Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #221
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Yes, you may contact me.

A reader endeavoured to communicate with me through this forum and received the message I did not wish to be contacted. This is not my intention but an error in ticking boxes in the cp sector, the personal preference sector.
I have given my email address on several stories and am not protective of my identity nor contact. If you wish to make contact the correct box has now been ticked and you can proceed. Inwards correspondence welcome.

I have advise for those who are so sensitive to identity. Don’t get out of bed, in the morning or any time during the day. Just stay in bed. Gary.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #222
woofa.express

Getting the Word from Viv.

I worked for a Dalby operator, Keyland Aviation. I was based at Miles, some 90 miles to the west.

Bush Pilot Airways was a third level airline that ran Brisbane to Roma via Toowoomba and Dalby twice each day. Keyland and their competitor AgAv had 6 aeroplanes based at Dalby.

Well one morning pilot Rod Habgood cut Bushies off. After Bushies landed the pilot stormed over to Keyland’s office and demanded of Rod who had cut him off. Well Rod stepped out of the office, looked right and left and declared "he was here a minute ago, must have gone home for breakfast".

Another Keyland pilot was Viv Barnes. Viv was Eaton educated and started his life selling paint in India. Then to Australia where he had a varied and colourful career flying for the military, Qantas, Aviation authority and became an agpilot. He worked in several off shore locations on interesting jobs then returned to Australia. He was sharp, quick witted and could be cutting as well as being a word smith. Well one day Viv cut Bushies off. The pilot, a bloke of Indian origin stormed over and demanded of Viv "who cut me off". Well the answer was easy for Viv and not as diplomatic as Rod's. “it was me you little black c***, and what are you going to do about it?” ni, ni, ni,nothing was the response as he retreated back to his aeroplane.
That will sound awful rude and perhaps it was. Had it developed into a formal incident report the inquiry and paper work would have been extensive and the aviation authority just doesn’t like to loose face so they would have been relentless and reprimanding.

Viv always said he wished for his ashes to be scattered at sea. Well his kids tipped him into the Brisbane River and told him to find his own way there. Viv,you were a likeable and colourful character and I enjoyed working for you.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-19-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:28 AM   #223
woofa.express

Jim McCory.

I was Miles (Qld) base pilot in the late ‘70’s and hired Jim as a loader driver. A bloke from the bush who had joined the RAAF and became a radio technician then returned to the bush. A bloke with a good mind and if scruffs could be labelled 1 to 10, 10 being of the most scruffiest appearance Jim would make 10.

Jim inherited a farm from his dad. About 8 miles out of town. My brother in law Richard, from New Zealand and Jim and wife Kathy were having dinner with us one evening. The discussing turned to farming and Richard asked Jim the size of his property.3000 acres Jim responded. Dick was running some stocking figures through his mind. 3000 acres. (remember he came from New Zealand) He could run about 1500 steers and 1000 breading head plus other derivatives.

‘Jim’ asks Dick, ‘how many head do you run?’

‘Well’ says Jim, ‘Earlier in the week I shot 5 because I couldn’t keep them home so now I’m down to 23.’

The New Zealand farmer had his jaw drop to his navel. The country was as scrubby as Jim was scruffy

Jim and Kathy shared a home with Jim’s parents. One very hot summers night when there was insufficient airflow Jim cut in extra windows with the chainsaw. Guess these holes were filled in for the winter. I guess because I don’t know. They built their own house nearby. Kathy hand made the concrete bricks and Jim built. Their insulation was polystyrene packaging trashed by a chaff cutter. They both had ingenuity as well as integrity.

Years later I took my 2 Riverina friends, Johnny and Gerry to a Keyland social event at Dalby.There they met Jim. Both expressed surprise at my hiring a bloke that hadn’thad a haircut nor beard cut in ages. I wouldn’t have done so in my own business, Riverina Airwork.

I might add that Jim met Kathy in America whilst doing radio tech training on the F1-11’s. They married and because Jim had not sort permission from the military to marry he was sent home. Don’t think that worried either of them. They had no kids for fear of bringing them into this world. They worried about the political and military future of this world. Ithink that is a shame.

It is more than 38 years since I departed Miles and I still get reports of Jim from Keyland. They love him. They talk about him of course.They still employ him.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #224
woofa.express

My Apologies to you readers.
I posted the story below on Jim McCory without editing whichwould have been difficult to read.
I have now corrected all. Please pardon me . gary

Old 08-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #225
woofa.express

The Wonder Boy.

I was working out of Ingham in far north Queensland spraying sugar cane. A Cessna 182 arrived towing a glider in accompaniment with an engine powered glider that had departed Tocumwal, some 1500 nautical miles to the south. Pilots Peter Menhennett, Bill Riley and Bert Persons. Little did I realise I too would end up living and working at Tocumwal. An itinerant the first year and for ever after the next. That Christmas eve I asked Peter, the bloke mentioned above, if he could fly me to Tullamarine airport (Melbourne airport). Peter said no not really, but he could run me to Essendon airport which was close by and I could take a cab. Why, what be the difference I asked. Well Peter explained he was familiar with procedures of arrival and departure out of Essendon but not Tullamarine. If he messed up at Tulla and an incident report was created the aviation authority, CASA, would find out he had no pilot licence. It wasn’t worth the risk.
Eventually Peter did get a pilot licence.
My two sons Dennis and Michael’s first job was working at the Tocumwal gliding school with Peter and Bill Riley doing menial tasks and by saving their wages learned to fly gliders. Peter’s father in law Des Russell was their gliding instructor. The next year I taught them to fly aeroplanes and they towed gliders under the supervision of Peter.
One day years later Peter’s wife, Maryanne was flying to Darwin on the airliner and Dennis was captain. Her seat was upgraded. She later told Peter that never again was she flying economy. Of course Peter has long being a family friend and we all admire him. You'd have to wouldn't you. He flew all my planes but didn’t do ag work in them of course. Not that I know of anyway.

Footnote.
Peter’s father in law Des, was a gliding instructor and otherwise builder. He and Peter built my house near Tocumwal. Michael towed Des and others for 2 years and had accrued 700 plus hours before starting their first real flying job. Dennis for one season and accrued nearly 500. They both got their start from Peter, Des and Bill Riley.
In the morning Dennis flies Sydney- Auckland- Brisbane and Michael does Hong Kong-New York.
Des had an aneurism and died near Tamworth. I gave him the last flight and landing. To Tocumwal. Now that was sad.
And Peter, he remains the boy wonder.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #226
woofa.express

Further to last nights story.

Des's widow, the delightful Mary has had shingles for 4 years. It is not uncommon especially for those of middle age and older. A poster in our doctor's waiting room warns patients of the agony of shingles. Says it's like shards of glass beneath the skin. Mary describes it like having rats inside, trying to eat their way out.
The message is this and it's clear. Shingles can be vaccinated against. Both myself and wife have been vaccinated. Make sure you take this prevention.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #227
woofa.express

Another story of Good Luck.

The Pratt and Whitney radials hold a rather large quantity of oil so to warm up takes time. On a winter’s morning this can be up to 15 minutes. Rather than sit in a cold aeroplane I would get out and do any other thing. I always, yes always, had the tail wheel tied. When oil warms the RPM increases and the aeroplane can walk off if not tied.
I heard acrunch and mistook it to be a vehicle running over a pile of pallets nearby. I walked outside and found my aeroplane had walked off and had stopped only after it entered a small stand of trees. The rope was hemp only, no synthetic and had failed. I shut down the engine and drove home for my chainsaw and returned and cut the aeroplane out of this plantation and pulled it free. I replaced the broken spray nozzles and departed for my first job, now nearly an hour late. The trail of leaves and small branches left on the bitumen strip looked like Hansel and Gretel had been.
Now there was a very fortunate aspect to this incident. Here it is. At home we had a slow combustion stove which consumed fire wood about 10 inches in length thus I cut firewood just that long. Several pieces had been cut and left in front of these trees and the aeroplane had taxied over them. When I pulled the plane back I checked the clearance between the prop and these sawn cuts. About the depth of the small end of my index finger. That would be about one quarter of an inch. If I have of had a prop strike that would be a couple of days out of service to acquire another engine, install it and I would have needed to find the money for same.
Now that was luck. I did have another stroke of good luck when I lost the sump plug. I told this story some weeks ago and if you missed it do go back and have a read.
Luck. There are two types. Firstly if it wasn’t for bad luck, one may not have any luck at all. Then secondly there’s just the opposite. Now a bloke gets good luck sometimes, right? It seemed like I did.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM   #228
woofa.express

White stripes that can be seen from the moon.

Cotton defoliation. Drying agents are sprayed on to mature cotton crops and the green leaf matter is shed by the plant. This gives a drier and cleaner plant for the harvester and does not discolour the dry cotton.
These days farmers with flags are redundant as markers and have been replaced by electronic GPS tracking systems. One enters the swath width of each pass and the desired application rate of material into the GPS computer . The control pad and the screen are not really located conveniently for good viewing. It is difficult in a small single pilot cabin because space is very limited.
I was to enter a swath of 18 metres and an application rate of 28 litres per hectare.Well I didn’t do that so very well. I entered a swath of 28 and a rate of 18. Wrong way around. It didn’t take too long for me to realize my error but I figured I had sprayed a few runs and must continue. I could finish and restart but I had to eye ball the first run and if I was to make an error the problem would accentuate. I figured it was best left until I could eye ball the gaps and restart. That took about 10 days and boy were the stripes apparent. I saw them. So did every other pilot working in the area. Was most embarrassing. I reckoned they could be seen from the moon. I did return to fill in the gaps.
You know, no other pilot said a thing but a couple did give a big grin when they spotted me.

No stories for a couple of days because I will be traveling. And I will exhaust my memory of incidences and funnies soon.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-21-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #229
dan

Interesting story
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #230
CB919ER

A short Model A story...

This happened to me recently. I had to drop my truck off to be repaired at a shop next to my work. The Tech working on my truck asked if I had a way home, or if I would be waiting. I said I could wait, or I had my Model A parked in the warehouse where I work. The weather was supposed to be clear all weekend so I thought to myself, "Screw it, I'm driving the Ol' Model A home for the weekend."

All weekend long the car ran like a champ. I drove her all over town. Took my girlfriend to dinner with my buddy and his girl in the rumble seat. I get up Monday morning to take the car out, I'm off sunday and Monday, and the starter wont engage the flywheel. I tried tapping the starter, slightly spinning the engine with the crank, even rocked it back and forth a little. This sadly did not help. I got the crank back out, inserted it into the front of the car, and with a quick pull upward the car sprang into life. I let her warm up and drove down the road for gas.

Again, when trying to start the car, I could hear the starter spin but it wouldn't not engage. I got the trusty crank back out. Again, one might pull and we were ready to go. Accepting the fate of my starter I just planned to hand crank the car the rest of the day. This went over well and I even had a few curious parties watch as I went old school with the starting process.

Lets move to Tuesday morning and I'm getting ready to leave for work. Knowing the starter is not working correctly I went ahead and put the crank in the car and got ready to go. I knew you were supposed to keep your thumb under the crank incase kickback, but I didn't know I should only pull up on the crank. About the third crank I pull up and continue to push it back down. This is when the engine got fussy and kicked back against my hand. Luckily for me year of playing various musical instruments has kept my wrists limber and forearms relatively strong. When the engine kicked it proceeded to lift me from the ground and throw me about 5 feet from the car. I didn't feel any pain and check to make sure I still had movement, then proceeded to laugh at myself for the lesson in stupidity the car decided to teach me.

I rolled her down the driveway, and popped the clutch to start the car and drove on to work.

Not very entertaining but maybe someone can learn from my mistake.
CB919ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:20 AM   #231
woofa.express

Hi CB919ER

You may think your story is not entertaining but I don't, so why don't you let others be the judge. Don't condemn yourself.
I found it great you are getting some useful work from your car. And it looks great in the photos too.
So the engine kicked back when you were cranking. No not unusual. I grew up on a farm before self starters and power steering. One very quickly learned to hold ones thumbs over the outer of the crank. And without power steering the steering wheel would kick like the crank and likewise one learned to keep thumbs folded on the outer wheel. You keep those stories coming.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 AM   #232
woofa.express

The Excelsior Hotel Khartoum.

Do you remember my story of Sudan and the Excelsior Hotel? A multi story structure which was built by the British some decades before I was there and the scaffolding was 5x5 timber held together with clamps. It is quite possible the scaffolding had been there since the hotel was built and never disassembled.
I entered the Sudan in September ’77 and had several days stay in the hotel. On the third floor sat a telephone technician, on a little stool. He had wires out everywhere. What a mess. If I needed to call room 330 for example the reception gave me the number to dial. It could well be 123 and the next day it was changed. And that fellow seemed to work diligently all day.
My job finished about 4 days before Christmas and back to the Excelsior before departure. Here was the same fellow, on the same floor, at the same junction box, on the same stool doing the same thing. And one still needed to ask reception for the number to dial when needing room 330.
That was a good job for gaining exposure to another country and another culture. I was glad of that experience but don’t think I need a second exposure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-SUDAN 1977 1311.jpg (335.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-25-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #233
CB919ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Hi CB919ER

You may think your story is not entertaining but I don't, so why don't you let others be the judge. Don't condemn yourself.
I found it great you are getting some useful work from your car. And it looks great in the photos too.
So the engine kicked back when you were cranking. No not unusual. I grew up on a farm before self starters and power steering. One very quickly learned to hold ones thumbs over the outer of the crank. And without power steering the steering wheel would kick like the crank and likewise one learned to keep thumbs folded on the outer wheel. You keep those stories coming.
Thanks! I love driving my car and I do as much as I can. I love seeing people's faces light up when I drive by or hit the horn. I knew to keep my thumb out in case of kickback, but I never though about not pushing down for the same reason.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:52 AM   #234
woofa.express

Conservation or Stupidity ?

I always said it is a shame communism ended in the west because radicals had to find another cause, any cause. Many found conservation. Others found genetic modification of plants, many aspects of global warming and immigration issues to name just some. Uni professors who call themselves elites (what a narcissistic self opinionated title) found social justice causes of anykind. Without a cause their authority was waning. These radicals have now become irritating and a nuisance in society.

After saying that I think we all are conservative without being stupid about it and we all deplore wastage. I made the following observation on a flight from Malaysia to Darwin Australia. There were more than 1000 Indonesian fishingboats operating in the Timor Sea nor nor west of Darwin. Operating in twos and threes they had these very big fish, up to 6, tethered. I couldn’t quite figure why.
After landing Darwin and completing all the immigration and customs documentation and refuelling the aeroplane I took a cab to town. I was telling the driver of the sighting. He said he had been a fisherman and said the big fish were sharks. The fishermen would cut the fins off the beasts (for an Asian delicacy, shark fin soup) and discard the bodies. Now I deplore that, the wastage that is. Why don’t they take the bodies as well. Indonesians I’m sure would use the meat. Don’t you agree?
Sometimes I forget things.

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-26-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #235
woofa.express

Revisit an old story of mine. This is a response to a quote from M2M below which he said in his story

This is the hobby in Russia” story #1 and that too is a well worth read.

The quote. “When you've got no money and A parts are not falling out of the sky like in the USA, you do what you've gotta do.”

But bovine do. Read my story number 84

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-27-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #236
woofa.express

Those trusty old Agcats.

I was waiting at an intersection on Griffith airport to take off. My mate Robby had just opened the throttle in his Agcat and was rolling.
Behind me was Adam and we were both flying Airtractors, turbine powered state of the art aeroplanes. Pictures of both aeroplanes are attached below.
The Airtractors are very expensive and Robby’s agcat, the trusty old and delightfulto fly, radial powered and very much more affordable aeroplane.
Robby became airborne and as he passed both Adam and I, I called on the radio to Robby and said he hadn’t made as much money today as Adam and I. His response lacked all enthusiasm.
Then I said more had probably stuck to him and he answered that one with much more enthusiasm and in agreence “yes it has and that’s good too”.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg airtractor in ferry.jpg (19.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg catcary.jpg (12.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #237
woofa.express

Approval to Carry a Spreader.

Australian aviation law requires an aeroplane to be able to jettison or dump a load within 5 seconds. Liquid loads present no problems however solids such as fertilizer or seed simply just can’t comply. They just don’t flow fast enough. Rice is the slowest to flow infact the normal sowing rate is almost the full dump position. Simply nothing can meet this impossible requirement. And aviation always insisted on viewing a dump demonstration. So how did we manage this. By cheating of course.
The first time I was required to demonstrate a new type of aeroplane was off a secondary airport at Melbourne. It took some 3 attempts to prove that it could be done. It was frustrating. On the third attempt, with aviation watching, on the count of five I slammed the dump door closed and when I landed and out of sight I dumped the rest on the ground. I also lied. In hand loading I would count each 50kg we tipped in like this. 1 2 4 6 etc. They would look with alerted curiosity but shortly their attention would wain and the irregular counting would continue.
The second time I was required to demonstrate on a new type was at Finley. The smarty aviation blokes insisted they wanted the demonstration with wet rice, just like we sowed each spring. I lied again. “you are too late in the year for this. Rice has been harvested and exported.” There was maybe 100,000 tons in sheds only half a mile away but they weren’t to know. “But, I continued, I have urea and we do spread alot of that”. They agreed that would suffice. In those days it was prilled like glass and flowed like quick silver, well nearly anyway. We loaded the plane. I explained that this load presented a great cost to me. My neighbour who was a dairy farmer said I could do as many trials on his pasture as was required. So I sent them, aviation, down the road, about 7 miles away. I took off and spread two thirds of the load enroute to the testing ground.
I had passed the test in 4.9 seconds. I was pleased with myself and they appeared happy. I bought them a counter lunch and they departed back to their ivory tower in Sydney with the numbers I needed.
Footnote.
1. I believe every dump test they ever witnessed had to be a set up.
2. My dad always taught us kids to tell the truth. However when dealing with the government just tell them anything, he said. I once told a customs officer who pinched me for the non declaration of a video camera that I had no conscience about lying to the government, as I explained, they lied to me every day.
The shot shows a spreader underslung beneath the belly. The aeroplane is an Airtractor and being loaded with shot rice to sow into bays of shallow water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997 GARY ATS .jpg (76.7 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 08-28-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 AM   #238
woofa.express

Gary will be away from the internet for a few days. Maybe someone else can do a story or two. ??????

Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #239
CB919ER

The air is cool and crisp. One can hear the bird start to chirp as the day springs forth a new. The gentle rumble of the rollers on the garage door talks to me as light reflect on the paint and chrome. A quaint smile, a quiet chill, and a measure of contentment wells from within. I'll open the door and take my seat as the show is about to begin. We go through the motions that allow our souls to become one. The starter is pressed, the fuel flows, and four cylinders roar to life singing there song in a glorious harmony truly only understood by a chosen few.

We slide into gear and take actions as we watch the world pass us by, living in bliss of the simplicity. Life seems to slow a bit as we move about our day, bringing an odd joy to those who see us travel along out merry way.

When the day is done and we retreat to our homes, we both know no matter what we face everything will be alright. We know this for I don't ask my Model A to be more than she is, nor does she expect anything but unbridled love from me. This mutual love can exist because without hesitation we know this adventure can begin again, until we lay our heads to rest.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:34 AM   #240
woofa.express

Robo asked for it.

John Robertson is an excavator contractor in the NSW town of Finley. Always full of life and cheek too. Well one day I was spraying a rice crop for Jim Casey. Spraying for grass commonly known as barnyard grass. The herbicide was Ordram. After spraying this odour will come from the water for 5 days and stinks. Really stinks. However it is not toxic as such.
Each time I turned the aeroplane to do a return run I’d get the fingers. John made sure I saw him by acting like a clown. With John was a farmer and his name is Paul Sexton. Paul may have thought Robo’s behaviour was funny but he Paul, wasn’t endeavouring to offend me. Well I needed to get even with Robo so when I finished the paddock I left about 5 gallons in the aeroplane hopper and flew at them. Robo then presented the fingers from both hands. He didn’t know what was coming and about 30 yards I opened the dump lever (ie jettison) and they both wore it. Well they were quite wet and very smelly. Both jumped into the irrigation channel in an endeavour to clean up. Robo went home, washed his clothes 3 times then burned them.
Now Paul had a new ute. The windows were wound down. Ordram entered the cab in the right hand side and wet everything. A little came out the left hand window. Sexo gave the cab a good washout with a pressure hose. At the time of writing that was at least 30 years ago.Sexo says he can still smell it on a warm day.
After that,on every occasion Robo spotted me he lifted the boom on his excavator as high as it would extend in an endeavour to keep me as far away as possible. We are still on good terms but never again did he endeavour to attract my attention. He kept his hands in his pockets, so to speak.

The picture is simply internet sort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg excavator.jpg (17.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-01-2018 at 05:43 AM.