Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #1
thirt4

Default Who sells CORRECT rubber seals

I am looking for an American retailer that sells the CORRECT fit rubber seals. Today, I tried to put my new cowl vent seal on my 1934 and that is when I discovered that it is fits a 1935-36 Ford truck.
I contacted the retailer and they said that is all they sell and to look in their catalog. So together we looked in their catalog while on the phone and I read it to them - 1933-34 Ford pass. Does not fit. Fits 1935-36 Ford truck.
I was torqued. I explained to the no-caring voice at the other end that they can drop the part about the 1933-34 car as some of us old B--tards can't read that hot.
She said to try Hemmings as if they would sell any.
Anyway, I looked on ePay and they too offer that "correct" cowl vent until reading the descriptions and all that I can find, Vintique, Moss (same as Vintique), C&G, etc. all have that same funky description.
WHO actually sells the CORRECT rubber cowl vent gasket / seal JUST FOR the 1933-34 Ford closed cars????
I guess I can always weld it shut or use silicone as a gasket.
I am sure I will hit the same problems for my rumble lid, the doors, widows, etc. Are their any "real" rubber seal makers out there anymore?
Thank you.

thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Who sells CORRECT rubber seals

Bob Drake Reproductions or Dennis Carpenter
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Lawson Cox

The cowl vent, and hence the cowl vent seal, for 34 passenger cars is the same as 35-36 Ford pickups. Same part number. All of the repos are slightly too thick. So, calm down and work on that restoration. lol

For what it is worth, I have a 34 passenger car cowl vent seal on my 35 pickup. Fits like a glove.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 10-17-2013 at 02:07 AM.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
Mart

I ordered the Vintique gasket from C&G. It fit my 33 perfectly. I took the precaution of scraping off the raised part numbers and other writing off the underside before gluing it in. I may be very slightly too thick, but until you mentioned it, I was very happy with it. I suppose it will settle in over time.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
DICK SPADARO

1933/34 FORD cowl vent gasket is the same as 1935/6 pickup truck. There are about 3 different versions or more over the years. Since you did not identify the brand Mfg. it is hard to determine what your issue may be but if you were sold a 1933/34 cowl vent gasket most all brands fit the perimeter but vary in thickness. The gasket does not go on the bottom of the lid it installs in the cowl gutter and the compression is determined by adjusting the cowl vent lid attachment screws.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Ken Bull

Ditto Dick Spadaro and dont get TOO upset if it leaks in heavy rain no matter what. Imagine on the production line... they did everything in 4 min. or less...hard to believe!
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Mike51Merc

Sounds like the OP has some 'splainin" to do.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
bluardun

I believe Vintique, Drake, and Carpenter all make their rubber cowl vent gaskets in the USA.
Please don't take this as an insult, but from the 'ol school of hard knocks. The gasket won't fit property if installed upside down. I know; I did it (once).
The rounded, molded side goes into the cowl channel. The side you might concider unfinished, flat, faces up.
As mentioned above; the new gasket will be thicker than the old one, and might require adjusting the cowl vent lid.
Great hobby.
Have fun
Bill Herbert
bluardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
35cab

Please don't weld it shut, I assume that is just frustration talking. The one I got from Macs was as mentioned a bit on the thick side but adjusting the mechanism helped compress it and after a couple of years it is a better fit.
Still leaks in heavy rain though, but maybe they always did!
My experience that seals from a variety of suppliers and manufacturers vary, from excellent to poor but with a bit of fiddling around they can be better than the dried up crusty originals I started with.
35cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
DavidG

Sometimes all the adjustment available isn't enough. More than once I have had to slice one like a loaf a bread into two cowl vent gaskets (only one of which is usable). The problem with most of the reproductions is not just their thickness but density of the rubber. When they're too dense, all of the adjustment (and added pressure by temorarily adding some heavy weight on top of the cowl vent ) will make a dent, but sometimes it isn't enough to end up with the top of the vent lid flush with the rest of the cowl.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
Mart

The one I bought only recently (Vintique from C&G) has a thin raised lip on the upper surface, rather than being flat. there is a channel around the inside of the seal channel that needs to be cleared out and a tube fitted below to drain out anything that gets past the seal. (If all works as it should!)

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Many od the old gaskets were molded or extruded to be tubular so that they would have extra give. The really old cars probably had vulcanized natural rubber too and that stuff doesn't last like the synthetic rubbers do.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
thirt4

Thanks for the replies. What I have encountered is that this gasket is too wide. The outside edges are approximately 1 inch beyond the R/L edge of the vent opening groove.
The thickness has never been broached yet due to the oversize. I think I could park one of my anvils on top to thin it out should that be the next problem.
Now to figure out that overwidth without going near a razor blade as that would just open a new can of worms.
thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
DICK SPADARO

If your gasket is too wide for the opening its the wrong part or was packaged incorrectly, some of the new gaskets actually have a part number molded in them.