Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
BCCHOPIT

Default Converting model A backing plate to Juice brakes?

Converting model A backing plate to Juice brakes?
I just picked up a two set of fronts that has been converted. I have looked
for some info on them but have come up blank. If any one has saved a link of a thread please post.

Thanks for any info I will post some pics soon

Bill
Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
BCCHOPIT

Default Re: Converting model A backing plate to Juice brakes?

some pics...

Old 10-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
dennisonk1957

It was tried on mine and "jury rigged"...we took everything off and put on new 39 plus ford backing plates and all the other parts like Bendix brakes, bearings etc...lots of parts, lots of money, but now it actually stops where before it wouldn't even stop....now I drive it confidently. Good luck on yours...Speedway motors and Mac have all the parts...spent between 2500 and 3000 dollars for peace of mind...happy to send the list if you want...two things we found out...one is that the hubs on the rear needed to be turned down some to fit the rear adapter and two was that we needed to grind down some of the Rear where the brake cylinder attaches to the hydraulic line to get some clearance...other than that....my friend showed me how easy it could be accomplished...all the best...
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Craig Lewis

Looks like the same hydraulic cr*p that was on my coupe when got it. After a year of sitting all the cylinders seized up.
I put it back to good old reliable mechanicals and gosh...coming up on 8 yrs now, sitting in the shop, and they still work perfect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7303468.jpg (60.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg more saved pics 011.jpg (24.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Recovered all pics 1380.jpg (105.5 KB, 157 views)
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
sturgis 39

I will probably never install hydraulic brakes on my Model "A". When I was a young and stupid I thought this conversion was a must. I heard nothing but bad stuff about mechanical brakes and most of it was generated by Ford so they could sell more cars in 39 and more pickups in 38. Some of these myths are still in circulation and spread by people in 60 to 80 age group. I had a 38 two door with mechanical brakes that stopped just as good as the 39 with hydraulic brakes that I drive today.

I never have to add brake fluid to the Model"A". The mechanical brakes got a lot of bad press because they were not maintained in the 1940 to 1960. They are easy to maintain but because of Ford and other car manufactures negative comments they were bad, bad, bad.

When people look at my Model "A", they usually say, you still have mechanical brakes. My reply is "ya, ant she cool". It is kind of like a cocktail waitress with a Dolly Partton wig. Ya ant she cool. I think Travis Trip sings the song.

Do not spend a bunch of money to satisfy a bunch of comments from people that actually have no knowledge about the subject.

There is a young couple that have tried to sell their house. They took it off the market and for the last two years they have been working on the house and spending a bunch of money. They both have big egos. There was nothing wrong with the house but people that viewed the house did not like this and they did not like this and they would have to change this. Most of the comments were to lower the price and the people that were viewing the house probably could not afford the house. The house now has a bunch of so called improvements and they will not get a dime more when they put it back on the market.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
dennisonk1957

I agree with you. Wish I had the original system but it had been messed with so much I decided on the change over...ps I think it is the Confederate Railroad who sing that song.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #7
BCCHOPIT

In No way am I ever going to put them on my car. I up grades mine to 35 brakes up front and 32s out back. My A does over 70 and stopped better then my 94 chevy pick up. I got them with some gas tanks I wonted from a guy. I just think its cool how some guys are always try making a better mouse trap it is what keeps the the car hobby going. You have the guys like my self that are always trying to make there cars faster and better and still look as if it was done in the 40s and the guys that are happy with keeping it as it was.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Bill: if you haven't, post your pics either on the EV8 board or the HAMB>.They'll be able to ID for you.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

My friend recently bought a 29 tudor that has hydraulic brakes using the stock backing plates , drums and parking brake mechanisms. I don't know what the wheel cylinders are but they look slightly smaller than yours Bill. The master cylinder was a 50's GM located off the side frame rail on a bracket and actuaded by the service brake rod, cylinder was located behind the drivers seat with a hole in the rear floor for filling. Simple way to use mostly stock parts.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
Louis

My mechanical brake's work just fine on my 31 , I don't understand why some want to change to hyd. brake's .
Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
My mechanical brake's work just fine on my 31 , I don't understand why some want to change to hyd. brake's .
That's one of life's great mysteries!

The Shodow Knows
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. View Post
My friend recently bought a 29 tudor that has hydraulic brakes using the stock backing plates , drums and parking brake mechanisms. I don't know what the wheel cylinders are but they look slightly smaller than yours Bill. The master cylinder was a 50's GM located off the side frame rail on a bracket and actuaded by the service brake rod, cylinder was located behind the drivers seat with a hole in the rear floor for filling. Simple way to use mostly stock parts.
Barry,
Must have been a lot of brake "inventors" in the past. I had a '32 coupe, brakes all stock, except someone put what looked like early Chev wheel cyls in the bottom of backing plates. The cylinders that had knotched caps & threaded rods to adjust the brakes. With these, I could adjust the shoes at the bottom with the cyl adjuster & at the top with the stock adjusters for great contact & a high pedal. Brakes were GREAT and I drove it 6 years without a reline on the shoes it had when I bought it. AMAZING! Bill W.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
columbiA

Ive had 16 A,s over the years,and the one that I converted to 39-48 hydraulics didnt stop any better than the stock brakes,& no matter how long it sits, the brakes will always work.JMO.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

A small, hidden Bendix Hydro-Vac booster, breathes new life into early Ford hydraulic brakes. Bill W.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
A small, hidden Bendix Hydro-Vac booster, breathes new life into early Ford hydraulic brakes. Bill W.
Now look what you started. There will be a run on hydro-vacs and I won't be able to find one for my mechanical brakes.
Maybe I can switch to open driveshaft and bolt on a brake servo.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
FordMike

To each his own I guess. I've seen hydraulic brakes put on an A tons different ways but I've never seen one quite like that.

By the way, I can't help but feel like I recognize that name and coupe from somewhere!
FordMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Now look what you started. There will be a run on hydro-vacs and I won't be able to find one for my mechanical brakes.
Maybe I can switch to open driveshaft and bolt on a brake servo.
Tom,
Did a lot of searching for a suitable vacuum servo to add to stock brakes, no luck. Once made a diaphragm for a mechanical booster on a '36 Lincoln Model K, but that booster was THIIIIIIS BIIIIIIIIG!!! (With a full tank of gas, the car weighed 5,990 LBS!) Bill W.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 AM   #18
dumb person

My car has been sitting around undriven since 1967 and i drove it just yesterday, the mechanical brakes work better than some modern cars and i have not done anything with them except grease the rollers.
This is why i have a model A, mechanical brakes are a selling point to me.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #19
BCCHOPIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMike View Post
To each his own I guess. I've seen hydraulic brakes put on an A tons different ways but I've never seen one quite like that.

By the way, I can't help but feel like I recognize that name and coupe from somewhere!

It might help if you look at my pics
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
Smitty

I am running mechanical s and they stop the car just fine. I did install cast iron drums which work quite well.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote