Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Doug 845

Default Hershey Car Show

I'm trying to plan a vacation for my family next year. I've heard about Hersheys Parade of Cars and was told it is worth seeing. What day of the week does this parade take place? Are there any events that would be considered a must see?
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
A bones

Default Re: Hershey Car Show

Try hersheyaaca.org/fm_schedule.html to view events offered. Car show is Saturday, race car and high wheel exhibition on Friday AM. Enjoy your day Tom
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Capn John

Also use TRIPADVISOR.COM for a list of hotels, restaurants and things to do in the area. Gettysburg is 30 minutes south if that interests you.
http://www.aacamuseum.org/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...nsylvania.html
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
jsemple6392

My wife makes me take her to the beach every summer. I tell her Hershey is my beach!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsemple6392 View Post
My wife makes me take her to the beach every summer. I tell her Hershey is my beach!
In past years at Hershey, we had so much rain that ponds formed in some areas of the old Blue Field that you could have gone swimming in. Some were actually canoeing in those ponds.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
laryh

Saturday is show day and it is held on the golf course. All the show cars drive onto to golf course. I am assuming this is what you refer to as a parade. Grab a coffee, get there "early" and find a spot along the lane where the cars enter. You are going to enjoy it.
laryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Doug 845

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm bringing my entire family which includes my wife (lol) and my 8 year daughter. Hopefully there are some activities that they both can enjoy. What is the event that includes the term "High Wheel".
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
nelsb01

Oh my! Your not old enough. High wheeler refers to the bicycle with big tire in the front and the little tire in the back. No extra speeds in which to shift, just direct drive.
You asked about things to do in the area --- dont tell the Ms. about the outlet mall just 6 blocks away.
Depending on the weather, sometimes Hershey Park is open, And then there is the Hershey Story downtown, and the trolly rides, and Hershey World. And there might just be a old car or two driving around.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #9
VeryTangled

If you want to see a parade of cool cars, get there at dawn on Saturday and find a place along the road where the cars pass through the registration and head to the show field. Each car that is on the show field must drive on. The range of unmodified cars at this show is unmatched. There are even some bleachers to sit in, but I like those for the drive out and to stand near the car corral when the are driving in.

You can also see the cars leave. It is impressive to smell and hear.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #10
wisbangman

If you are " new " to Hershey, you should realize that you will have to park in the fields / parking areas, around the show grounds. These are well marked. There is no parking that is walkable, other than the A.A.C.A lots. Be prepared to do some walking, as anything at " Hershey " is, a " Walk " from where ever you are, on the grounds. " Hershey " is well known for it's amusement park, but it is not open during the car show. You will be in Heaven ! The family ? maybe not. - Make your hotel reservations early. Your chance to drive to Hershey, pull into a motel, and find a room, are, not good.
wisbangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
bikejunk

the High wheel event he is talking about is for early cars with wooden wagon wheels , not high wheel bikes
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Oh my! Your not old enough. High wheeler refers to the bicycle with big tire in the front and the little tire in the back. No extra speeds in which to shift, just direct drive.
You asked about things to do in the area --- dont tell the Ms. about the outlet mall just 6 blocks away.
Depending on the weather, sometimes Hershey Park is open, And then there is the Hershey Story downtown, and the trolly rides, and Hershey World. And there might just be a old car or two driving around.
this side of the pond the bicycle is called a penny farthing.
last went to Hershey in 89 and 90, would love to go again but I couldn't do the walking now, Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote