Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
bigd1101

Default New baby 1953 Merc

Been a while since I posted. Hope everyone is good. Anyway, just bought this car and I have a ton of questions.

1. I need to change the tranny fluid in the 53 but there seems to be some debate on what type to use as the type A the book says is no longer made. I guess all tranny fluids are NOT alike. Different resistance, how they affect the smoothness of shifting, etc. Some say type F is a good replacement, some don't, other brands are better that others.........

The 80 year old guy I bought the car from cannot remember what he used, and it's down about half at idle and I don't want to mix it, so I'm just going to drain it out and start from scratch and why I need some good advice.

2. The car has it's original flathead V-8. I did some minor tune up.....cleaned the spark plugs, the rotor tip, new clear fuel filter, fresh gas (high test) as the car on the way home from picking it up (40 miles away), died twice , but only at low speed start out. It's running a bit rough, and when you rev the engine, hesitates.

On the other side, the car cruised great at higher speeds, but like I said, when you stepped on it, it hesitated. Timing off? Coil? Two barrel Holly carb problem?

Anyway, the body and interior are show car grade.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg merc.jpg (72.6 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg merc1.jpg (58.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg merc2.jpg (70.0 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg merc3.jpg (48.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg merc4.jpg (40.2 KB, 61 views)
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote