Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
H. L. Chauvin

Default Vacuum Cleaner Fuel Tank Explosion - Not Model A

Oldest son just called me a few minutes ago.

An acquaintance of his accidentally put diesel in his empty gas powered riding lawn mower.

When he realized his mistake, because it was diesel in lieu of gasoline, he tried to suck it out with a Sears Shop Vac even though he was warned not to do it.

The gas tank on his riding lawn mower with diesel immediately exploded, and he barely got out of his barn before the entire barn was on fire & burned to the ground. He lost his barn and a Lean-To; his four wheeler, a large diesel tractor, a vacuum cleaner, and his gas riding lawn mower.

Luckily he was taken to the hospital almost naked with minor burns.

Pardon the not Model A bit; but please, let us never forget that we can never be too cautious when dealing with "any" type of fuel in "any" fuel tank.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-25-2016 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Vacuum Cleaner Fuel Tank Explosion - Not Model A

Thanks Henry. I'm sorry for your son's misfortune. It's always wise to "follow the instructions on the can." Or package, or tool, or...

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Heh Henry. Not accidental if he was warned. Another word for it....stupid! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ray,

It was not my son; but, a guy we both know about 5 miles down the road. I may see him tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

DAMN!... Glad he's OK.

When you see him, give him a slap on the side of the head for us...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:09 AM   #6
40 Deluxe

Maybe this why Ford put that spark arrester in the filler opening??
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Big hammer

Wow! Thanks for posting that. Before entering fuel tanks at work, the work card said to vacuum out the tank, but not with an electrical vacuum, we had air powered vacuums. One time some @&$# was about to plug in a electrical vacuum before someone stopped him! The stuff can be replaced, hope his burns heal.
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #8
Jerry in Shasta

Had a friend that tried to vacuum up some gas with a tank type vacuum cleaner.
Wittness said it took off like a rocket with a ten foot behind it, straight across the street into the neighbors garage
Vacuum cleaner was totaled as was the garage.
JB
Old 05-26-2016, 09:49 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Still difficult to believe this part of the event; but, this guy told my son that when the fuel tank exploded, it was so violent, that it completely ripped his trousers off of him.

I never thought of it like this ..... but at least he has an excuse as to why he did not crap in his pants.

But then again .......... who knows what happened first ....... the violent crap ..... or his pants blown off ...... might see him tonight.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Still difficult to believe this part of the event; but, this guy told my son that when the fuel tank exploded, it was so violent, that it completely ripped his trousers off of him.

I never thought of it like this ..... but at least he has an excuse as to why he did not crap in his pants.

But then again .......... who knows what happened first ....... the violent crap ..... or his pants blown off ...... might see him tonight.

Naturally without seeing all the contributing factors, anything we think/say is purely speculative but a couple of things that does cause me to want to ask more questions.

If the lawn tractor's gas tank was empty and diesel was added, that typically would have killed the volatile gasoline fumes left inside the tank. Next, I was thinking most wet/dry vacuums of the past 4-5 years have gone to brushless motors. Maybe I was mislead but I was thinking a brushless motor was not supposed to produce a spark. Does anyone know more on this? Generally speaking, I thought diesel fuel really did not explode as the fumes were too heavy. Maybe the diesel he put in the tank was really gasoline after all?? Nonetheless, I hate that it happened to your friend, and I sure wish him a speedy & pain-free recovery!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

I know the very knowledgeable and professional heavy industrial mechanic guy who "emphatically" warned him not to try his vacuum cleaner with "diesel"; i.e., his present employee.

He may know more details of what happened ...... I might see him tonight .... and for anyone's safety's sake, add a reply.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #12
Roadster Rich

Wow, brings back horrible memories. 17 years ago, I came home from work and my 15 year old son told me that he dropped a ladder on a 5 gallon gas can and split a crack in it. The gas was leaking all over the garage, but he cleaned it up. I went into the garage and found a 5 gallon sears shop vac sitting there with about 2.5 gallons of gas in the vac. How he didn't kill himself I will never know but will always be thankful to God for that.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #13
Model A Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Naturally without seeing all the contributing factors, anything we think/say is purely speculative but a couple of things that does cause me to want to ask more questions.

If the lawn tractor's gas tank was empty and diesel was added, that typically would have killed the volatile gasoline fumes left inside the tank. Next, I was thinking most wet/dry vacuums of the past 4-5 years have gone to brushless motors. Maybe I was mislead but I was thinking a brushless motor was not supposed to produce a spark. Does anyone know more on this? Generally speaking, I thought diesel fuel really did not explode as the fumes were too heavy. Maybe the diesel he put in the tank was really gasoline after all?? Nonetheless, I hate that it happened to your friend, and I sure wish him a speedy & pain-free recovery!!
Maybe he was using a "vintage" shop vac...you know, something someone with an appreciation for old things might use
Model A Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
jrelliott

They let these people vote and propagate. Think he should be given one of the Darwin awards that are published each year in "Machine Design". Hate to be sarcastic, but people need to have some common sense.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #15
ursus

Yipes!! Years ago, I had a similar experience with one of the older shop vacs that allowed the hose to be fitted to either intake or exhaust port. I had a carb soaking in acetone and intended to use the exhaust port to blow the acetone out. I failed to notice that the hose had been left in the intake port and when I hit the switch there was a loud explosion that split the seam on the canister and left me standing in a cloud of dust. Had it been gasoline I might not be writing this here today.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

Life's Experiences:

In every profession and in every hobby it is just as important to learn what "NOT" to do as it is to learn what to do.

About (47) years ago, I started a vintage hopper cooled single cylinder diesel engine, (maybe 5 H.P.) mounted on a 4" x 4" wood frame. This engine started bouncing and moving sideways as it ran. This engine was brought to us at a very primitive foreign water supply plant; hence there was a full, unopened barrel of powdered chlorine nearby.

When this un-grounded engine reached the barrel of powdered chlorine, I saw about a 16" long spark extend from the engine's rotating hand-cranked flywheel's crankshaft to the barrel of chlorine.

Maybe (1) minute later, the top of the chlorine barrel lifted ....... the powder started bubbling vigorously ....... after about (2) minutes, dense solid white chlorine gas was coming out of the barrel as the wind carried it in the opposite direction.

In taking a chance, I poured lots of water in the barrel until the bubbling and white smoke stopped.

One never knows ...... with static electricity .... then, it could have been a barrel of gasoline or jet fuel ....... nobody was injured.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:41 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Short version of a detailed very sad story:

Went to visit this, (little younger than me), military Vietnam Veteran friend and very wealthy property owner who had one side of his face and nose burned to a medium dark brown and covered with some type of medical hospital cream ..... did not ask about burns on the rest of his body; and when asked, poor soul said he was not in as much pain as right after it happened last Sunday.

He had instructed a friend to add diesel and gas fuel to his many lawn implement fuel tanks used in conjunction with his (12) or so acre richly landscaped family park type property with two bass ponds; however, this friend mistakably added diesel fuel to the tank of a gas engine; so when the owner went to cut grass, in checking fuel level, he noticed his gas lawn mower was filled with diesel.

After calling, a young customer petroleum plant worker friend, this young friend advised him to use a vacuum cleaner to extract the diesel ..... however, his older business employee "emphatically" cautioned not to do it.

Anyway, unknown to the young petroleum plant adviser, the vacuum cleaner was an old "sparking" vintage model vacuum cleaner ...... in lieu of the modern "sparkless" type vacuum cleaner.

He said everything started out well and was working fine while removing fuel until all of a sudden ...... BIG BANG !!!!!!

The Shop Vac violently exploded throwing "flaming" diesel mixed with gasoline everywhere under a wood structured Lean-To enclosure; and, the Lean-To was attached to his full service guest house.

In a matter of minutes he said he lost six (6) expensive riding lawn mowers, a (4) wheeler, a fairly new $70,000.00 diesel tractor, a Lean-To shed, and a fully equipped guest house that all burned to the ground ............... plus .... his vintage vacuum cleaner.

He said he felt like it was a miracle that he survived and that it was a miracle that nobody was in his guest house which is usually occupied.

Not a Model A experience ....... and this did not make CNN, NBC, or Fox News ....... but sometimes, we may need reminders that internal combustion engine and fuel safety can never be overly stressed to try to protect lives of our love ones and our property.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:07 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Thanks, Mr. Chauvin! It scares me to think of all the times and ways I've misused gasoline over the years and seen others misuse it! At my first job as a mechanic in the mid-60's, parts were washed in gasoline siphoned from customers' cars into an open 5 gallon bucket. The head mechanic said just wash something oily right away as the oil would kill the gas fumes so no problem. Somehow, nobody ever burned the shop down! At the shop I retired from 1 1/2 years ago, there were safety signs all over. My favorite was "Expect the unexpected!"
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:00 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Thanks, Mr. Chauvin! It scares me to think of all the times and ways I've misused gasoline over the years and seen others misuse it! At my first job as a mechanic in the mid-60's, parts were washed in gasoline siphoned from customers' cars into an open 5 gallon bucket. The head mechanic said just wash something oily right away as the oil would kill the gas fumes so no problem. Somehow, nobody ever burned the shop down! At the shop I retired from 1 1/2 years ago, there were safety signs all over. My favorite was "Expect the unexpected!"
What was once standard operating procedure is down right scary today!
Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
H. L. Chauvin

To add to this "accident", this same guy pumped and sold gasoline all of his life in front of his old family owned business which dated back to the 1920's.

About a year ago, he quit selling gasoline in front of his business place ..... he had his old "leaking" underground gas storage tanks and pumps removed.

He could even be labeled as a good "Model A owner" friend ....... he heard and experienced so many complaints about 10% ethanol gasoline .............. he only sold "non-ethanol" gasoline.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #21
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrelliott View Post
They let these people vote and propagate. Think he should be given one of the Darwin awards that are published each year in "Machine Design". Hate to be sarcastic, but people need to have some common sense.
Unfortuately as the saying goes "Common sense ain't so common..."

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-27-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Jet aircraft run on a fuel similar to diesel just a Hi Grade Kerosene and it is as explosive pound per pound as dynamite under the right conditions.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #23
Classiccanuck

seriously??!! how do you come up this an idea like that??!! hope for a speedy recovery.
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

Just for personal Model A safety's sake; Darwin Awards can be amusing; however, as a reminder:

1. With Model A's, we all work around highly volatile gasoline; and,

2. Especially with our obsolete, constant flow, Model A gravity type fuel system, as opposed to our modern fuel pumps, which cut off with the ignition switch; hence,

3. We can often experience constant tank shut-off valve leaks and carburetor leaks from vintage updraft carburetors; plus, quite a few hundred Forum complaints about leaking, smelling gasoline in our garages; and furthermore,

4. One thing to consider is, it is human nature to begin to become complacent when around dangerous material and equipment; for example,

5. In visiting several large cabinet making shops, it is easy to find senior "experienced" wood workers with missing fingers; and,

6. In checking same, our gunpowder factories usually lose "experienced" workers in explosive cartridge accidents; and,

7. "Experienced" Air Force pilots are not exempt from bombing friendly forces; and,

8. Many battlefield casualties are often caused by "experienced" senior soldiers.

Appears many of us daring, experimental individuals could agree, that now as seniors, many of us could have won a few "Darwin Awards" in our lifetime "if" we were "honest" enough to admit it. But who wants a Darwin Medal?
Old 05-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #25
chl

one night years ago my son came home with the fuel pump leaking badly on his camaro, I told him to not start that car for any reason.I left in the morning to go another property we own and he called the garage,they told him to drive over. By the the time I got to where I was going the fire whistle was blowing and I had a real bad feeling.I rushed to find the car a total loss. enough said.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #26
freak

I work at a machine shop and we had a shop vac that was full of debris plus aluminum shavings. Then the janitor took it and sucked out a toilet that will filled with muriatic acid to unclog it. The acid and alum reacts to for hydrogen gas which exploded from the motor sparks. The top blew off the vac hitting the janitor in the chest pretty good but didn't injure him. Scared him good though.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #27
Clem Clement

My late uncle taught me most of what I know. I went to him with my 54Merc that leaked gas when the tank was full. We dropped the tank and found a terry cloth rag between the tank and the floor pan. He had me wash the tank out 3 times with the hose, drying each time in the sun. Then he dropped a match inside the tank. The tank went POP and he said now it is safe to solder new metal over the holes(coffee can sides.) Golly I miss him
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #28
J Wade

I had a renter in one of my houses that walked around at night with a hose and a gas can and stole gas and poured it into a tank in the garage. He sold it to his friends and that's how he paid his rent. One morning he turned on a flashlight to check his supply and blew up the garage, however he was unharmed. In fact I didn't see him for 3 days.
Then I evicted him.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:30 AM   #29
H. L. Chauvin

The guy mentioned above, whose vacuum cleaner exploded and guest house burned, told me he had a crazy customer who would gas up in his 1960's or so pickup truck, leave the gas cap off, light a match which would produce a flame at the tank opening, and drive off .....
Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #30
daren007

We had a "Mechanic" vacuum avfuel from a airplane tank. I was told there were flames shooting from the vacuum cleaner. Amazingly nothing happened. This started a joke that this particular individual just reinvented the jet engine.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote