Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
Rowdy
BANNED

Default 130-A Deluxe Delivery 1928 Prototype Info.

In the past few years I have read conflicting information concerning the number of prototypes of the 130-A Deluxe Deliveries made in the Oct- Dec 1928 time frame. I read one place it was 5, another source was 15 and yet another it was 50. I know of 7 that claim to be 1928's. I plan to at some point document and hopefully find a way to tell the differences if any. In various ( not all sections) seem to elude to the pkssibility, but none confirm their existance and the production numbers do not mention any. Does anybody have or know of any Ford documentation that would confirm the number? Thanks Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-25-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Rowdy
BANNED

Default Re: 130-A Deluxe Delivery 1928 Prototype Info.

Thanks to Vince's earlier post here is the only known proof the prototypes were possible in 1928. This along with some parts drawings dated in Oct of 28 seem to be the only credible evidence I have so far.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/EGBudd130ADelivery.htm

The date on the pictures Vince has on his site beg some questions:

1) Was this the first one produced by Budd?

2) If this was the first or even the 50th, why did it take until late March of 29 for The first of the production run to roll off the assembly line?

Just some thoughts that come to mind. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-25-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
DJ S

This is very interesting information... I didn't know Budd played such a big role in designing and producing some of the Model A bodies. I wish you luck Rowdy in finding wood for your Deluxe Delivery. If there was any way I or anyone could help. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone that owns a '29 deluxe delivery. Tomorrow, I'll ask around and see if anyone in my local club knows of anyone that has one or has a great deal of information on them.

Last edited by DJ S; 08-25-2015 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Typo
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
Rowdy
BANNED

Greatly appriciated. As I sent a PM to some of the other 3 people looking for wood, but did not post here in case it does not yield anything. I spoke to Don Graves late last week and he has a customer that is bringing in another 130-A for restoration. Its wood is more complete than mine or what Dons was when he bought it. Don is going to call me when it comes to the shop and I will make the 4 hr trip to Omaha and bring the wood I have and hope we can piece a complete set together. After he is done I will likely have the chance to buy the wood from the owner. So other than keeping it somewhat on the first few pages in the swap section I am giving the hunt a rest and will spend more energy on research and work on the delivery as I can. Hoping this works out and if you stumble onto something don't be afraid to call or PM.

Also with the lack of info I am finding so far with this research I am having a hard time beleiving any Deluxe Deliveries made in 1928 or any with drum tail lights even though there is a drum tail light bracket listed in the Ford Parts List for them. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-25-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:58 PM   #5
glenn in camino

My delivery is a 1930, and is the best tour car I've ever had.
Glenn
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Rowdy
BANNED

Glen, I am hoping mine is as good. Making only 3 real changes, downdraft carb, interior color and 39 transmission so my wife can drive it also. She does not double clutch well and I do not want to have to replace the transmission once every couple of years. Rod
Old 08-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Rowdy,

You have an advertisement coming your way.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Steve. I owe you several beers if I ever make it to a national meet. Looking forward to seeing what direction this takes the research. Based on what little info I currently have seen I do not believe they existed anywhere except on paper until 12-13-1928. Waiting to see if I am right or wrong.

I am not trying to make enemies with those that claim to have 28's as it is likely with their usefulness these bodies could have been put on 28 chassis sometime in the past when their chassis became worn out. I have no idea when during production mine might have been made as it lost its original chassis sometime before 1954 and there was no firewall date on the tank. I was lucky to find a March/ April of 29 chassis and March of 29 tank. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-25-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #9
Bick in New Zealand

"Also with the lack of info I am finding so far with this research I am having a hard time beleiving any Deluxe Deliveries made in 1928 or any with drum tail lights even though there is a drum tail light bracket listed in the Ford Parts List for them. "

Rod in the Ford Life Magazine Vol 1 Number 3, Is an article on the Jewel Tea, deliveries. There are several original photos which show a drum tail light, one also displays a 1928 Number plate.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Thanks Bick. Maybe this search for the 1928 prototypes is not in vane then. Hoping to find out how many were made and other than the Oct-Dec timeline that seems to be suggested if there is any way to tell the difference. Rod
Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

I have been in contact with the archivest for EG Budd via email . I will post findings when I get them. It might be a couple of weeks depending on what is found and how much there is to sift through. Hoping for alot of info, but will be happy with one page with the right info.

For those of you that have 1928 Deluxe Deliveries or know of someone who does I could sure use firewall dates and engine/frame numbers, whichever is original to the car. It will be interesting to see how all of the info out there stacks up with the records I hope to uncover. Rod

Last edited by Rowdy; 08-26-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

I spoke with Clair Morrison this afternoon and in the past he spoke with Les Andrews about the Jewel Tea company Deliveries. Seems there were apox 200 of these sold to the Jewel Tea company in Febuary of 29. I am wondering if these are the ones mistaken for the 28 prototypes. Using the 90 day usage for parts it would be possible for these to have 1928 engine numbers and firewall dates as far back as November 1928. Waiting to see what info I get from Budd. Rod
Old 08-27-2015, 02:37 AM   #13
Bick in New Zealand

Here are the pictures of the Jewel T delivery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jewel T 2.jpg (95.8 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg Jewel T.jpg (67.6 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg Jewel T 3.jpg (120.1 KB, 172 views)

Old 08-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
Bick in New Zealand

That's fascinating Vince, how can you tell ?
I have seen a picture of a Briggs conversion. Another interesting fact about these 130-As is I can find no listing for them in 1929 Ford Canada production, yet have seen photos of them displaying Canadian features.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #15
southfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I spoke with Clair Morrison this afternoon and in the past he spoke with Les Andrews about the Jewel Tea company Deliveries. Seems there were apox 200 of these sold to the Jewel Tea company in Febuary of 29. I am wondering if these are the ones mistaken for the 28 prototypes. Using the 90 day usage for parts it would be possible for these to have 1928 engine numbers and firewall dates as far back as November 1928. Waiting to see what info I get from Budd. Rod
That is probably how it happened that some 130-As got 1928 features, but maybe there actually were some made earlier than we think.

Rod, I looked at my Deluxe Delivery project to see if there was any wood remaining good enough for patterns, and struck out.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

Here is the email reply I received fron the Hagely Archives that have most of what is left of the EG Budd records. Not the news I was hoping for, but atleast now I know where the records are not. Doubting much exist as this would have been the most likely source. Rod

Dear Mr. Gage,

Unfortunately there are no materials in the Budd Company records that can answer your questions. The Budd collections here at Hagley are very small and fragmentary, consisting only of a few subject files, some historical materials, and items that document some of the company’s properties in Philadelphia. There are no production records or even lists of companies for which they produced auto-bodies. I am not aware of any Budd materials at other repositories, so I am unable to suggest other places to look.

I am sorry that we are unable to help you further with your research. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,
Lucas R. Clawson
Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Rowdy
BANNED

Jack, Thanks for looking. Will be posting pics of the pieces I have so far on my last post about the wood. I do not plan to keep on the full court press on finding much more until my trip to Omaha this fall. Although I will not hesitate to try to aquire pieces that might pop up if it fills a void as the delivery Don Graves is getting ready to roll in has some pieces missing also.Rod
Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #18
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
THose are not the same construction bodies as a production US 130-A body. same concept, but all different parts.
This is all interesting stuff.
The Briggs rear door kit jobs, examples of which exist in the US, Europe & there were even a few sold here in NZ, were converted from the Tudor, but the Tea car Bick shows appears to be the Deluxe Delivery?
I have 2 pics of the Commercial Tudors [Delivery]. taken new in Germany, both have the normal Tudor body joint, with the early one with a narrow door, but the '30 model has the door from join to join. The 2 I have seen here in NZ are also the same.
More information please as this is intriguing.

Last edited by Tudortomnz; 08-27-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

Give me time Tom. I am with Vince as not hearing about the Briggs rear door kit as a fact. I suspected at one point that Briggs suplied the rear door panel and door, but found no information to back it up. I do know that the door latch striker on the 130-A is identical to that used on the 60-B sedan. The hinges are identical shape externally to those on the Murray fordors except the hinge pin head size. Shared sources or other explainations? Thoughts on those details are welcome. Rod
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 PM   #20
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
That's fascinating Vince, how can you tell ?
I have seen a picture of a Briggs conversion. Another interesting fact about these 130-As is I can find no listing for them in 1929 Ford Canada production, yet have seen photos of them displaying Canadian features.

Not sure if the following would be 1929 or 1930 modles but Walkerville reported:

October 1929: 26 "Deluxe Panels"
November 1929: 28 "Deluxe Panels"

From 1929 Monthly production sheets from the Ford Archives.

(I have all of the monthly production sheets from October 1929 {minus December 1929} through 1932) Unfortunatly 1928 through September 1929 are missing.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote