
Old 09-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
RB

Suppose my two part early ford club book will give some clues, however currently loaned to fellow enthusiast, I was curious if several stripe colors were offered, believe I read where at the least silver was offered. I also have before rebuild pix with my car already repainted black with the original green wire wheels.Tom that 5w body is awesome, I'm certain that is the pix that got me thinking to go green. Ron
Old 09-03-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post

Below is a Ford Archives black and white photo of the two-tone treatment of the sport coupe, which is the same as on standard coupe (5-window), cabriolet, and roadster. The other Archives photo is of the rear of a deluxe roadster to show the two-tone moulding treatment on the rear of the quarter and back panels. The color photo below show a restored cabriolet in the subject greens (believed to be accurate reproductions).
Comparing the photos of the Cabriolet and the Sport Coupe, I note that the Cabriolet does not have the A pillar painted in the darker green as does the factory photo of the Sport Coupe. Should the Cab have the darker color on the minimal sheet metal above the belt (excepting the reveal)? This would be consistent with the green color scheme on the coupes and sedans (and apparently the Sport Coupe as well).
Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
DavidG

Unlike with wheel colors, pin stripe color choices were not available on North American '32s. In the case of the two green color combinations, the stripe color was metallic silver, period. The striping on black and maroon and black cars was metallic gold, and Tacoma cream on the rest. Of the three striping colors used, only Tacoma cream was also a wheel color.

The A pillar and upper door paint treatment of the sport coupe in the above photo only was used on closed cars and on the convertible sedan, not on the other open cars. (In other words, only where the door sheet metal included the window opening.) Further, it was only used when the main body color was Brewster green-light and not when Brewster green-medium was the main body color. (There is some archival evidence that some very early closed cars and convertible sedans received the same upper body paint treatment in the Winterleaf brown color combination, but that treatment was abandoned shortly after Job #1.)
Old 09-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Capn John

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1932&rows=50

The above lists the color codes and on the left G B Y are photos.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
mike in tucson

Like RB says about loaning the two part 32 books.......I am on my 4th set. When I loan them now, I just go buy another set knowing that I am not going to get them back.....they are such good books. The last set I "gave", the guy said he stayed up half the night reading it when it arrived.
mike in tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn John View Post
http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...r=1932&rows=50

The above lists the color codes and on the left G B Y are photos.
I think "The 1932 Ford Book" would be a more reliable source for the colors. This book is a constant reference by knowledgeable restorers and if it contained errors I am sure they would have been spotted. The EFV8 web site (earlyfordv8.org) has a section to post to errors should they be identified.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
DavidG

Charlie,

In this particular instance, the printed Acme Paint color listings are consistent with those in book. The one exception is that those color listings do not indicate that the Emperor brown light and dark colors were adopted late in the '32 model year to replace the Winterleaf brown combination and even then, only when the inventories of Winterleaf brown were reduced to a level consistent with the requirements for station wagon production.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #14
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Suppose my two part early ford club book will give some clues...
Hi Everyone, Ron, I think the author is nearby.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #15
DavidG

Very!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #16
RB

Yeah! I get it, & Thanks for all you do.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #17
DavidG

You're most welcome.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #18
RB

Have not yet determined the reveal color, I believe it appears to be the darker green that shows behind the crank-out on the windshield cowl area & inside the rumble seat area. I assume the lighter green if applied,was as one might imagine the second step & should be evident if & when I choose to tackle the change. Strange as it might be, the door jamb latch posts area where small chips appear shows a bark blue ?? I assume a result of production color change-overs ?????? Any thoughts ? Thanks,Ron
Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #19
DavidG

Cleaning the spray guns from one color to another was a common practice in the plants, but was supposed to be confined to areas inside the body that were not exposed after the upholstery was installed such as the underside of the roof on closed cars or inside the the back and quarter panels. The door jambs would not be one of those areas, but exceptions no doubt existed under the heading of human error.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #20
RB

I can see that taking place as I had used India ivory followed by Shoreline beige going from wheel colors to body colors on a Nomad project. As I recall I misted over red prime work prior to finish coating.