Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Peteva

Default Need spring for door latch return 1940 conv.

Looking for a upper door latch return spring for a '40 conv. Understand that the spring for the conv. is different than for the closed cars and is the same for both '39 & '40 open cars. The cross section of the wire has to be 1/8" X 1/16" or it won't work.

I was glad I was home when the spring broke. It would have been hard to steer, work the clutch, shift, hold the door and try not to fall out all at the same time.

Am going to try to attach a picture of the spring. Thanks to all for any help in trying to find another spring.

Peteva
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.jpg (38.9 KB, 22 views)
Peteva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Clem Clement

Default Re: Need spring for door latch return 1940 conv.

They are coded by color. Several sizes have been reproduced.

I learned from the Barn that to install the spring wind the inside tight with needle nose plyers and camp it with vise grips. Slide it in place easily. Use safety glasses as that spring likes to fly.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:58 AM   #3
PeteVS

They're in Roy Nacewitz's catalog, on page 49.

http://www.fordscript.com/ford_bolts...8FORDBOLTS.pdf
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Peteva

Thanks for the replies. The two that Roy shows in his catalog won't work but then he doesn't identify them for the 40. I'll call him tomorrow.
I have already tried 3 including a yellow one from Drake and they won't work. The wire is too wide being 3/16 X 1/16 rather than 1/8 X 1/16.
This makes the spring too wide to fit down in the narrow slot where it has to go to push on the latch.
Peteva.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteva View Post
Thanks for the replies. The two that Roy shows in his catalog won't work but then he doesn't identify them for the 40. I'll call him tomorrow.
I have already tried 3 including a yellow one from Drake and they won't work. The wire is too wide being 3/16 X 1/16 rather than 1/8 X 1/16.
This makes the spring too wide to fit down in the narrow slot where it has to go to push on the latch.
Peteva.
You are correct in that the convertible utilizes different springs than the closed cars in 1940. I laugh each and every time I see ads that state ALL models.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
russcc

Check with Ray Helgers in RI 401 635 4849. He may have NOS or good used ones. Ron at Dennis Carpenter NOS, or maybe Fred at SS.O Fred & Ron would go likely go by the original Ford part number if someone on Fordbarn can give it to you. I would buy repop stuff as a last resort.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
B-O-B

I'd be inclined to grind down the spring you have & give it a try. Being careful to not get it too hot. Secure it & use a 4" grinder . Shouldn't take much. What can you loose, you already have the spring & the door apart.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Peteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
You are correct in that the convertible utilizes different springs than the closed cars in 1940. I laugh each and every time I see ads that state ALL models.
Kube,
I'm still looking for a 1940 conv door latch return upper spring. You saw my request dated 7/6/14 on the Ford Barn forum. Do you have any ideas where I may find one? I think I can put it in if I can find a spring. I met you at the Charlotte race track 3 or 4 years ago. My car is garnet maroon and you judged it. Thanks for your help. Ron [email protected]

Last edited by Peteva; 07-31-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: eliminate address due to errors
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteva View Post
Kube,
I'm still looking for a 1940 conv door latch return upper spring. You saw my request dated 7/6/14 on the Ford Barn forum. Do you have any ideas where I may find one? I think I can put it in if I can find a spring. I met you at the Charlotte race track 3 or 4 years ago. My car is garnet maroon and you judged it. Thanks for your help. Ron Peterson, Roanoke VA. rlpppeterson@netzero .net.
Ron, I have yet to find a source for those springs. In fact, I have had to modify other (application) springs in the past when restoring 40 convertibles.
Sorry...
Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #10
TagMan

I went through a box of unidentified door springs I have and one of them looks identical to yours, but the overall length is 1.900" and the thickness is .084" (measurements by calipers). The width is .125" (1/8').
If you measured using a scale, is there a chance your figures could be off a bit?

TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Peteva

Bob, The spring you show is very close. The tang sticking out is a little different but the wire size is right on. It may work. If you prefer my email address is in another message to Kube under this same series and I can send you a check.
Thanks for looking and for your reply.
Ron
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
Gary in La.

Looking at my spring charts from "Au - ve - co" products it looks very much like their # 1252 which also is color coded Black. My charts only go up to 1939 so I can't be sure. The 1252 was widely used on Chrysler products and Ford 1935-36 closed cars. If the other spring doesn't work you can maybe find someone who has a supply of this co products. I don't have it with my stuff. Hope this helps.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Pat/Ohio

Ron, I checked what I have against the picture above and found nothing like it. Sorry it took me so long to check. Good luck to you....Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #14
flatmotor40

I think Drake has the repop hinges so call them to get right spring.Had the same problem with mine when I did mine a few years ago but lucky found a total junk 40 conv and got the springs out of it.Got the ones from all the vendors that said they would fit but didn't so I had a few of the coupes laying around now got rid of all of them.Why Henry did that is beyond me.Looks like they could ahve used the same in all hinges that year
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
Kurt in NJ

I have a 36 conv sedan, and the 40 conv uses similar latches, I bought some sedan latches to rob for parts to rebuild the originals, I think the sedan latches are 35-39, and some Dodges ---then I bought NOS latches, one of them had a missing spring, a sedan latch gave up the spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0154.JPG (169.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0155.JPG (157.1 KB, 13 views)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
supereal

Convertible body parts are different from the closed cars because the bodies were not Ford-built. Latches and window regulators don't interchange, either. When I restored my '47 convertible, the "treasure hunt" for necessary parts took more than a year. Ragtops were low production models, and very many lost out to weather, reducing the junkyard resources. If you do locate such parts, prepare to pay a premium.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote