Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
harveykarisma

Default Flywheel housing dust cover

Hi, all. I just installed a rebuilt engine in my A. Unfortunately, the rebuilder neglected to install a flywheel housing dust cover. I obtained one, but an having a devil of a time installing it. First, it's quite difficult to start the bolts. Secondly, the after threading in a ways, the bolts feel as if the are bottoming out. It's hard to see up in there, but it appears that the rebuilder did not bother to mask the holes when he painted the flywheel cover, so the threads are full of paint. And, it's impossible to run a tap into the hole. Any suggestions short of pulling the engine again, removing the clutch and flywheel assy and tapping the holes? Thanks.
harveykarisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #2
ndnchf

Default Re: Flywheel housing dust cover

You could take bolts that are the same length as the cover bolts you are trying to install. Use a dremel cut off disc and cut 4 slots lengthwise in the threads (like flutes in a tap). Carefully grind a slight taper on the end. This will give you a chasing tap to clean out the threads. Run it in and out several times with light oil, cleaning the "flutes" each time. I've done this several times and it works well in a pinch.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
harveykarisma

Good idea. Thanks. I bought a couple of 1/4-28 grade 8 bolts but was only able to find 3/4 inch length at the local hardward store. Good place to start. Again thanks for the input.
harveykarisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
ndnchf

If there is dried paint in the threaded holes, maybe put a little paint remover in the holes beforehand to soften it up. Clean the holes well afterwards. Good luck.
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:23 PM   #5
john charlton

The centre bolt is a sod to fit .I cut this one short and leave the spring washer off . Over many years I have never had a centre bolt loosen and fall out .

John in rain showers Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
katy

At one time I worked w/a fellow that was a heavy equipment mechanic, had worked for a Caterpillar dealer for many years. He told me that Caterpillar had stopped using lockwashers because they didn't serve any useful purpose.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:52 AM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Spacing for the bolts for attaching the zenith carb would be one place where I would reinstall the lock washers. I think those are the same bolt as the pan.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:31 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I had to clean one of these out recently where one of the bolts had fallen out and then the threaded bore filled up with dirt. I had to do the trick in post #2 to clear what I couldn't poke out. It was likely due to the neglect for lock washers by a previous owner or shade tree wrench. I replaced all three with new parts. This included the lock washers. With good clean threaded bores, they all went in easy.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote