Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2023, 06:05 PM   #1
John Gibson

Default Garage Lift

I’ve started the foundation work for a 30x40x12 steel garage that’s long overdue. I’m thinking of putting a lift in it but my internet searches show many of them are made overseas and I would rather buy USA built if possible. Anybody have any positive experiences they would be willing to share? Thanks, John
John Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
swedishsteel

Default Re: Garage Lift

I found a used Forward, 12,000 lb for $1000 a few years ago. I had to help take it down. It is four post and lifts with roller chain rather than cable. A two post is more convenient if you are working on tires/brakes, but I do more under the vehicle, so the four post works best for me. And, I can park on it and raise it out of the way if needed. It was on Craigslist. They come up occasionally on the ad sites if you are patient. Also, if you like to go to auctions, I have seen several sell in the last couple years. If you intending on new, I'm not much help. Good luck.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:43 PM   #3
oldbugger

Be sure 12-foot ceiling is tall enough, my 10foot6" is not near tall enough
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:51 PM   #4
tubman

In my opinion, care in installation trumps everything else. Being so old that I've blown through most of my retirement already, I bought the most reasonably priced 4-post lift I could find (it happens to be imported). Upon receipt, we checked it over pretty closely, and found it to be well constructed of the proper materials. I went so far as to pick it up at the truck terminal with my car hauler, and brought it back to my shop. I spent the next week unloading and unpacking it, and studying the installation/instruction manual and the lift components so I fully understood how it worked.

I had a local guy scheduled to install it for me, but for some reason, he backed out. In retrospect, this was the best thing that could have happened, because I was forced to install it myself. With the help of my best friend (a youngster of 74) and my cherry picker, I was able to get it installed over a two week period (we took a lot of breaks). Since we both knew how it worked, the installation went smoothly, albeit leisurely. After it was setup, we spent a couple of days adjusting it and making sure everything was in sync.

It's been installed for two years now and has served me well. I pay attention to it and observe how it operates and how it sounds every time I use it. I don't see how it could fail without giving me significant notification. As others have said before me, a lift is one of the most useful tools you can have; this is more true the older you are.

I know this is going to disappoint all of you "Backyard Buddy" fans and China bashers, but remember :

"The tools don't make the craftsman, the craftsman makes the tools."

Last edited by tubman; 02-02-2023 at 08:03 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

Check the recommended slab thickness for the size/weight rating lift you are considering if it will be bolted to the floor.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:13 PM   #6
orangedog

Best money my wife ever let me spend was for a Bendpak 9000 lb. asymmetric lift. It's in my pole barn with 12 ft. post no ceiling. She got a screen porch for the dog.
orangedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:31 PM   #7
Blindhuckster

I have a 4-post lift that I purchased 6 years ago from Advantage Lifts. It is rock solid, and I have had zero issues with it. This company is great to work with. Highly recommend them.
Nate Anello

https://www.advantagelifts.com/
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:38 PM   #8
landshark

i went a different route ,while i was done with frame, motor etc i found a portable sissor lift on craigslist for $500. i knew the shop that had it so i knew it was not abused while it is not great to work under truck it sure is nice to lift up to comfortable hieght to do brakes,wiring etc. after i got home and in shop i set it up and found out it is a snap on lift. they had two for sale should have bought both, it only goes up 5 feet which is fine for this old guy
landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:32 PM   #9
51504bat

If you want USA made check out Mohawk lifts:
https://mohawklifts.com/

FWIW almost all of the lifts used by the repair shops in my town are Bendpak.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:22 PM   #10
TagMan

I have had a Back Yard Buddy lift for just over 30 years. It's been used, on average, about 3 or 4 times a week and I've never had a problem with it in all that tims.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:58 AM   #11
Bored&Stroked

I have an asymmetric BendPak . . . a very well made lift with much thicker materials than some of the "copies" - like Atlas. I highly recommend them as a manufacturer.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:07 AM   #12
rockfla

John

Mine is a 9000lb A symmetrical lift, I don't remember the name BUT I have all the paper work and will look when I get home. I bought mine on the used market....I knew the previous owner and was able to see it in action before I bought it. I had mine moved and re-installed by a local dealer/installer, he charged me $ 400 to take it down, move it and re-install it. YOU didn't say whether you are leaning toward a 2 post of 4 post? I am not sure just how "other" two post lifts are BUT my rafters are 12-6" and my Installer wasn't comfortable installing my lift up to the 12' mark, I think that the 12' measurement is taken from the inside of the lift and doesn't account for the channel thickness between the two main post......IT would have put mine slam against the rafters....SO keep that in mind as a potential issue IF your ceiling height is 12' even. As always, IF you need or want and you are down visiting your daughter you are most welcome to stop by and check my lift out, get any ideas etc etc.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:21 AM   #13
BW

Back Yard Buddy is made in the U.S.A.
BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #14
kurt v

I have the Mohawk 2 post lift , 10,000 auto lift, bought in 2007 no problems at all. Built like a tank, you will need to pour thick concrete where the posts will be anchored. It is a pain for this 72 year old to set the arms but working under it with everything clear is great.
kurt
kurt v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #15
B-O-B

I had a rotary 4 post in my shop. I really liked it. positive stops, hydraulic operated cables, never a problem in 17 years of use & was still working great when I moved. I bought it used from a outfit that sold & serviced garage equipment. I installed myself & didn't take long. Make sure your footing is deep enough 4" minimum 6" is better. Ceiling clearance & placement need to be considered also best equipment you will ever invest in. I putt side lights in the top 2' of the walls & it gives lots of light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2006 968.jpg (115.3 KB, 46 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:31 PM   #16
Krylon32

I have a Bend Pak 4 post drive on high lift in my shop. I chose the 110 volt pump over the 220 volt because I had a power outlet at the left front corner of the lift. I also have the air locks not the manual. I have used it for building and storing cars. Works great. I chose the 4 post because it took up less room width wise than a 2 post and I didn't think my cement was thick enough for a 2 post. I had mine professionally installed which cost a little more and after I put my 32 pickup up high to drive another car under it I decided to bolt it to the floor.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:29 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

I'm a "Backyard Buddy fan" as someone else already mentioned , and I definitely like mine. Although the price was at the upper end of the spectrum, the quality and safety are there, and sometimes you do actually get what you pay for.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:12 PM   #18
maverick_is_dangerous

bendpak is a great brand.
maverick_is_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:10 PM   #19
Flathead Fever

Mohawks are the very best hoists made but they big-bucks. The uprights are made from forklift masts that are made from 3/4" steel. All of it is American made, the steel says made in USA, the cylinders are made here. At least they used to be. Same hoists the Secret Service use. A 10,000 two-post lift, with the accessory wheel adapters which will let you lift a vehicle by the frame or lift the vehicle by the tires was around $10,000.00 installed, 10-years ago. About $2000.00 of that was the wheel adapters. Like I said stupid expensive but the best quality hoists there are. You can lift a diesel one-ton dually on it or an Early Ford. If I remember correctly, it required a 6-inch-thick slab with 1/2" rebar one-foot on center both ways and either 4000 psi or 6000 psi concrete. I worked with a lot of hoists over the years and that was my favorite abovee ground hoist. When I retired, I put a Mohawk in here at home. The national fleet I worked at, originally had Weaver twin post inground hydraulic hoists. My favorite hoists to work under and they are not in the way when not in use. After fifty-years the concrete started to fail around the pits for the adjustable front posts that slid forward and backwards. They tore them out and installed above ground Rotary Lifts, twin posts. They kept the one Weaver 36K lb. inground for the big trucks All of our hoists required a yearly inspection, The outside vender that did the yearly inspections and repairs recommended the Rotary Lifts and that was what I was going to buy for home. When I transferred into another shop it had that one Mohawk lift. it was impressive, it was built so overkill. If you can find a used Mohawk, I bet wouldn't sell for any more than the others.

If you know where it's going you can run a piece of conduit under the concrete from the electric panel to the hoist. That will be the shortest run for the wire and make for a clean installation.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-08-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #20
tubman

Please remember that we are discussing hobbyist needs here.

We all wish we had infinite money and infinite space, but alas, most of us don't. I do agree with your last statement, but unfortunately, most of us already have the floors in our shops poured before we consider lifts.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote