Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
QGolden

Default Ford Licensed Parts

I am starting this thread because I was afraid that my comments might hijack another thread, so out of respect for Mike V. I thought I would share my thoughts on a new thread.

I made a comment on the Mac's Survey thread that Mac's had sent me Ford Licensed parts, so I had to presume that the parts that Mac's sold me were to spec. A comment was made that:

"Licensed Ford parts only mean thay can use the name Ford and the Ford part number. It has NOTHING to do with quality!!!:

I disagree with that general statement. I have been casually involved with the organizational requirements to product licensing, and it is an excruciating process. Companies are very protective of their brand and mark. I am pretty sure if you were to contact Ford with Ford Licensed product that was shoddy or unsafe, that they would take it very seriously. I know from personal experience that Harley Davidson does.

From media.ford.com : "The strict licensing process helps ensure any parts bearing the company’s official trademarks meet the quality standards and authenticity that classic Ford enthusiasts demand. Each approved part comes with a blue-and-white sticker with the Ford logo stating it is an officially licensed restoration part. That means the fit, function and appearance is as authentic as the original."

“When Ford stops making a part and retires the tooling, that tooling is offered to FCS" <Ford Component Sales>,” “Based on the type of component and whether we think it would be of interest to the vintage vehicle market, we then offer it to one of our 75 licensed manufacturers and they put the tooling back into service.

“The end result,” <...> “is that owners of vintage Ford vehicles get a source of factory-correct parts made on Ford tooling.”

So I think that by buying Ford Licensed Parts for my Vintage vehicle I decrease the chances of getting an inferior product.

What is your experience? Do you look for Licensed parts first?

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Ford Licensed Parts

Do you think FCS has any original Model A tooling sitting on their shelves??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Pickupman

Do you think FCS was around when Ford stopped production of the Model A?
Pickupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quinn, I think it is an economics thing for Ford Mtr. Co as I do not think they could afford to "oversee" the Q/C of each manufacturer for every model of vehicle they have ever produced. If they did, it would likely cause that cost to be passed onto the manufacturer ...who ultimately would pass the cost onto the consumer driving the price to be prohibitive to restore using repro parts. Think about all the different cars we are speaking of, ...Model-T, Model-A, Early V-8, Falcon, Mustang, Thunderbird, F-series, Vans, et/al and even Tractors. The amount of parts that are being reproduced for the Ford brand is mind boggling!! I just do not see the feasibility. It is more about protecting their name and brand.

Personally, the licensing means nothing to me as it is the quality & authenticity of the item that I am looking for.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Hicktick

I am just curious , what Ford licenced parts did you buy ????????
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
darrylkmc

For me when I see that a part is a "Ford Official Licensed Product" I take a real close look, I think that this is often a draw and doesn't necessarily speak the whole truth. Big red flag for me.

For an example, Snyder's Model A pistons are described as follows:

"Excellent quality solid skirt OEM Model A Pistons" these are also "Ford Official Licensed Product"

Doesn't say not a single word about being manufactured in TAIWAN ,
even though most other parts in Snyders Catalog state the country of origin.

When I receive parts that are not advertised truthfully I send them back.

I think that much of the "Ford Official Licensed Product" sold today have become the "GYPO" parts that Ford warned us about in the Service Bulletins.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 04-09-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Added Gypo Reference
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
I am just curious , what Ford licenced parts did you buy ????????
Spring Shackles, Shock link Bushings, Brake Springs, and other sundries...All the packaging bearing the Authorized Ford mark.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here, "maybe" the FORD stickered mis-fit parts should have been stickered, CHEV! maybe they would have fit it! I saw a "CHEV" once, out the window Haven't SMELLED one yet Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dust_car_gs.jpg (70.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
peters180a/170b

Don't know to much about this subject "BUT" I have had LONG TALKS with the late AL Lapore of A+L Parts and he said to have CHANGED his old reproduction S/S hubcaps to a BETTER closer to original one FORD Motor Company held him up just over 6 months to give him the rights and have FORD Licensed part. Now times may have changed i don't know but they did hang him up on a few parts only with FORD on them..That might have something to do with it ...THE WORD "FORD" ON THE PART IT SELF????
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

Licensing is basicly a royalty for using the name and or trademark. Nothing more. Protecting the brand as far as quality is of very little or no concern. They already made their money on Model A's and other antique cars. Their basic concerns now days are EPA, safety and the quality of the modern cars coming off of their lines. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Our parts dealers even have to pay Ford for using the Ford part number to list the parts. That's why Bratton's has their own numbering system.

Official Licensed Ford Part means nothing to me, except maybe buyer beware.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
MikeK

Vintique is Ford licensed for many A parts. The quality gives me goose bumps!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
Drive Shaft Dave

I think these part numbers from Ford, are called intellectual property.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
QGolden

Well, I sent a note to Ford requesting information. It may be a long journey to get questions answered, but I am very curios. Seems some folks have little respect for the brand. I would like to know what Ford's take on it is.

You know, one needs to have some starting point to purchase parts in a market where there are clearly inferior parts. Generally quality cost more but is less expensive, but I do not believe that just because it is expensive it is good. I do not believe that because it has the Ford Mark on the bag it is always best. I know that Companies like revenue. I know that many distributors have access to few manufactures so most are carrying the same product, good and bad.

Saying that parts for XXX distributor are bad or worse than parts from YYY distributor is, to me, anecdotal evidence, although it is based upon a very real experience perceived by the customer therefor to the commentor it is very true.

I just think that you put the odds in your favor when you purchase a licensed product. I believe that companies will police products carrying their brand. Brand = Profits and any destruction of the brand is taken seriously. I know that Ford does not care about me or my car, but they do care if I buy a competitors product because their brand has been compromised.

Maybe I have too much faith the most people are still good.

Anyway I sent a note to Ford, and will post back when they reply.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Big John

rotsa-ruck as they used say in the army.....
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Rowdy
BANNED

I think you are expecting Ford Certified Quality at a Ford Licenced price. Having worked for a Ford Certified supplier for 18 years I can gaurantee the price would be even higher. The hoops that must be jumped through to achieve and maintain a Q1 status would put most of the manufactureres out of businness and the restoreres would likely stop restoring due to the price. Rod
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Vintique is Ford licensed for many A parts. The quality gives me goose bumps!
I just about had a fit the other day when I received some parts. The vendor had used an empty Vintique box to house some very nice AER inserts. Vintique does make nice sturdy little white boxes. Just glad that what was inside was not of their mfr.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
John LaVoy

Several years ago I interviewed the folks at Ford regarding the license procedure. They try to be careful regarding the parts but have different formats to license. Most often it is the use of the Ford name and perhaps part number that gets licensed, not the part itself. If the part is being done it has to meet certain criteria regarding Ford blueprints and material quality. They have actually had parts sent to us to install on Model As to evaluate for them. So they are taking it serious but much was licensed early on that didn't follow all of the way they do it now.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
mhsprecher

This is an interesting thread. It is all about intellectual property and protecting the brand, plus a little revenue. A lot of us have pretty high standards and not much patience for monkey business, so we are a hard bunch to please. We also have a lot of reverence and loyalty to the brand. It's probably hard to make everyone happy on this.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #20
John LaVoy

When I interviewed Ford Motor Company the licensing was two fold, legacy and liability. It seems someone made a Mustang part and put the part number on it. It was substandard material, failed and Ford got sued. That is when they got really serious about the licensing.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote