Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #21
eagle

Default Re: Preparing for the end.

One thing I think about, I love my "stuff" but its almost always for a sentimental reason. There are a lot of farm retirement auctions here, usually because of a retirement to the cemetery. Its sad to see it but its life. If possible, make plans to give the items that mean most to you to someone you know will love it too. If its all about the money you're probably in it for the wrong reasons.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #22
Mulletwagon

This prooved to be quite a thread ! Many good suggestions. I have noticed the best deals on classic cars - especially Model As - is often vehicles sold by widows who want them gone ASAP. My plan is to sell cars myself when I feel the time is right. I would much prefer to leave the family with $$ rather than stuff to unload by the fastest means.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #23
denis4x4

When we had our trust and wills made, the attorney set the wills up with q blank page along with instructions on how that page becomes a legal document. In as much as there are constant changes in car ownership, it’s easy to keep it current. Putting values in a will is folly in my opinion. Same with the clause that Model A’s can’t be sold to a hot rodder. Try that one on Judge Judy!
Old 11-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #24
ricconhan

Just take sticky notes and apply to the parts with a note to not sell for less than .....
Old 11-11-2021, 07:07 PM   #25
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
When we had our trust and wills made, the attorney set the wills up with q blank page along with instructions on how that page becomes a legal document. In as much as there are constant changes in car ownership, it’s easy to keep it current. Putting values in a will is folly in my opinion. Same with the clause that Model A’s can’t be sold to a hot rodder. Try that one on Judge Judy!
Amen brother.
Auto prices can be a moving target. Like many true Ford fans, much of the value we put in them is sentimental. Like others have noted, I have seen many an A being sold for way less than what many perceive it to be worth. Families that have little or no interest in the car/truck often let them go for a fraction of what we think it’s worth.

Tough decisions ahead for many of us......
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #26
Rodrelic

$hit, I realize I am nowhere on this now, thanks for the reality check. My daughter once asked me what my prewar A V8 was worth and answer is priceless. Sad son in law is clueless, cannot troubleshoot a lawnmower, etc….
Am just going to continue on making rods and hope to use up my parts and make good runners
Rodrelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:37 AM   #27
DKnapp

I decided to give my Model A's away before I reached the end. My kids grew up in the Model A hobby, so they had an interest in them. I gave my son a late '31 Station Wagon, one of my daughters a late '31 Cabriolet and am giving my oldest Grandson a '29 Business Coupe. However, I am only 84 and decided we still needed a Model A, so I bought a '28 Speedster. I liked the speedster so much that I decided to use up some of my parts and am now just finishing building another Speedster. My six grandchildren all love the speedsters, so now I've got the problem of who gets the speedsters. I hope I live long enough that this problem resolves itself.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:51 AM   #28
ronn

interesting how some of you resort to attorneys, wills and trusts. Not that Im saying its wrong, but are your valuables really that valuable? mine sure arent and the prices I set will be close enough to not have wasted $ on all of the fees and taxes some of you speak of. Perhaps there are many more rich people on this board then I realize..........?
yes rhetorical.

on another note, a few of you mention selling when the time is right. we dont always have that choice to make. Provided we are healthy that is fine. Have a major stroke or worse and how did that timing work out for you?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #29
Oldbluoval

Understand lawyers and fees but…..always a but!
One better understand exactly what happens dying with out a will. In most states all goes to a spouse. If you have no spouse better understand how the attribution rules are in your state. Also better have cash accounts as joint or pay on death. Otherwise, deemed heir could be in for a long haul in getting access to funds.
Various powers of attorney should be in place in case you can’t act for yourself.
Unfortunately it’s not that easy to disregard the system. Banks, courthouse, insurance and DMV can make life miserable!!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #30
Mike Peters

Our daughter once asked me what she is going to do with all my stuff, meaning cars, parts farm equipment, etc.
I told her to call the local auction company whom I trust, and they will come out, line it all up and sell it. She gets a check at the end of the day. Daughter liked this approach.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #31
jb-ob

I'm in agreement with Blue Oval, why are you convinced you will be the first to go ?? If not, what then ?

Assuming you are the first to pass, why is it your family & friend's responsibility to dispose of the 'stuff' YOU bought ? Maybe it's time YOU started to lighten the collection in satisfying directions of YOUR choice.

True story.

I was asked by the Grandson what would it cost to have his Grandfather's car pin striped. After giving the Grandson the price, he said he would have to 'consult' with the family. The agreement among the family members was that the Grandson could enjoy the car as long as he maintained it. Any expenses had to be agreed upon by the family.

Grandfather bought the car new in 1931 in LA and when he passed, in his will he left a stipend to cover continuing maintenance expenses of the Sport Coupe so as not to burden his heirs.

(Thought sure they would have liked Grandfather's initials painted on the car as well, but "O, No", that was something Grand Dad would never have wanted.)
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #32
Stretch Cab

Good morning everyone,

I was going to jump back in last night but thought I would let it run until this morning. I must say that you have given me a lot to think about and a lot to get started on.
I too had the idea of owning a car for each of the grandkids but the reality of that has set in that most of them would not want it or know what to do with it.

When my dad passed away he thought he was dividing up his cars fairly and gave me a 53 Chevy Convertible and a 31 Deluxe Rdst. My brother got a 34 Cabriolet. I personally don't think the deal was fair for my brother but he isn't a car guy and gave the Cabriolet to his son who took the rare dual side mount front fenders off, along with the rear to make a "Hiboy" out of it. He is to busy so the Cabriolet just sits in his garage.

I gave my son the 53 and because of the cost of new tires and lack of time it too just sits in the garage. I had given my daughter my 30 Rdst. PU but now have it back in my garage after her divorce. At least her x didn't force her to sell it. I had given it to them thinking that they would enjoy it but her husband wasn't into old cars.

I think from reading all of your thoughts that I am going to sit down with the kids after talking to my wife and form a plan for making sure the government doesn't get anything from the deal and my wife and kids are happy.

I know we need a trust as soon as possible so I will start working on that. I will also incorporate some of your other ideas as well. I love just sitting and looking at my cars, memorabilia and tools. I actually call my shop my museum. It is mostly memories that I have made over the years so kind of hard to pass those along. Whether I wind up selling it all and enjoying retirement a little more if/when that day comes or saving it for the kids will remain to be seen. I may have sufficient time to know what would be best for them but am going to prepare as if I don't. After all, it is only stuff!

Thanks so much for letting me put this topic out there. Each of your responses were valuable.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #33
77Birdman

Like them or not you need to consult an attorney and get a will. Things need to be spelled out. Let the lawyer know whom you want to have what. As far as parts that have been accumulated, get rid of all of that stuff now. Whether through sales or donations to clubs etc. If you dont plan on any more restorations keeping a bunch of stuff laying around is doing no one any favors. Keep the cars. May be over simplified but if you have a child that you want to have your car give it to them now. Transfer ownership but keep it in your possession until....Value means absolutely nothing at this point. Sticky notes, writing down on notebook paper, telling your best friend he can have such n such means ZIP at your demise. The courts will intervene. My wife works for an attorney and has seen this kind of situation way too many times. Unless its written in something that is legally binding it means nil.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #34
jb-ob

And may your last check bounce........
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #35
Roger V

Several people I respected discussed this at a National Meet around eight years ago. When the majority came up with a age that was about ten years away, I started selling my near-50 year collection of parts and Model A's. I kept two that my wife didn't want to sell. She thanked me for not leaving a big task. I did tell her previously to just have an auction as it wasn't going to change her lifestyle as you can do very well on somethings and very bad on others. I maintain a list of my cars with current values for which I update periodically. I also list a company that she can call to come get the cars for consignment. Like others, my children are not interested. Since my tools would have an interest by all kinds of people, I told her to have an auction company pick them up. We have had a will and a trust since we were young so that's covered.

Last edited by Roger V; 11-13-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:06 PM   #36
SHEC

Folks please consider this. Wills are good but don’t get your heirs out of Probate court.
Trusts do avoid Probate court.
Unless you have gone through the Probate process, then you truly may not know the extent of such a deal. Lotsa fun work (not), and a happy attorney on the other side. $$$$$$ in their pockets.
Wills are a reflection of the era of the Model A and maybe that is why many here only consider the will as a last stop. We thought of our family when we put together a family trust 25 years ago.

So perhaps the best solution is: drive the Fords all we want ( as I try to do) and sell a few things if that makes sense. Set up a trust and also have a will in place if you want to specify certain things to certain folks, and save the heirs more heartache when we exit the Ford road.
Just another thought about a not so fun topic - but a reality.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:19 PM   #37
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Cab View Post
Good morning everyone,

I was going to jump back in last night but thought I would let it run until this morning. I must say that you have given me a lot to think about and a lot to get started on.
I too had the idea of owning a car for each of the grandkids but the reality of that has set in that most of them would not want it or know what to do with it.

When my dad passed away he thought he was dividing up his cars fairly and gave me a 53 Chevy Convertible and a 31 Deluxe Rdst. My brother got a 34 Cabriolet. I personally don't think the deal was fair for my brother but he isn't a car guy and gave the Cabriolet to his son who took the rare dual side mount front fenders off, along with the rear to make a "Hiboy" out of it. He is to busy so the Cabriolet just sits in his garage.

I gave my son the 53 and because of the cost of new tires and lack of time it too just sits in the garage. I had given my daughter my 30 Rdst. PU but now have it back in my garage after her divorce. At least her x didn't force her to sell it. I had given it to them thinking that they would enjoy it but her husband wasn't into old cars.

I think from reading all of your thoughts that I am going to sit down with the kids after talking to my wife and form a plan for making sure the government doesn't get anything from the deal and my wife and kids are happy.

I know we need a trust as soon as possible so I will start working on that. I will also incorporate some of your other ideas as well. I love just sitting and looking at my cars, memorabilia and tools. I actually call my shop my museum. It is mostly memories that I have made over the years so kind of hard to pass those along. Whether I wind up selling it all and enjoying retirement a little more if/when that day comes or saving it for the kids will remain to be seen. I may have sufficient time to know what would be best for them but am going to prepare as if I don't. After all, it is only stuff!

Thanks so much for letting me put this topic out there. Each of your responses were valuable.
Thank you for this real world look at the discussion. I like what you and many other thoughtful and knowledgeable folks have shared. With my A , I have jokingly told my son to set me in it and make it my funeral pyre as I know I am the sentimental keeper of the family Ford, with now one else to follow so far. Sick joke to some, perhaps - but sadly may ring true.
Congratulations on a real discussion with your loved ones. Good luck with the trust.
All the best ✔️🇺🇸
Old 11-12-2021, 05:04 PM   #38
Keith True

There is a T buried about 3 miles from me,just outside the cemetery fence.A couple got married,neither had ever been married and were getting along in age.They bought a new T,and drove it to Niagra Falls.They had kept the T,and when the wife died the husband wanted the T to be buried with them.He was told there was no room for a car,but was told he could bury it outside the fence. The man that told me the story was the one who dug the hole.He got $3.to do it,and another $3.to drag the car to the site and place it with his team.I can't remember if he told me it happened before he went off to war,or just after.A friend was knocking a driveway in next to the cemetery,and I told him about the car buried there.He later told me that he struck iron about a foot down,and normally he would have ripped it out,but knowing about the car he just broke off what he needed to to get a driveway in there.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #39
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
There is a T buried about 3 miles from me,just outside the cemetery fence.A couple got married,neither had ever been married and were getting along in age.They bought a new T,and drove it to Niagra Falls.They had kept the T,and when the wife died the husband wanted the T to be buried with them.He was told there was no room for a car,but was told he could bury it outside the fence. The man that told me the story was the one who dug the hole.He got $3.to do it,and another $3.to drag the car to the site and place it with his team.I can't remember if he told me it happened before he went off to war,or just after.A friend was knocking a driveway in next to the cemetery,and I told him about the car buried there.He later told me that he struck iron about a foot down,and normally he would have ripped it out,but knowing about the car he just broke off what he needed to to get a driveway in there.
Further proof that truth is stranger than fiction. So, was he buried with his wife or in the T?
Old 11-12-2021, 07:55 PM   #40
Keith True

They are buried side by side in the cemetery next to the fence,with the car about 8 feet away.I really wish I had gotten more information from the farmer that dug the hole and buried the car.I have no idea what year the T was,but was told the couple bought it new when they got married.My mother is the cemetary historian in town,she will have the ages and dates of death recorded.I thought she knew the whole story,turns out she only knew the basic facts.She didn't know who did the job,and she knew him well,she could have asked him at any time.If he was alive he would be 101 now.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote