Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2020, 09:32 AM   #41
corvette8n

Default Re: Marvel Classic Motor Oil

I think I have a sticky valve, can I slowly dump a little mmo down the carb at at about 1500rpm, or would it be better to just put it in the tank?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #42
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Rotorwrench is the prize winner for today!
With just a wee bit of chemistry background, I am always skeptical of any snake oil type products. However there are a few that are good and have been proven over many decades. One of which is MMO. Think back to the real old days when motor oil was poorly refined (lots of long chain molecules) and cold running conditions ( moisture in the oil) and you got sludge in the bottom and carbon buildup in the top. Fuel from even worse with lots of Sulphur.
MMO is made up of light oil, mineral sprits and versions of dichlorobenzene which is the main solvent which is known for softening carbon deposits and releasing them from metal surfaces. A form of boron is included as a detergent ( think ole timey Borax). The oil of wintergreen (the smell you get from MMO ) is Methyl salicylate and among many uses has properties of a penetrating oil and releasing corrosion on metallic surfaces. Put it all together with a colorful dye and you get a very useful product . A more modern product for today's fuel injection engines and especially DFI engines is the carbon cleaning solvent from Lubrizol which is the material marketed as Techron , a very good product.
MMO is still a good product for many applications. It does work and does no harm.
That Techron can sometimes free up a resistance type fuel sender after a couple of cans.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:51 PM   #43
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
I think I have a sticky valve, can I slowly dump a little mmo down the carb at at about 1500rpm, or would it be better to just put it in the tank?
I would do both for a sticky valve, down the carb for immediate application to the problem valve and in the tank for preventative measure.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #44
Tim Ayers

MMO seems like a wonder product. Any chance we could start a clinical trial to see if it fixes COVID?
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #45
Pdstark

How would a person know if he had a sticky valve?
Pdstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #46
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdstark View Post
how would a person know if he had a sticky valve?
Lol
Old 10-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #47
Holeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Count me as a non-believer. I built my engine about 25 years ago and have many miles on it. Like 60,000 or so. Never has see a drop of MMO and I use 10W- 30 oil.
This.

But like the song says "If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad."
Old 10-16-2020, 04:39 PM   #48
Floyd

Pdstark asks a real question. A valve, either intake or exhaust, will open because the cam shaft is going to push it up with solid force. The valve has no choice in this part of the operation. However when it comes time to close, only the spring force is involved in this action. Therefore if the valve is not moving freely in the guide, it may stick and close slowly or not close all the way. Now we have a situation of a valve that is slightly open at the wrong time. rough running, backfire , popping in exhaust can all happen depending on which valve is misbehaving . Many times it is intermittent ( always the most fun problem to chase down) and clear up depending on running conditions.
I will leave the discussion to those who have lots of experience in sticking valves, their symptoms and analysis.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #49
Jack E/NJ

flatjack9>>>Count me as a non-believer. I built my engine about 25 years ago and have many miles on it. Like 60,000 or so. Never has see a drop of MMO and I use 10W- 30 oil.>>>

My scrambled eggs have never seen a drop of MMO for regularity either. But that doesn't mean I'm a non-believer. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:41 PM   #50
Phil Gillespie

Here down under we are at a tremendous disadvantage. We do not have any MMO outlets
Often wondered why it cant be sourced here. Tried once to have it sent from USA but not able due to restrictions.
also have survived so far without it. just thought as an additive could be of use.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #51
Ron Pilger

if only something this Marvel-ous could be brewed up for sticky heart valves!
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #52
Pdstark

Thanks Floyd, much appreciated!
Pdstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #53
Jack E/NJ

PG>>>We do not have any MMO outlets>>>

https://www.u-buy.co.nz/search/index...dp?ref_p=dp-rp

https://www.u-buy.co.nz/search/index...ust/store/used

Seems pretty expensive. Probably due to environment police protection.

Jack E/NJ

Last edited by Jack E/NJ; 10-16-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #54
paul2748

59 for a pint, 61 for a gallon ?????
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #55
GB SISSON

Funny, and I'm there with so many of you but this thread was started about a Motor Oil, not an additive. I had never heard of the motor oil that Marvel has introduced until this thread came out. I can fully see how something slippery added to today's gasoline (or oil) can help out with our vintage valve in block engines. Sometimes I add 2 stroke oil which is designed to be used in a combustion chamber to keep things oily. Today's low sulphur 'on road' diesel suffers from some of the same things. If this new Marvel motor oil is indeed superior I can see running it in my unfiltered woodie and panel truck. It's about 4.00 more per quart (16 bucks) and since I live on the new Martha's vineyard of the west coast, I pay that for a cheeseburger and a beer at the local tavern. Much better to dump that cash into helping my flatheads than to clog my few remaining arteries with beef fat and cheese.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #56
Graeme / New Zealand

Wish we got MMO here in NZ but I add bit of Moreys upper cylinder lube to my tank.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #57
arkusvt

MMO is currently available in new england at walmart by the quart for $3.88. much less expensive than buying a gallon.
arkusvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #58
flatford8

“I pay that for a cheeseburger and a beer at the local tavern. Much better to dump that cash into helping my flatheads than to clog my few remaining arteries with beef fat and cheese.”....

I’m in the same boat as you!......I skip the cheeseburger and put the beer in my tank and MMO in the cars’.!!.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #59
fotoboydave

We had an intermittent problem with a sticky intake valve on the Wright R-2600 14 cylinder rotary engine powering our TBM torpedo bomber. When it stuck, combustion gases would blast into the intake manifold, the engine would immediately die, and things got really quiet and scary. It would start right back up, but that doesn't make it ok. We fired it up on the ground and slowly fed Marvel Mystery Oil through the carburetor air intake. It seemed to help. A rebuild occurred in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
fotoboydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #60
Jeff/Illinois

You can buy it at Farm and Fleet pretty reasonably

https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...stery-oil.html
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote