Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
hardtimes

Default Gen / alt q.....

Anyone know if an adaptor is made that allows me to use an alternator, in place of generator...WITH THE FAN in front (of gen) Anyone using such a setup...picture please...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1140.jpg (67.1 KB, 28 views)
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Don

Default Re: Gen / alt q.....

Yes,bought one at Hershey,the guy takes the mount and pulley from your generator and mates it to a alternator,some machine work involved,makes a neat set up,got mine on uses one wire hook up.and fans works and looks like the gen.have to take a second look to notice the alt.!,$125.00 + 12.00 shipping if he ships it ..will try and find his info,here somewhere
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
mrtexas

Yup, all the hot rod catalogs sell them for around $110 for the two pieces necessary. You may also have to change your intake manifold to a later model like I did on my 36. Too high of generator mount on the 36 so the alternator wouldn't fit.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Yes,bought one at Hershey,the guy takes the mount and pulley from your generator and mates it to a alternator,some machine work involved,makes a neat set up,got mine on uses one wire hook up.and fans works and looks like the gen.have to take a second look to notice the alt.!,$125.00 + 12.00 shipping if he ships it ..will try and find his info,here somewhere
Hey Don,
Great info and thanks for that! Is it possible that you can show pics of it on your car? Send to my email if you'd rather. Yeah, I'd really appreciate that fellows information !
My 'frankensteingen' has a bad armature..shop says. He also says 'be much better off with one wire alt. Well, wouldn't be changing, if this gen worked, but .... Worst thing is, I don't know what armature this gen has that has the loong nose that sticks out of the '56 case enough to attach the fan/pulley as it is now. Do you know what that long armature would be...'37/'39 what
Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Don

Will try and get pic and info in morn,garage is close up till morning
Old 10-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
37don

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The guy you are looking for is Lloyd Becker in Norwalk Ohio His phone number is 1-419-577-4377 or 419-577-2341. He is a great guy to do business with and has a good product. I have close to 25000 mi on mine and works well. Just a suggestion if you get one, I mounted the alt. on a spare manifold and checked the 4 mounting bosses on the pulley with a dial indicator where the fan mounts. They were all over the place causing the fan to wobble. after getting them within .002" the fan runs true. Also if you can find a v8 60 pulley it will run the alt. a little faster.
Regards, Don
Regards, Don
37don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
hardtimes

Hey 37 Don,
Appreciate your assistance and practical application input! I think that I may have a V8 60 pulley !
Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Will try and get pic and info in morn,garage is close up till morning
Hey Don,
Does it sound like the same guy that 37Don gave info on? If not, I'd still appreciate your effort/info!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Yup, all the hot rod catalogs sell them for around $110 for the two pieces necessary. You may also have to change your intake manifold to a later model like I did on my 36. Too high of generator mount on the 36 so the alternator wouldn't fit.
Hey mytexas,
Hm, well I think that the 'intake' on my '36 engine is '34 (see pic for id help,eh). BTW what 'later' year intake did you use to get satisfaction?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #10
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey mytexas,
Hm, well I think that the 'intake' on my '36 engine is '34 (see pic for id help,eh). BTW what 'later' year intake did you use to get satisfaction?
https://sites.google.com/site/mrtexa...e/36fordintake
Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
sturgis 39

I would never install an alternator on an old Ford. If I got a dumb streak and thought an alternator was the only thing I could use to impress a technician at electrical shop I would at least buy one that looks like a generator. Speedway Motors sells the alternators that look like generators. Speedway also sells the pulley for mounting the fan.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Thanks! Good info/pics
Old 11-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Don

Becker antique auto electric,,,my flyer phone numbers ,,,,,419-668-5986 or 419-663-5122 .will try a pic Did not have any problem with blade running out of round.

[IMG]http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/pdonjan/6bcc05b0c7204b48087ca402b2cefe48.jpg[/IM
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Don

Try pic again.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
B-O-B

Don I don't have a problem with using an alternator BUT:got mine on uses one wire hook up.and fans works and looks like the gen.have to take a second look to notice the alt.!,
You might need to get your eyes checked. J M O heh heh he
There are outfits that will install an alternator in your old housing that will not be too noticeable.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
Don

I checked those out, a little pricy,I thought,not planning on going to a points show,just wanted something a little more reliable although I never had any trouble from the generator,I think the alt. Does a little better for nite driving.I could probably use a new pair of glasses.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Shadetree

Don,
Looks great! That should work better than the electric fan set-up we discussed. Nice thing about the one wire and six volts positive ground, you just hook up the alternator to your existing one wire system and you're done. It should be very low maintenance too. I have a 13 year old van that has over 260,000 miles on the alternator. This alternator should last the `35 for the next 3-4 generations at least!

Bud
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
I would never install an alternator on an old Ford. If I got a dumb streak and thought an alternator was the only thing I could use to impress a technician at electrical shop I would at least buy one that looks like a generator. Speedway Motors sells the alternators that look like generators. Speedway also sells the pulley for mounting the fan.
Here is my installation in my 36 woodie with a 37 engine:

It cost $45 for a rebuilt alternator, no core, $100 for the bracket and $50 for the intake. IMHO $450 is too much for an alternator. I didn't think $100 for a voltage regulator and an unknown condition generator was what I wanted either.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
2ndgeer

Judging from some of the above comments I'm probably out of step with lots of early Ford folks. Anyway, I had Ed Whitney convert a '34 generator to an alternator so I could use the stock '34 fan. Here is his conversion. It is expensive but it looks a lot more "correct" to me than the Powermaster versions sold by Speedway, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WHITNEY ALTERNATOR CONVERSION.JPG (16.6 KB, 16 views)
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgeer View Post
Judging from some of the above comments I'm probably out of step with lots of early Ford folks. Anyway, I had Ed Whitney convert a '34 generator to an alternator so I could use the stock '34 fan. Here is his conversion. It is expensive but it looks a lot more "correct" to me than the Powermaster versions sold by Speedway, etc.
Hey 2ndgeer,
Yeah, I agree with you and mrtexas as to reliable application and to each his own on personal opinions about what you put on your car. I suppose we've ALL dealt many times with those that denigrate others for use of different 'stuff' on their property (vehicles). I personally have no problem like that,eh. I cannot justify the use , money wise, of alt in gen, but can see/understand the usel. I've decided to have my curr frankensteingen rebuilt and work ($) at collecting parts for the installation that mrtexas and others used. Thanks for all the off line help from fordbarners, as usual THE BEST guys in town Ahh, haven't thanked Ryan for this great source, in awhile. So RYAN ..you keep lots of us in the 'loop' and we appreciate you,eh !

Got a talented/experienced gen/alt rebuilder to fix the involved generator...he installed a replacement for the 'burned out' armature. Nice to finally get a relaxed ride out of this '36! Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by hardtimes; 11-02-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: UPDATE.....