Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
pooch

Default early 28 screen post screws

deleted

Last edited by pooch; 10-17-2010 at 02:23 AM. Reason: found info on net
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Bick in New Zealand

Default Re: early 28 screen post screws

Hi Pooch,

Greetings from across the ditch. The screws in the picture you posted are slotted, it is just the reflection on the chrome surface playing tricks. I can guarantee you if your car is an Australian original it would have had Robertson head screws holding the staunchion.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
dave in australia

Sorry Bick, robertsons screws were not used on Australian A's on the windscreen posts, they were sloted.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Bick in New Zealand

That's interesting, my statement was based on the observation of two Australian assembled cars we have in our club, a '28 phaeton affectionately known as 'Dingo' because of it's color, and an unrestored '28 roadster that has been given the ute treatment. Always keen to learn more, and seem to be constantly learning new things about Model A's on a daily basis!

Cheers.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
dave in australia

Not all RHD"s in Australia were made here. Some were brought in as CKD's while most had Australian made bodies. If they had steel body stringers and frames they are Canadian CKD's, but if they have wood stringers and frames then they are Australian made bodies. In the sixties, my father went around and picked up as many A's from local farms as he could. Of all the tourers, roadsters and utes he picked up, not one had robertson screws in the windscreen posts, all were slotted.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
pooch

Sorry about deleting the OP, but after I posted it, and I thought before anyone had replied, I did a search and found philips head screws were not invented until the 30/s, so they could not be original on a 28, as all of you have said.

It was just the fit and finish of the screws in the post and the originality of the rest of the car led me astray.

After all, a local model A owner told me my robertson screws in dash panel were wrong too, so is always best to ask before removing something and damaging it , IF it is original.

If it is not original, it don/t matter, chop it out, like I did with the plastic wiring fitted.

Dave, my car has wood "stringers", are they the main longitudinal body bearers that sit on chassis and bolt thru valance.

The whole lower frame/floor is wood, including a drop down shallow tool/junk chest with a pull ring lift up lid set into the rear floor.

While on the subject of under floor, what held the rear wiring to chassis after it passed thru chassis gap at brake cross shaft and went to rear?

It must need some sort of clip to stop it falling on the muffler?

I presume LHD cars have wiring going down the left opposite side to muffler.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:41 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Sorry about deleting the OP, but after I posted it, and I thought before anyone had replied, I did a search and found philips head screws were not invented until the 30/s, so they could not be original on a 28, as all of you have said.

It was just the fit and finish of the screws in the post and the originality of the rest of the car led me astray.

After all, a local model A owner told me my robertson screws in dash panel were wrong too, so is always best to ask before removing something and damaging it , IF it is original.

If it is not original, it don/t matter, chop it out, like I did with the plastic wiring fitted.

Dave, my car has wood "stringers", are they the main longitudinal body bearers that sit on chassis and bolt thru valance.

The whole lower frame/floor is wood, including a drop down shallow tool/junk chest with a pull ring lift up lid set into the rear floor.

While on the subject of under floor, what held the rear wiring to chassis after it passed thru chassis gap at brake cross shaft and went to rear?

It must need some sort of clip to stop it falling on the muffler?

I presume LHD cars have wiring going down the left opposite side to muffler.
That compartment in the rear floor is for the side curtains.

The wiring is held to the top side of the bottom lip of the frame by 3 clips. I was just installing the tail light wiring on a 1931 widebed tonight. Any of the parts houses should have the clips.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
dave in australia

There weren't too many places on the Australian made bodies that actually used robertson's, majority were slotted.

Dave, my car has wood "stringers", are they the main longitudinal body bearers that sit on chassis and bolt thru valance. - yes, thats them.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
pooch

Tom, I got another surprise today.

I vacuumed out the under rear floor compartment and found the two front unused side curtain upright rods tucked under.

Very old and slightly rusty, looks like they have been there for 80 years.

I figure the roll up front curtains and bar was a very early accessory.

It did not take me long to figure that the compartment would accommodate the rear curtains nicely.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #10
pooch

Finally got a pic of what is fitted to my 28.

Maybe you can how a newbie could be confused with the originality of the finish.

As (I now know), philips heads were never invented until the 30/s, did ford possibly fit them to 30/s open cars, and they are the same size and someone retrofitted them to mine?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/k/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

They do look like they match the rest of the patina. Can you get them loose? Mine have the correct slotted screws, but so far I can't get them loose.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
pooch

I did try Tom, with a screwdriver, but they were tight, and I can't find my impact wrench.

The patina is the same huh?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
HoarseWhisperer

These are the #4 Robertson screws on my 31' Canadian Roadster's lower stanchions.

Mine were very tight also and the issue was to find a #4 Robertson driver to fit, as the common drivers available now are #0, 1, 2 and 3.

The only place I could find the proper size driver was from the Robertson Co. itself, in Milton, Ontario Canada.

The rest of the interior fasteners are #2 or #3 Robertsons, commonly available.

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote