Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
jboggess

Default Hello all

Just wanted to say hi to every body and to show what i bought, 1929 A roadster car. Unrestored ofcourse, but starts and runs great. We will be painting it this summer. Hopefully we can take it on some Nickel Tours soon. Also we own a Stock 1913 Model T and a 1912 EMF. Nice to meet you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0025.jpg (59.1 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Photo0026.jpg (56.1 KB, 179 views)
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
JTW

Default Re: Hello all

That is a great looking package!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
sturgis 39

Glad you got one. They are fun to work on and fun to drive.

There are two types of neighborhoods. In some neighborhoods everybody would be mad if you drug that home and the other nieghborhoods everybody would be jealous.

I would be jealous!

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 02-06-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: complete rewrite -bs
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Bubby Sharp in KY

jboggess , Do all the mechanicl repairs to make it safe and relibable BEFORE painting and bodywork so you don't end up having to patch up the paint work. I replaced the engine, brakes Gas tank, and reworked the springs on a 28 sport coupe after it was painted and it is a maricle it came out as good as it did. Try taking out a gas tank without damageing the paint! Make it SAFE then make it pretty. Good Luck with your new project, Bubby Sharp in KY
Bubby Sharp in KY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
jboggess

Funny to say, we have the neighbors who get mad when we bring home car like this. Especially after the 1am fixes and test drives before the early morning car tours. With this car, we are planing to do a a quick off the frame restoration. During that time we will make every thing safe. The cool thing what i found out yesterday night is that the gas tank has been sealed inside it and looks very nice.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Maclab58

Great car!! Im very jealous, I really want a roadster!
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
jboggess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclab58 View Post
Great car!! Im very jealous, I really want a roadster!
Look at the http://rufusranch.com/ thats where we got this one. He wheels and deals with these cars and there always getting new cars.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Although I do not know your background, could I offer a suggestion that you NOT do a quick frame-off just for the purpose of making it safe, ...but instead just remove the sub-components that need the repairs and leave the rest alone so you can get to driving and enjoying it quicker. Fresh paint on tours is not a requirement to have fun on tours. I tend to suspect that if you start doing a frame-up restoration, you will find enough stuff wrong where "quick" will no longer be in your vocabulary! I'd bet you already know that with the EMF and the 'T'.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
jboggess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Although I do not know your background, could I offer a suggestion that you NOT do a quick frame-off just for the purpose of making it safe, ...but instead just remove the sub-components that need the repairs and leave the rest alone so you can get to driving and enjoying it quicker. Fresh paint on tours is not a requirement to have fun on tours. I tend to suspect that if you start doing a frame-up restoration, you will find enough stuff wrong where "quick" will no longer be in your vocabulary! I'd bet you already know that with the EMF and the 'T'.
Yes, you are very right. Thank You for the suggestion
Old 02-06-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Fred K-OR

Great looking car. Have fun!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
tamagrouchy

I agree with Brent, fix what's broke and enjoy it. I have been able to keep my roadster safe and reliable, while working on it for the last 5 years. This year I was able to replace the engine. 1 rod started to knock so it was time. Also, make sure to use the BEST resource in the Model A hobby, your fellow club members. Fordbarn is great, but NOTHING beats years of experience many of your club members have and they have the benefit of actually seeing what the car needs. You got a great fun car, welcome to the Model A hobby. ALSO, most Model A folks have more than one, so once the bug bites you'll likely have another one to drive while you restore another. Welcome to the "club"
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
Brubaker

I'm with Maclab58. Enough with sedans, I want bugs in my teeth! Good luck with the project and keep the pics coming.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
james hitchcock

Oh, she sure looks purdy. I'd drive her as is.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
zzlegend

I agree with James. Make it safe and roadworthy, tune it up, change the oil and drive it. Great patina. Good luck with it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Great Lakes Greg

The Veteran Motor Car Club of America puts on some fine Nickle Tours, so named because only cars with nickle plateing are allowed. I believe they are limited to late teens to early 30's cars. Some of the hoity-toity types turn their noses up at "common" Model A's, but they belong like any other car of that era. We ran a '29 LaSalle several times, but we weren't snobs...really.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #16
sonny30coupe

I tore mine apart last spring to do a quick restore, it is still apart but coming along nicely and is looking great!
sonny30coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #17
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Fix and drive!!! Paint can wait.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #18
sturgis 39

I never understood frame off restoration. The only thing I can think of is maybe painting the top of the frame rails. It just seems kind of a trendy thing and I think a lot of them sit in a garage apart forever. I have been playing with my model "A" for eleven years and the only thing that has not been taken apart is banjo rear end and the cab off the frame. I think you can pretty much fix everything with the body on the car.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
John LaVoy

Welcome to the Model A family! I think you will find this a great group and a wonderful association to make with your new found treasure.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #20
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I never understood frame off restoration. The only thing I can think of is maybe painting the top of the frame rails. It just seems kind of a trendy thing and I think a lot of them sit in a garage apart forever. I have been playing with my model "A" for eleven years and the only thing that has not been taken apart is banjo rear end and the cab off the frame. I think you can pretty much fix everything with the body on the car.
Sturgis, there are a lot of issues that are easily addressed with the body off the frame. It sure makes it a lot easier to just bend over rather than trying to work upside down on things like the oil pan. When you get older, the floor is a long way down, and it gets harder to get up. There was only 12 bolts to undo, and my 10 year old grandson helped. We then lifted the body up 6 feet, a feat that he thought was impossible! You can't buy that sense of pride he had when it was up in the air. I'm sure he'll be around when it comes back down!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
Gumpy

very nice car....always nice to have the wind whirling around at 45mph!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
kp

Had a good friend that drove an original 28 Chev.roadster ,he put an old quilt over the seat,it looked like hell warmed over(but drove well) ,but he had more fun than anyone at car meets.I guess its what ever trips your trigger. Good luck with what ever you do with YOUR car ! I wish I had a roadster but am presently looking for a 31 4 door A.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #23
bobbycoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Sturgis, there are a lot of issues that are easily addressed with the body off the frame. It sure makes it a lot easier to just bend over rather than trying to work upside down on things like the oil pan. When you get older, the floor is a long way down, and it gets harder to get up. There was only 12 bolts to undo, and my 10 year old grandson helped. We then lifted the body up 6 feet, a feat that he thought was impossible! You can't buy that sense of pride he had when it was up in the air. I'm sure he'll be around when it comes back down!
Jim, A "frame off" resto is great as it is a lot easier, but what you are doing is much better a "GRAND CHILD ON" is the best restoration money can buy!!!! Teaching them to work safe and enjoy the thrill of accomplishment that will last them a lifetime. Quality time with the grandkids PRICELESS! bobbycoke P.S. grandaughter#1 gets 1930 tudor, Grandson #2 wants the 1930 pickup, now 3&4 want to know where is their cars, oh well 2 more projects comming!!!
bobbycoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
jboggess

Hello all, thank you for the replys. I am happy to be apart of this fourm. When i say off the frame restoration i dont mean any thing fancy, just that were going to lift the body off the frame and give it a coat of paint then put it back on. This car is going to be a driver not a Concourse Special. Also the body of the car has some intersting rust spots. So in the furture i will take pictures of the rust spots and see what you all think. Thanks So Much.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:34 PM   #25
ratamahata

greetings from Argentina.
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote