Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default vehicle registration original plates

I have not yet registered my 1933 car, but I am hearing some strange things.
I want to use my car as a daily driver 35-50 miles per week, i am retired.
I also wanted to get original vintage 1933 license plates for PA.
Now I am hearing that original plate are only for driving one day a week?
I guess there is a night time driving restriction too. Not to consern with this one because I don't plan to do much night driving.
My state PA has only one license in the rear. If I am forced to get a new plate can I put an old plate in the front? or is that too confusing for the cops?
Anyone familiar with these restrictions??

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-03-2015 at 05:24 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: vehicle registration original plates

Did you call your local DMV? Usually you can find your state's vehicle code on the web and you can look up the specific section that you need. What you really need to do is contact your insurance company. If you have specialty insurance there are specific limits by the insurance companies. They frown on old cars with special policies being used as daily drivers. If you have an accident and it can be shown that use this car as a daily driver the company may not pay on the specialty policy. Or they may pay and then cancel your coverage. Once you are cancelled you will have a tough time getting future insurance.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
CC33

Well that might be in Pennsylvania. In most states, a "Year of Production Plate" is issued to collector car owners with some driving restrictions. I have 1933 plates on mine and they look at it as the same as having antique plates. Driving before dusk, and limited usage. Auto insurance rates are also low for that type of registration due to the limited use.
You sure don't want to be out at night with it. The lights aren't anything like our daily drivers.
CC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #4
oldford2

Frank,
"but I am hearing some strange things"
Where are you "hearing" all this stuff? Why not go down and talk to your registry people and get the rules and regulations first hand?
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Frank,
"but I am hearing some strange things"
Where are you "hearing" all this stuff? Why not go down and talk to your registry people and get the rules and regulations first hand?
John
I liked at my state's dmv and looked under antique plates
And saw the restriction for one day a week driving and was shocked.
Like I said..I am retired and would only be using then c ar for limited driving but one day a week is too much of a restriction...Don't you think?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
ford38v8

Just don't have more than one accident/ticket per week. Next week, for the record, you "changed the day you drive"
Old 01-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
waterboychuck

Frank, do you think that someone is going to follow you? I doubt it. I live in WA state with collector vehicle plates and have never had any problems. I even see a lawn care service truck with collector plates and I have to assume that he uses it daily.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
green50

I wouldn't worry about it too much about it. Just get the 1933 plate and enjoy driving the car. I think the cops will enjoy seeing the car go down the road.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
ford38v8

...And as for "driving to and from car shows and parades", anywhere you park it is a car show, and wherever you drive is a parade.

So, there you were, on your way to the parade, waving to the folks on the curb, and decided to pull into the grocery for a loaf of bread while your car was on display in the parking lot car show!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much about it. Just get the 1933 plate and enjoy driving the car. I think the cops will enjoy seeing the car go down the road.
The only reason I asked was I was surprised to see a restriction for man old plate. It would seem to me that a plate is a plate. Whether old or new.
I can understand driving at night restriction. I looked at the regulations last year and saw that you must submit the original plate number so they can check if you can be assigned it. but this year I saw this addition restriction.
In PA we don't go to the DMV as such titles and registration are handled by a title company. so that is good...they tend to work better with the people than the DMV I am familiar with in NJ.....That was like entering the Bar in star wars.
WShere anything could happen and most likely will!
Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #11
Old Henry

We have two "classes" of license plates for antique cars in Utah. One is a modern new plate that indicates "Vintage Vehicle" on it. That one has a driving restriction. The other one is the year of manufacturer plate that has to be an original pair (not individual) plates from the year the vehicle was manufactured. If the number on the original plate is not on any plate currently being used on any vehicle it becomes the plate for your car just like all modern ones and has no driving restrictions.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work the same in Pennsylvania. According to section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...rms/mv-11v.pdf)
a year of manufacture plate (called a "vintage registration plate") has the same restriction as the "Classic, Antique, Collectible" plates restricted to occasional use defined as one day a week. Looks like you'll need a regular modern plate for your daily driver.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM   #12
laryh

In Pa. you have to apply for that special plate. There is a charge. In my case I had to register my 48 Merc as an antique and pay the antique fees and get the antique plate. If I want to use a 48 plate I will have to pay another fee. It is not cheap. You can find all the information and forms on PenDots website. And most notaries have all the forms. I drive my car more than one day a week in the summer often at night and have had no problems with the police etc.
laryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryh View Post
In Pa. you have to apply for that special plate. There is a charge. In my case I had to register my 48 Merc as an antique and pay the antique fees and get the antique plate. If I want to use a 48 plate I will have to pay another fee. It is not cheap. You can find all the information and forms on PenDots website. And most notaries have all the forms. I drive my car more than one day a week in the summer often at night and have had no problems with the police etc.
If I use a 1933 plate then I am only suposed run the car one dasy a week of more if during parades and other events. If I get a new classic car plate then I can use it every day but not at night.
Looks like I will not get the original plate. Bujt go with the newly issued classic car plate. Now for my second question.
I state where the dmv only requires a rear plate....
I am going to get the new classic car plate from Pa because then I can drive the car everyday except at night.
In the front, which the Pa police have no interest, I will hang an original Indiana 1933 plate... Then everyone will be happy.
I must be insane for getting involved with this....
I should have just watched old movies!

Last edited by FrankWest; 01-03-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryh View Post
I guess you are right....who's checking?
anyway
if I get a regular registration then I will need vehicial inspections right?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #15
Ralph Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
...And as for "driving to and from car shows and parades", anywhere you park it is a car show, and wherever you drive is a parade.

So, there you were, on your way to the parade, waving to the folks on the curb, and decided to pull into the grocery for a loaf of bread while your car was on display in the parking lot car show!
Exactly!
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #16
TJ

Don't forget to discuss the daily use with your insurance company. they frown on using a car as a daily driver on the collector car policy. You may have to move up to a regular policy.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Frank,

I thought you were in Southern California. It might be good if you tell us what state you are located in (it will improve the quality of answers you get). California treats the YOM (Year Of Manufacture) plates like vanity plates and there are no restrictions.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-03-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:44 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
I liked at my state's dmv and looked under antique plates
And saw the restriction for one day a week driving and was shocked.
Like I said..I am retired and would only be using then c ar for limited driving but one day a week is too much of a restriction...Don't you think?
Frank,
Any chance you should be looking for Year of Manufacture (YOM) plates on your states web site? Best bet is to call the main office in the state's capital and ask the question in detail.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #19
Drbrown

I realize this will not help your specific situation, but for comparison and general information ....

I have classic car insurance thru Metlife. Classified for pleasure use (I'm retired); no restrictions; drive day or night; can use as daily driver anywhere. They don't care how the car is registered.

However here in NY State, one has three registration options:

(1) buy set of standard issue front and back plates with no special labeling (i.e. no "antique") at the least inexpensive cost;

(2) apply for set of special issue front and back plates based on requested and approved numbering/lettering and a selected background image;

(3) Purchase registration of an original historic plate of NY State origin; must find/purchase yourself; must match year of the car to be registered; must exhibit original paint and be in good condition. Must bring to DMV for their inspection and submit a photo of same. In the case of my '47 one plate on rear is approved. Otherwise, if production was in year that issued two plates, must have both matching for front and rear display. Use Rules: No day/night driving restrictions; Drive only to/from car shows/exhibits, car repair locations/etc. No regular daily driving use allowed.

As noted in this thread, I have yet to see intentional or concerted enforcement of the uses stated in Option (3).

Last edited by Drbrown; 01-04-2015 at 12:53 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:22 AM   #20
green50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
...they tend to work better with the people than the DMV I am familiar with in NJ.....That was like entering the Bar in star wars.
WShere anything could happen and most likely will!
Frank, I know all about dealing with the NJ DMV...and it's not good.