Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Model A Trailer Hitches?

Because my wood framed 1930 Briggs Town Sedan has a metal trunk which protrudes rearwards of the right & left bumpers, has the spare tire in the passenger's side fender well, (as opposed to being mounted on the rear), I was always extremely concerned and thought often of what "could" possibly happen to members of my family sitting in the rear seat, (with already installed seat belts), if I was ever rear ended.

A few minutes ago I left work & went to the grocery. When stopped at a red light, I noticed no cars behind me, so while stopped, I was looking downward changing radio stations, when all of sudden, "BAM". My van was in Drive, foot on the brake, and I slid forward about (1) or (2) feet.

Saw the guy behind me getting out of his pick-up truck, wobbling all over, so I got out of my van. His front bumper hit my trailer hitch, whereby my Van was undamaged, but his front bumper was smashed in.

He says, "you don't have damage, only my bumper is dented, let's just keep rolling." He smelled like a brewery, all glassy eyed, and could hardly speak. No cars around, got in my Van and drove off.

Appears the priority for installing a protruding Model A trailer hitch now has a priority number that moved a little closer to (1).

Could have been worse ...... just something for all of us to maybe think about after looking at our different body styles of Model As with either a rear seat or rumble seat carrying our love ones.

Maybe nothing too Model A informative or helpful; but we all hurt when other Forum members sometimes get in life threatening accidents.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Model A Trailer Hitches?

This could restart the discussion about brighter lights. In your case, I don't believe they would have made the slightest difference.
I too have wondered about rear end collision protection in my A and I have a tow bar on my Phaeton. The urgency is not so high for me as I VERY rarely carry any rear seat passengers. Of greater concern to me is the lack of head restraints to prevent whiplash injury in the event of a rear ender.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Make sure you get under and look at your frame for any kinks where the hitch assy bolts up.. The outer appearance could look fine..
That guy wouldn't have driven away if it was me, he would have been put in back of a squad car for obvious reasons..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 10-21-2016 at 06:07 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
ronn

well glad you were alright HL..............

always a good thing!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Make sure you get under and look at your frame for any kinks where the hitch assy bolts up.. The outer appearance could look fine..
That guy wouldn't have driven away if it was me, he would have been put in back of a squad car for obvious reasons..
Absolutely! It's bad enough with all the people eating, putting on makeup, texting, turning around to talk to people in the back seat, etc. without letting drunks get off scott free.

The other day a woman in Minnesota that was texting and killed a guy, while he was getting his mail, got only 4 days in jail and 40 hours of community service.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
Synchro909

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The other day a woman in Minnesota that was texting and killed a guy, while he was getting his mail, got only 4 days in jail and 40 hours of community service. [/QUOTE]

Wonder he would have got if it were a relative of the judge that he killed.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Per no. 3 ....... agree ..... calling a squad car used to sound good; but, with so little time to spare while still working all alone in my office, this is what I see every day that should also be reported every day:

Our fire zones marked with red curbs in front of our store entrances are loaded with illegally parked cars for shoppers who do not want to walk far; same for accessible parking spaces loaded with illegally parked cars; blinking car lights I witness often late every night in different parking lots with drug dealers doing drug deals; people forever cutting in line at movies in urban areas; grown ups waiting at movie exits for exit doors to open so they can sneak in; picking up a box of fried chicken to eat while shopping and throwing the empty chicken box on top of the apples & not paying for it; plus ... on TV, watching gangs getting by with "legally" throwing bricks at policemen ..... if I reported everything I observe every day ....... I would live in court as a witness only to see criminals set free because the jails are full.

Singing "America" today? ...... pay attention to the beautiful words while watching rocks thrown.

Model A trailer hitch is next .......... if I can find time. LOL
Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
CHuDWah

I wonder if momentum would cause a rumble seat to close in the event of a crash? Probably more likely in a head-on than a rear-end collision, but not healthy for passengers in either case.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
CarlG

In my 2004 Explorer, I had 2 rear-enders only about a month apart. Trailer hitch saved the day for me in both cases. I did have some minor damages, but both times the car that hit me was totaled.

I have this hitch installed on my '31 Pickup. Not sure how much this would help in that situation on a Model A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer Hitch.JPG (159.9 KB, 74 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Fairly long ago someone posted a photo of a either square back Town Sedan, Tudor, or other similar body style Model A that was hit from the rear ...... it was most scary to see how much of the rear was crushed inwards towards the front.

If someone rear ends a 1930 Briggs Town Sedan like mine, he crushes fragile wood framing and thin sheet metal all the way up to the rear cross member over the rear spring. Also the two side channel parts of the chassis terminate at this same rear cross member.

This crushing effect from the rear if rear ended would extend forward to about midway of the rear seat cushion.

Not trying to scare anyone; just trying to make Model A owners aware that these un-altered original Model A bodies are not at all similar to more modern impact resistant cars ..... cautious defensive driving is really intelligent driving.

Many can imagine that well anchored steel sticking out of a wood frame Model A body can offer increased rear end impact protection.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Hell yea, what if you heard on the news later that day that a driver of the pickup drove the wrong way and had a head on killing all aboard the other car.

It is my belief that you goofed and you need to thank your luck stars that someone was not later killed by him.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...412-story.html
Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #12
ian Simpson

If the police had been at the scene of such an accident in my neck of the woods - the drunk would have been jailed (at least overnight) and Mr. Chauvin would have been ticketed if he had a removable hitch in the mount.

Mounted hitches negate the positive effects of modern crushable bumpers and can contribute to personal injury. Too bad about us folks with the collector cars
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Mike V,

Without knowing all of the circumstances involved today when it happened, your reckless judgement & belief that I goofed are yours, and yours alone.

After all of my experiences in my past life, which I never discuss on this Forum, I am really immune to such a comment and think I can still be your friend.

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Henry. In my opinion the police should have been called. Maybe the next car he hits will result in a casualty with one or several people being killed. That type of person belongs in jail not behind the wheel of a lethal weapon. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote