Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
Superhart

Default Front Bumper Brace Bent

I noticed that the passenger side front bumper brace on my 1930 coupe appears bent bringing that side of the bumper 2” closer to the front tire than the driver’s side. I assume that is not normal. Has anyone straightened out one of these braces? If so, how? The brace just appears to be curved too much near the bumper. I can make a template from the driver’s side brace but how would be the best way to try and “uncurve” this brace to match the driver’s side? Also, I measured the distance on each side of the bumper from the outer end to center of bumper clamp. Driver’s side 11”, passenger side 9.5”. Any suggestions welcome.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
chrs1961815

Default Re: Front Bumper Brace Bent

I just did this to my roadster a few months ago. First off compare the shape and bends to the good one. Maybe make a diagram.
Bad news is that you have to take it off the car, put it in a vice, and heat it up until red and bend it a tad. It doesn't take much to change it. You will have to repaint it.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

10 ton press. Does have to come off car. Correct in matching to the one believed right
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:48 PM   #4
40-A Twins

I just did this about 2 months ago. Heat up the bent area with oxy-acetylene torch and thump on it with a big mallet. A large heavy wooden mallet comes in very handy for this sort of work.
Kevin
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:39 AM   #5
Oldbluoval

Make sure frame horn is not bent. But likely would show in front part of fender
With car together that can be a tough fix.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #6
Superhart

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I checked the frame. It appears to be straight. The issue with the passenger side brace is that compared to the driver's side brace it is just more sharply curved which places the bumper clamp closer to the end of the bumper and draws the bumper closer to the front tire. I am getting the impression that I need to make a template from the good brace, remove the bent one from the car, heat and some gentle persuasion to straighten out the excessive curve is the answer. Gee, where is a good old blacksmith when you need one? The only heat I have is a propane torch. Of course I could always just bite the bullet and order a new set from a vendor but what fun would that be?

As an aside, the ends of my braces at the bumper clamp are squared off, not rounded. What exactly are the differences between the 28-29 braces and the 30-31 braces? I called and asked Snyder's the question. Reply: no difference other than the clamp ends squared for 28-29 and early 30, rounded ends for late 30-31. I also realized after removing the passenger side brace that the brace is bent just forward of the mounting frame holes , not an excessive curve like I originally thought. Hopefully a torch and a little elbow grease will correct the problem. Yes, I made a template from the driver's side brace to use.

Last edited by Superhart; 10-07-2021 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #7
Tacoma Bob

Going through this right now with my 30 Tudor. You really need to remove the brace from the frame. The original braces are spring steel and heating will remove the temper. In my case I was 99 percent sure it was my pass. side brace. I removed both and bolted them together. Oh boy howdy the pass side is the bad one. A small propane torch will never generate the heat needed to bend that thick steel. I'm replacing with an original and calling it good.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #8
redmodelt

Re the temper thing, what I have been told is; once the brace has been heated that hot needs to be re-tempered. Spring shops can do that. The braces need to be springy too, they are not just big chucks of iron holding the bars.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #9
Mulletwagon

Had the EXACT situation last year. I removed both brackets, bolted them together, put the pair in a vise, and heated the bent unit and rehaped it until in symetrically matched the left unit. Was not too difficult. Good Luck.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:29 AM   #10
Fred A

I don't know what your time is worth, but consider finding a nice matching pair. With the number of cars not running bumpers, could be much easier. A single of the same profile even cheaper. Out here A chassis parts have become like dirt. Bumper irons are not rust sensitive like sheet metal. You should know the market at your corner of the country. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
Superhart

Today my friend and I clamped the bent front brace on a steel table and used an oxyacetylene torch to heat the bent area until red hot. The bend was removed easily with just some pressure on the bumper end of the brace. I had made a cardboard template from the driver's side brace to guide us. When cool, the brace fit perfectly and looked spot on so I bead blasted it, primed and painted it to match body color. It works perfectly and looks great.

Thanks to everyone who posted and commented. This has been a real education. Snyder's told me that the only difference between the 28-29 braces and the 30-31s were if the bumper ends were squared or rounded. However, during my search I noticed at least two different lengths and curve profiles in addition especially between automotive and truck braces. It seems that the truck braces are longer and place the front bumper further forward of the body than the automotive ones.