Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
Nick in Fayetteville

Default Oil pressure

With the 1949-1953 Ford V8, what oil pressure reading should I be seeing with motor warmed up. What oil pressure at idle? What oil pressure at 35-40 mph? I am running 10W-40 Kendall GT oil. Thanks....Nick
Nick in Fayetteville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Ed Pitts

Default Re: Oil pressure

What oil pressures are you showing for your engine at that speed? Ed
Ed Pitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Nick in Fayetteville

At idle, very low, maybe 5-10 lbs.....running 35-40 mph maybe 25-30 lbs...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Binx

The standard is 10psi per 1000 rpms. Sounds like you're okay.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Karl Wolf

Why don't you tell a bit more about the history of the engine, there's no specific answer to your question...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
G.M.

I wouldn't run 10 W anything in these old engines. I have used 20/50 Castrol in all my old cars. The one I drive the most is a 39 convertible. Put 130,000 miles on it over a 30 year period. was a NOS engine with the Castrol 20/50 since start up. Burns no oil, runs smooth and quiet. in 90 degree temperatures with the engine at 180 it has 12 to 15 idle and 45 driving. Over the years a lot of people on this forum changed to 20/50 and increased their oil pressure. A new spring could vary and change after use where the old spring is set where it should remain. G.M.

Last edited by G.M.; 01-21-2015 at 10:43 AM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
19Fordy

My 8BA numbers are about the same as G.M.'s. I use Castrol 20W50.
However, I am finding that some stores near me (Wal-Mart) no longer carry Castrol 20W50.
I wonder if different oil pressure sending units will produce different readings on the same engine? For instance, if you install a 59AB sending unit on an 8BA will the oil pressure numbers increase on the gauge? Anyone know?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
My 8BA numbers are about the same as G.M.'s. I use Castrol 20W50.
However, I am finding that some stores near me (Wal-Mart) no longer carry Castrol 20W50.
I wonder if different oil pressure sending units will produce different readings on the same engine? For instance, if you install a 59AB sending unit on an 8BA will the oil pressure numbers increase on the gauge? Anyone know?
The main reason for low oil pressure other than an engine problem is the oil pressure relief valve weak spring. This is in the front of the valve valley and on the later oil pumps on the pump itself. Some engines could have both valves. Fix is a shim on the spring, the thickness controls the pressure. I find 1/8" to 3/16" is usually required. 1/8" pipe makes a good shim. The pump valve needs to be done out of the engine with a simple test fixture. The valley valve can be set in the engine with the intake manifold removed, plugs removed and spun over with 12 volts and a mechanical pressure gauge. The pressure you see will be the pressure driving down the road. G.M.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Ross F-1

What gauge is being used? If these are the readings on the dash gauge, they are almost meaningless. A good mechanical gauge is needed, the dash gauge is just a status indicator.

I was worried about my OP, about the same or less even. I put on a S-W mechanical gauge and it showed about 10 psi higher than the dash gauge. A couple years later, I came onto a certified commercial/industrial gauge with 3" dial. It showed even higher, 25 at idle and 50-ish at speed, hot, running 10w30.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
WestCoast

Ford does not give an oil pressure reading at idle, all that is said is in those years is 57# at 40 miles per hour, in most of all the ford v/8's ive owned the oil pressure gauge didn't hardly read at all at idle, any way oil pressure is over rated, what you want is oil flow,i had rather have 10 gallons per minute going thru the engine at lower pressure than 1 gallon at 60# per minute
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
Nick in Fayetteville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
What gauge is being used? If these are the readings on the dash gauge, they are almost meaningless. A good mechanical gauge is needed, the dash gauge is just a status indicator.

I was worried about my OP, about the same or less even. I put on a S-W mechanical gauge and it showed about 10 psi higher than the dash gauge. A couple years later, I came onto a certified commercial/industrial gauge with 3" dial. It showed even higher, 25 at idle and 50-ish at speed, hot, running 10w30.
Yes, I failed to mention that I do not use the stock gauge. I have a complete set of JEG gauges. I feel that they would be properly calibrated. I am running a hot '50 V8 in a '39 Deluxe coupe.

Last edited by Nick in Fayetteville; 01-22-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #12
Nick in Fayetteville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
Why don't you tell a bit more about the history of the engine, there's no specific answer to your question...

Karl
Engine is a rebuilt 1950 with Edelbrock heads, 4 bbl intake and Holly 390, Mallory dual point distributor, and electric fuel pump.