Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
lenmissy

Default has nobuddy removed the winshield wiper switch for 40 ford

how do you remove the knob on wiper switch some told me you pull up i did that no way maybe pull harder i do not want to break it lenmissy
lenmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: has nobuddy removed the winshield wiper switch for 40 ford

If you simply want to remove the plastic knob, it does pull off. It may be on so tight it you may find it easier to cut it off. The new one will go on smoothly over the serrations on the end of the wiper control switch.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
TomO

If you want to remove the complete switch assembly, there is a nut under the dash that holds it in place. It is easier to get at if you remove the wiper motor.

Dennis Carpenter has a drawing of the control for the 41-47 commercial in his catalog. It is very similar to the 40 Ford.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Tom/SC

If I were you, I would buy a new knob assembly from Carpenter or another supplier and replace tho whole thing. There is a short metal rod that connects the wiper motor to the wiper switch. It has been a while since I replaced one, but I do remember that disconnecting that rod from the from the motor can be difficult. As Tom O said, I would remove switch and motor, fit the short rod between them , and then remount them both. That rod has a "swelled" place on eachend of the rod that makes disconnecting and re-connecting under the dash very difficult. The rod has to go thru a rubber grommet on each end.(If I remember correctly! ) I hope this ramble will help you! Tom Byrd
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Peteva

Earlier this year I removed the wiper switch on my 40 conv. As I remember I did the following;

removed the mirror, radio antenna, the radio, the nut on the switch under the dash, disconnect the rod to the wiper by pulling it out of its little gromment and pull the sw up and out of its hole. You do not have to remove the wiper motor or the switch knob from its shaft which you probably can't get off anyway. Do not remember if I had to remove the center windshield molding or not.

In case you don't know how to get the radio out, disconnect the the 6V wire, the two hooks on the bottom of the radio at the dash edge and the large nut on top of the dash where the antenna plugs in. Be prepared to support the radio when you take that nut out.

Its not too bad of a job. The convertible differs from the other body styles in the area of the antenna. Good luck.

Peteva
Peteva is offline   Reply With Quote