Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Pepsi Mechanic

Default Is an air filter needed ?

Is an air filter needed on these engines ? Originally they did not have one , am I correct ..
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Mike

Default Re: Is an air filter needed ?

No they are not needed

mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
J Franklin

Might as well take the ones off our modern rigs also since air filters are not needed.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
gunmetal blue

Send a message via Yahoo to gunmetal blue

They will help your engine to last longer. without you get dirt and sand in your engine. This also gets in your valve and pistons. Will make your engine wear out faster.
gunmetal blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
A-Jay

I run a Air maze type of filter. Its not fram quality by any means but it should keep out the big stuff and also it services as a spark arestor in case of a back fire when the engine pan might have some fuel laying on it. The filter part Its not much more than 2-3 layers of window screen and is made of metal not paper, can't have very much air restriction.

CARBURETOR AIR MAZE For Year(s): 28-31

This was a Ford approved accessory beginning in Sept. ’29. It is used as a fire arrester and air filter. ID is 1 7/8" for carburetor. Will only fit Zenith Carburetors.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Glenn C.

My preference is to use an air filter, due the the sand and grit that is disturbed on what a person believes is very clean pavement. Once in awhile you might need to travel on a laneway or road that is gravel also. The filter system that I prefer to use, is now being marketed by Snyders, under part nos. A-9600-HB 28-31, which is called the Hi Boy Style Air Filter. With this style, fuel can not be collected in the filter, which might ignite from the exhaust.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
John Duden

the modern paper ones are good to have to make your engine last longer and the carb cleaner
John
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Apparently they did not have filters when new and I'm sure driving conditions were a lot dirtier than today.. The roadster had an air-maze when I bought it in '76.. I've used it, a filter and with nothing.. I noticed no real difference in performance,but, I don't run it hard.. The throat needs to be enlarged a bit for use on a Tillotson..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
1930artdeco

I understand the arguments for and against a filter. But what about a piece of pipe that is just pointed upwards w/o a filter? I will probably put one on my brand new engine as I don't want to suck anything up.

Mike
Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
I understand the arguments for and against a filter. But what about a piece of pipe that is just pointed upwards w/o a filter? I will probably put one on my brand new engine as I don't want to suck anything up.

Mike
Up, down, or sideways, you'll be sucking the same air. If you want to use a filter I'd use a balance tube. You should be able to connect the hole vent on the rear side (top center of bottom bowl) to the air filter. This will balance the air pressure on both sides of the mixture jets, so you don't enrichen the mix.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #11
Great Lakes Greg

I recall a tour where a car caught on fire. The float stuck in the carb and soaked the paper element. Poof, up it went.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Benson

Glenn,

What is diameter and length of the filter element please?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C. View Post
My preference is to use an air filter, due the the sand and grit that is disturbed on what a person believes is very clean pavement. Once in awhile you might need to travel on a laneway or road that is gravel also. The filter system that I prefer to use, is now being marketed by Snyders, under part nos. A-9600-HB 28-31, which is called the Hi Boy Style Air Filter. With this style, fuel can not be collected in the filter, which might ignite from the exhaust.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
Louis

Tom,
Do you use any kind of air filter's on your "A's" ?
Does installing an air filter enrichen the mix. ? Just trying to decide. Thamks.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #14
Clydes 31 P/U

I use one, alot of folks say that you don't need one but in my area and on some of the roads I run on, some times the dust can get pretty thick from the farmers fields. For me it's cheap insurance and a little piece of mind. The element I use is the K&N E2190.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (74.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 009.jpg (64.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (64.6 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Clydes 31 P/U; 07-19-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: a little info on the element
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Purdy Swoft

I don't use air filters of any kind on my model A. Even with the Air maze with screen wire you will still have some degree of air flow restriction, this will not only cause loss of pep and power but will also cause a rich fuel mix and cause dilution of the oil. Dilution of the oil will not save the engine but will cause early bearing failure. If using an air filter, smell the oil on the dip stick, you will smell the gas that is diluting it.

In my younger days many of us would remove the breather on our modern cars. With the breather removed you could feel an increase in power and hear the cool moan of the four barrel. Model A's don't have four barrels or moan but they are underpowered as compaired to modern cars and don't need any restriction in power, especially if there is a chance of oil dilution and shortened bearing life. I'm not a purist but Henry didn't think that an air breather was needed.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Tom,
Do you use any kind of air filter's on your "A's" ?
Does installing an air filter enrichen the mix. ? Just trying to decide. Thamks.
I don't have any filters on my cars, but my friend uses a long filter like Clyde's 31, which he bought from Snyder's. If I had to drive on some dirt roads, or lived by farms with the field dust, I'd want a filter.

I lived in El Paso for 2 1/2 years, while in the Army, and the last 6 months I rented a house off post. Once a month there would be a dust storm and no matter how tight you thought the house was, you'd have red fine dust all over the dishes in the cupboard, and on the bed sheets, in the closet, etc. I'd sure want a filter in those conditions.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #17
RcT

I'm guessing, that with the side pans originally mounted between the engine and frame, stones, birds small animals, insects and other such stuff was deflected from the intake; and, to keep the price down and keep it simple, if it wasn't needed, don't do it... and that was in the days of mostly dirt roads. Air filters, any kind, will restrict the air flow and make the mixture run rich.
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #18
Pepsi Mechanic

Wow .. a ton of good info ... Our Pepsi truck just does a few parades and car shows .. I had an air filter on but without realizing it , it plugged up from the inside with carbon and I thought the carb was at fault , when it was realy just the filter ... I think going filterless is my best option ..
Pepsi Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsi Mechanic View Post
Wow .. a ton of good info ... Our Pepsi truck just does a few parades and car shows .. I had an air filter on but without realizing it , it plugged up from the inside with carbon and I thought the carb was at fault , when it was realy just the filter ... I think going filterless is my best option ..

good choice
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Up, down, or sideways, you'll be sucking the same air. If you want to use a filter I'd use a balance tube. You should be able to connect the hole vent on the rear side (top center of bottom bowl) to the air filter. This will balance the air pressure on both sides of the mixture jets, so you don't enrichen the mix.

If you feel the need for a filter then the best bet is a balanced carb. Next thing if you don't want to modify your carb is to do a search on Fordbarn, there is a rather large (as compared to the airmaze) K&N filter that seems to be large enough to minimize the air restriction to the carb.