Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default My 56 T- Bird telescoping Steering Column ?

I finally got it unscrewed but cannot move it up or down. Froze I guess. I use PB Blaster no help at all. What the best way to free it up? I need help on this.I did get the smaller steering wheel but have not put it on yet. Do have the old one off.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #2
miker98038

Default Re: My 56 T- Bird telescoping Steering Column ?

It’s been years since I pulled my column to rebuild and re chrome it, so I’m going by old memories. The outer jacket slides by loosening the collar as you’ve done. But there a slip coupling under the jacket in the engine compartment that could also be stuck. If I recall right you remove the wheel and the turn signal mechanism, loosen or remove the under dash support, and release the clamp under the hood at the steering box. Then I think the outer jacket will come off from the interior side. Whether the shaft will come out without it I can’t recall. Mine came apart without a lot of trouble, but it also released and adjusted without much of a problem. Hopefully someone with more recent experience or a better memory will chime in.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #3
dmsfrr

Smaller reproduction steering wheel...
The very upper end of the steering column center shaft and the inside of the original steering wheel hub have matching splines. There is one wide spline that aligns them in the original position.
I've heard the smaller style steering wheels don't have the wide spline to match which can make installation harder.

Telescoping?
The splined part of the steering shaft that accomplishes the telescoping movement is inside the chrome tube at the bottom where it joins with the splines of the steering box shaft. FYI, this joint also has a wide spline to index it, a one-way fit.
To get penetrating oil to that splined joint, put it down the very center of the steering shaft where the horn wire is, or was. That should carry the penetrating lubricant right to the splines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering box shaft.jpg (81.0 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-18-2021 at 09:21 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #4
mercman from oz

Thunderbird telescoping Steering Column by dmsfrr
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
miker98038

dmsfrr, I interpreted that he can’t get the column to move. It could be the “jacket” or whatever you’d call it, or it could be the slip joint in your picture. What I can’t remember is will that outer jacket pull off a shaft stuck at the splines in your picture. Then he’d be able to get right at it. I had mine all apart to take to the chrome shop, but don’t remember the sequence.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:32 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
dmsfrr, I interpreted that he can’t get the column to move. It could be the “jacket” or whatever you’d call it, or it could be the slip joint in your picture. What I can’t remember is will that outer jacket pull off a shaft stuck at the splines in your picture. Then he’d be able to get right at it. I had mine all apart to take to the chrome shop, but don’t remember the sequence.
The outer chrome cover over the steering shaft is normally clamped solid to the dash & pedal support bracket near the top, also clamped at the bottom to the steering box shoulder around that lower part of the shaft.

The parts that slide to 'telescope' are the two splined pieces of the inner shaft, after the chrome upper locking collar is loosened.

Removing the whole steering column assembly hopefully won't be necessary since the goal is just to get the telescoping function to work.
IF the lower/inner shaft splines remain stuck the steering column assembly can't be removed intact.

The turn-signal switch hardware could be removed along with whatever else is at the upper end of the collar & steering wheel hub. Then the chrome outer cover could be unclamped top & bottom and slid upward to expose the lower splined joint. Heat could be applied to help loosen those lower splines from each other.
I haven't needed to try that, was able to take the assembled steering column out with the steering wheel still on it. So I could remove the dashboard.

Another possible method ??? ...after the steering wheel, turn-signal switch and other parts (bearing?) are removed carefully attach a slide hammer to the steering shaft and use that to pull the shaft out.
>> This could be a bad idea and damage the bearings/bushings, gears and seals of the steering box.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-18-2021 at 09:25 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
55blacktie

Send email to Gil Baumgartner (CTCI Gil's Garage) or to Tim Hill (Hill's Thunderbird Parts).
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: My 56 T- Bird telescoping Steering Column ?

- https://www.ctci.org/1955-56-57-thun...column-repair/

- https://ctcc9.blogspot.com/2008/07/t...ng-column.html

- http://nebraskalandtbirds.org/sitebu...lumnrepair.pdf

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
55blacktie

The CTCI attachment that was posted can be found in CTCI's Thunderbird Restoration Details and Specifications Manual, written by Gil Baumgartner. The manual also includes detailed instructions/w photos for removing, disassembling, reassembling, and installation of 55-57 Thunderbird steering columns. The manual can be purchased directly from CTCI or from one of the Tbird parts suppliers, like Larry's. I paid $180 for mine, not cheap, but I can't see doing any serious work without it.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #10
CSPIDY

I’ve been assisting old redneck
Just a follow up to this issue
Found that the column tube had been rechromed
There was an interference fit between the column tube and the sleeve
I was able to remove enough material from the inside diameter of the sleeve to get a slip fit
All is well in old Redneckville
A shout out to kultulz, one of the web items he posted talked about this.
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote