Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Paul in Colorado

Default Signal Stat 900 Modification

I have a Signal Stat 900 7 wire turn signal switch on my 1930 Town Sedan, using the cowl lights as front turn signals. In How to Restore your Model A, Volume 5, there is an article indicating that an eighth wire can be added to the switch to also allow the cowl lights to be used as parking lights. This can be done with a single filament bulb. Does anyone have a diagram showing the internal configuration of this switch and showing how this red/green wire is connected inside the switch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Signal Stat 900 Modification

I just installed one yesterday in mine (replaced another kind that has given me nothing but trouble). directions out in the shed, will ck in the AM for you, but this one only had 7 wires and of course color coded diff than the one I removed.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Paul in Colorado

Thanks for your reply. I have the hookup information for the seven wire unit. What I need is the information to add the eighth wire for using the cowl lights as parking lights also.

Paul
Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
CarlG

It seemed like the unit I bought from Sacramento Vintage was wired to do that. You might check with their tech support guy.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #5
BillLee/Chandler, TX

It would probably be simpler to change to a 2-filament socket in the cowl light and keep the park light separate from the turn signal light.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

I just ck'd install instr and wiring dia that came with my sw. Only 7 wires. Idon't understand how you would be able to get cowl lights to light from the SIGNAL LIGHT sw. As BillLee says change to a 2 filament socket in cowl lights and have them work as originally intentioned. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Paul in Colorado

In How to Restore your Model A, Volume 5, there is an article indicating that an eighth wire can be added to the switch to also allow the cowl lights to be used as parking lights. This can be done with a single filament bulb. I already have turn signals installed with a Signal Stat 900 switch, and I do not want to buy a new switch with the eighth wire. I do not want to change the cowl lights to a two filament bulb if I can accomplish the same thing by adding a single wire to the switch. The article was written by Victor Duncan of Dallas Texas. It does not show how the wire is added. This is the information I am looking for.

Paul
Old 11-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #8
redmodelt

So what you are after is just like the rear brake lights, only with the lamps staying on when the head lights are on, or when there is power to the cowl lamps. I would guess that you would have to route the cowl light wire to the turn signal switch and wire it just like the brake circuit.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Kirby1374

If the switch is made to allow that provision there should be an extra solder point on the wiring board in the switch. So as redmodelt suggested; it should be a matter of soldering another wire. If there is another unused solder point, try temporally adding a constant power source to that point and see what lights up.
Kirby1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Ice man

I did mine yrs back and had single filiment bulbs (cowl Lamp) and the thy worked for both, but don't remember an eighth wire. You need 4 wires to each light, one for power, one for the cowl lamp and one for the brake lamp. The canceling feature is built in to the switch so with the cowl lamp on and you hitting the brakes and the turn signal on, it cancels each and lets them flash. Can't imagine what an eighth wire would do. I just installed a kit from Snyders that just a simple switch the I installed at the bottom of the dash that has 2 extra gauges for oil and temp. The sw was put between both and very handy to turn off when shifting, cause the buzzer is loud but very effective. LOL Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
Paul in Colorado

According to the article, the switch is made to allow the addition of another wire from the parking light circuit to points on the circuit board. The parking lights would operate similar to the brake lights. I am trying to find the internal configuration of the switch, and where to connect the wire. I would like to find this out before I remove the switch from the car, to make sure it can be done.

Paul
Old 11-16-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Bruce Adams

Just a thought.
I enjoy using my cowl lights as turn signals while I use the dual lamp parking light in the bucket often, like night parades and such since the bulb makes the entire headlamp bright, looking to others like the head lamps are on, though of no value to light the road.
They are much more visible at dusk than the small cowl lights as parking lights.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #13
Peteva

Here's how to add the 8th wire to the Signal-Stat 900 turn signal switch.

Remove the bottom cover (two screws). You will find 2 rows of 4 tubular rivits with wires soldered to them except for two. The two will be centered in the bottom row. Solder a wire across these two rivits connecting them together and then bring the wire out for the 8th wire and mark it red-green. This wire then connects to the wire from the headlight switch for the cowl lights. The two original wires red and green should be already connected to the cowl lights. Now when the turn signal switch is off and the headlight switch is in the parking light position both cowl lights will be lit. When the TS switch is on then a cowl light will begin flashing.

This is much better than trying to alter the sockets and bulbs in the cowl lights as there is not much room in there. My switch is old and the new ones may be a little different inside but you should be able to figure it out.

I have a wiring diagram I could send you but haven't figured out yet how to scan it to the Barn. Hope the above helps you.
Peteva
Peteva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #14
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Just a thought.
I enjoy using my cowl lights as turn signals while I use the dual lamp parking light in the bucket often, like night parades and such since the bulb makes the entire headlamp bright, looking to others like the head lamps are on, though of no value to light the road.
They are much more visible at dusk than the small cowl lights as parking lights.
Hi Bruce, that's the way I have my roadster set up and I agree. I also have separate lights for the rear mounted to the back of the body. That makes the turn signal circuit a single circuit on it's own.
Good seeing you in the tent at Hershey. Barry B.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Paul in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteva View Post
Here's how to add the 8th wire to the Signal-Stat 900 turn signal switch.

Remove the bottom cover (two screws). You will find 2 rows of 4 tubular rivits with wires soldered to them except for two. The two will be centered in the bottom row. Solder a wire across these two rivits connecting them together and then bring the wire out for the 8th wire and mark it red-green. This wire then connects to the wire from the headlight switch for the cowl lights. The two original wires red and green should be already connected to the cowl lights. Now when the turn signal switch is off and the headlight switch is in the parking light position both cowl lights will be lit. When the TS switch is on then a cowl light will begin flashing.

This is much better than trying to alter the sockets and bulbs in the cowl lights as there is not much room in there. My switch is old and the new ones may be a little different inside but you should be able to figure it out.

I have a wiring diagram I could send you but haven't figured out yet how to scan it to the Barn. Hope the above helps you.
Peteva
Finally! This is the information I was looking for. I should be able to work it out from there. Thanks, Peteva.

Paul
Old 11-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #16
lboynton

Paul, 10 years ago you were looking for a wiring diagram using a Signal Stat switch to use the side lamps. You need to make it an eight wire switch. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1604525467
That is the wiring diagram for the conversion.

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Signal stat with cowl lights..jpg (29.1 KB, 107 views)
lboynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
CarlG

I bought my Signal Stat 900 from Sacramento Vintage Ford and it came wired to use the cowl lights for front turn signals.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote