Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #1
connecticut mike

Default Matching Numbers

Good Evening,

I've gotten very anxious to know if my car has matching numbers. I do not have a way to hoist or otherwise remove the body from the frame. Got to thinking that if the body could be raised slightly, say 1/2 inch, maybe I could make a rubbing of the number on the frame or somehow figure out how to see it (remote eyeballs, maybe).

I did raise the body enough to remove and replace the body blocks and pads by driving hardwood wedges between the subrail and the frame, but I don't think it would be wise to use that method to lift by 1/2 inch.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike
connecticut mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Matching Numbers

I removed all the bolts on the driver's side, and loosened the bolts on the right side, then used a jack to raise the left side a good inch or two. I never could find the number, but I may not have looked near enough to the outer edge. Most of the numbers seem to be very near the outside edge, as the vertical part of the frame would give a lot of support for stamping the number.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
RonC

I tried looking but was unsucessful by just jacking up a body. After I completely removed the body I was able to see the number clearly. I wouldn't lift the body just to get the number. You should be able to date the car by the parts. The engine date is nice to know but you really need to date the parts too. The JS uses 60 days but your engine date could be only a few days or in some cases as long as a year (if pulled from the line for repairs) before the assembly date. Depending on where and when in 4 or 5 year production years your car was assembled will determine how soon your engine was installed. Just make a calender table with months accross the top and list major or easily dated parts on the left of the table. Color in the date ranges for each part you find on you car. If you do enough parts you will end up with a "best fit" date range of when you car was assembled. The more parts you date and the more original the car is the more acurate your date will be. You should be able to date your car acurately between 1 to 3 months of the actual date of assembly.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Bronco

I recently had to raise my body for Highway Patrol to do a VIN# verification. To get a clear view of the numbers I had to raise the body six inches and remove the apron. It was a pain but can be done.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
MikeK

In Illinois if the SOS decides to single you out for punishment without recourse, you must show the frame number. I have a friend in southern Illinois who stamped the number with the wrong size and style stamps onto the sheet metal ridge the floor board fits in, beside the battery. A little beating, dirt, and emery cloth work made it look like an old number newly uncovered. When the designated inspector arrived, Charlie said "Yea, I removed the floor so you could see the frame number." Signed and done. Sometimes you get lucky.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Dick Carne

Mike --

The splash aprons are bolted on and go between the body and the frame. These would also need to be removed before being able to ascertain the frame number - IMHO way too much trouble unless you intend to do more than just determine the frame number.

Good luck either way.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
Will N

Just my own two cents here...
Don't open that can of worms if you don't have to. Sometimes the frame is so rusted that the numbers can't be made out. Or maybe someone who restored the car in the past obliterate the numbers somehow. What if you go through all that work, and the numbers aren't there? Or what if they are there, and they don't match the engine? What will you do then? Unless you plan to do a frame- off restoration, or live in one of those states that check the frame numbers, nobody will ever see the frame numbers. Some things are better off left alone.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
In Illinois if the SOS decides to single you out for punishment without recourse, you must show the frame number. I have a friend in southern Illinois who stamped the number with the wrong size and style stamps onto the sheet metal ridge the floor board fits in, beside the battery. A little beating, dirt, and emery cloth work made it look like an old number newly uncovered. When the designated inspector arrived, Charlie said "Yea, I removed the floor so you could see the frame number." Signed and done. Sometimes you get lucky.
Some times you don't get lucky. If the inspector happened to be a Model A restorer in his off hours they would probably impounded the car and arrested your friend.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote