Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
Veeder

Default 41 mostly stock 6v posted ground - adding a fan

Decided to add a electric fan - not critical but want to improve cooling a bit any suggestions for a product is appreciated. Woukd like it to be on the small side and not catch everyone's eyes. I'll put it on a switch and only use it when necessary
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: 41 mostly stock 6v posted ground - adding a fan

Someone may have a source for an elec fan that can do the job on 6 volts but at the
urging of Flatjack Meyer I installed a shroud on my '41 p'up ,when it was still 6v, instead
of an elec fan. Your '41 vehicle no doubt still has the crank mounted fan , as does my p'up,...it's in a poor location. The Walker shroud did the trick...it is certainly my recommendation vs a fan.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Veeder

I'm game to try a shroud I'll look on the net to see what walker offers or call them
Thks
Old 09-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
supereal

Most electric fans draw more current than a generator can provide. Often cooling problems have less to do with the fan, and more likely to the radiator condition. Limed interior and fins that have broken contact with the tubes are at fault. Most old Ford systems are more than adequate when in good condition. My '47 made it through the hottest summer on record without any problems. When I bought it years ago it wouldn't make it around the block before pegging the temp gauge. A new radiator fixed it, and 25 years later, all is well.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
cmbrucew

Veeder

Does your 41 have all the sheet metal parts still in place?
Makes a difference.

Bruce
Old 09-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
Veeder

All sheet metal is in place and I can't say I have a huge issue with heat but from what I've determined so far the cooler I can keep the distributor coil (both skip Haney rebuilds and other coils the better off I will be. As for the radiator had it record a few years ago and also added the enhanced design water pumps that Skip Haney sell all have added some improvement.

As stated sheet metal in the correct places makes a huge difference in air flow.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
JayChicago

Assuming you are getting hot only at slow speeds, Charlie’s recommendation of a shroud makes a lot of sense. The original design has the fan pulling air through only about half the radiator’s area. A shroud could make better use of the tall radiator. But not sure that would be any help to the coil.

Last edited by JayChicago; 09-23-2020 at 05:30 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeder View Post
All sheet metal is in place and I can't say I have a huge issue with heat but from what I've determined so far the cooler I can keep the distributor coil (both skip Haney rebuilds and other coils the better off I will be. As for the radiator had it record a few years ago and also added the enhanced design water pumps that Skip Haney sell all have added some improvement.

As stated sheet metal in the correct places makes a huge difference in air flow.
Ok, this is interesting. What temperature is your engine running at? And what are you calling hot? The hotter the engine runs the better it is for the engine (short of boiling over). But the under hood temperature can be an issue, so like everything it is a compromise. Unless you are having a coil problem I'm not sure why you are concerned about coil temperature.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #9
cadillac512

I drive a '41 Merc with a nice 260" flathead. The radiator is in good shape and all tins are in place. This summer in 95-103 degree (F) heat the car ran the exact same temps (185-195) as it did when I added a "pusher" fan in front of the radiator last summer. I added that fan because I'd read that flatheads like to run hot especially in traffic and I wanted to prevent problems before they started.
Well, found out the car didn't need the pusher fan so it's now back in storage. It wasn't a wimpy one either...OEM from a Dodge sedan and it moved a lot of air.

I'd provided a solution for a problem that didn't exist. Lesson learned.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
blucar

A lot of people have the mistaken believe that an engine should run a temp 160 degrees or lower. Prior to the advent of lower emissions on vehicles, the recommended temp's by most manufactures was 180 degrees, now it is close to 200. Most original equipment temp gauges show 'normal' in lieu of an actual temp.

A good coolant, not water, in a well maintained system with a pressure cap will not boil until the temp get above 230, water boils at 212.
I have never had a problem with over heating on my '36 coupe with an original radiator while driving in the western deserts and Los Angeles traffic. I have driven the car over 94k in the 68 years I have owned the car.
I am in the process of freshening the car up, it was past due. One of the things I am going to add to the engine is a modification to the radiator to accommodate a pressure cap and a coolant overflow tank.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #11
cadillac512

Bill-
First, congratulations on owning and driving that car for so long!

I have to ask...why modify the system if it's worked so well for so long? I rather like the idea of a non-pressurized system if it cools well. Easy on hoses and radiators.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote