Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

Default mitchell overdrive

should I buy the Mitchell overdrive, is it worth the $2,000? I heard many love it.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
29er

Default Re: mitchell overdrive

Do you drive lots? Especially in town or in hilly country?

Then "Yes". The Mitchell will make it easier to keep up with traffic with less shifting. It's really a gear-splitter that will give you 6 speeds forward.

Do you have the $$? Then "Yes". Of course the opportunity cost is a whole lots of Cuban cigars but it will enhance your driving experience. Maybe not as much as having a blonde in the passenger seat, but I haven't talked to anybody who regretted making the decision to install one.

Are you up to the challenge of installing one? Then "Yes". Really, it's not that difficult, especially if you have a buddy or two to help. When you get everything disassembled you should count on some extra expenses such as clutch plate, throwout bearing, U-joint, etc... things you find that may need replacing while everything is apart.

Do you have an adequate space to work on it with enough room to store disassembled pieces? Then "Yes".

I love mine!

Mike in Oregon
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
tbirdtbird
BANNED

do a search. no one has not liked a mitchell. including me
Old 01-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
Dave in MN

I have had one in my car for over ten years...I like it! I assume you want to get down the road faster. In an old car, faster is not all that safe. You will need to consider building the best braking system you can...cast iron drums, everything re-fitted with new bushings and kept adjusted. I have had zero trouble with my overdrive and have over 70,000 miles on it.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
TerryH

I have also had mine for over 8 years, and frankly would not have a Model A without one. I live in S. Calif., and drive the freeways frequently, as well as fast surface streets. It is so easy to use, and nothing to go wrong. As others have mentioned, it is very handy for hilly or mountainous roads, where 2nd OD Is perfect. To me, the only downside is cost, but if you are planning on keeping your A for many years, it is easier to justify. As has been said, you need good operating brakes and tires. I usually like to cruise effortlessly at 60, sometimes 65, but if you have not been in a car with one, you will be surprised just how quiet the car is at 45-50 in OD.....you do not need to be speeding to appreciate it. If you have a heavier A, such as a Town Sedan like mine, you might also consider installing a Snyder HC head. It will pull the higher gear ratio a little better.....a perfect combo!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
DougVieyra

The Mitchell Overdrive (6 speed gear splitter) is WELL worth having. That is the answer to the first part of your question.

Cost and Hassle is quite another matter : $2,000, plus tax, plus shipping; Then there is the considerable time effort and work in the installation into an already assembled car. Of course, if you are in the process of putting your car together, then that is not an issue; then it would just be the $2,300 (with tax and shipping) cost that would have to consider.

For me, the $2,300 cost would be worth it, but not the hassle of installing one into an already finished car (or a MARC / MAFCA factory car').

- Doug Vieyra, Eureka, Calif
- 1931 Dlx Coupe (with Mitchel OverDrive)
- 1928 Phaeton (stock Ford Chassis)
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:09 AM   #7
quickchange

1929 yes
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 AM   #8
Brentwood Bob

ride in a car that has one, and maybe a trial drive.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
should I buy the Mitchell overdrive, is it worth the $2,000? I heard many love it.
BEST MONEY YOU WILL EVER SPEND. Check my info on my site. Installed mine january 2003 and it is great. first good trip was over 4,000 miles in Ozarks, and back roads of Smokies. Great Race 2003 it showed is stuff for X- cup team and average about 14,000 miles per year since , not 1 problem. When you are confident with it you will be able to drive and shift it like full syncro trans. If any one would ride with a mitchell car they would be SOLD ON IT. Go for the gold and don't look back. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #10
Joop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post

Where are you located.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
sphanna

I really like my Mitchel. I was a bit intimidated thinking about installing it. I ordered from Diabilo As club a DVD on Installing the OD. I live in an area where there is not help available within 100 miles. So with the instructions that came with the Mitchel and the DVD, I installed it 100% alone. I did not find this overwhelming and I am not a trained mechanic. I think I may have about 1000 miles on it now and it works perfectly. You will not be sorry.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

thanks for all the info, but then Iam told by others that any non stock change to your car will just lower the value, is that not true if installing a overdrive?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
3thumbs

I don't know about the value part. I bought mine with the Mitchell already in it, and I don't know if I would have been interested in plunking down $2300 for one if had it not already been in there.......but it adds a great deal to the drivability of the car. I can go up to Estes Park a lot more easily than I could have without it. With the narrow power band of the Model A, I would say it is well worth the expense.
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #14
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"thanks for all the info, but then Iam told by others that any non stock change to your car will just lower the value, is that not true if installing a overdrive?"

Perhaps those ppl have been in the hot sun too long.

A Mitchell will never lower the value of your car. Quite the opposite.
And the best part is that it can be removed and the car easily returned to its original state if so desired. Meaning, no permanent changes are made to the car.

Speaking of value, when we worry about what everyone else thinks, that devalues our own driving experience and fun, IMO

If you are only gonna get ice cream on weekends, then this is not an option that will give you any return for your money. It is mainly intended for those who like to tour (go places)
Old 01-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #15
Barry B./ Ma.

I'm happy that the previous owner installed a Mitchell overdrive in my coupe, now pulling a long hill in high is no problem, a flick of your wrist and it slips into regular drive. There are many advantages, better gas mileage being one of them. It makes the car more pleasant to drive and I can't see how it would reduce the value of a car that's primarily used for touring.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Kevin in NJ

Value is up to the holder of the wallet.

I think you must consider the car you have first as your money is sometimes better spent elsewhere first.

Do you drive your car 60+ MPH with full confidence?

If your car is properly rebuilt you should not have any troubles running the 60 MPH the car was built from the factory to run (you should also be getting over 20MPG). It should feel comfortable at that speed. No wandering, not vibrating you out of the car, you should be able to hold conversations while you drive without screaming. You should be able to hop in you car and run all day at 60 and not be scared of something blowing up because that is how a properly rebuild car should handle.

Keep in mind if your car is done right you expect to get 50,000 miles on the driveline before any major teardowns.

If you can not do the above then you need to consider fixing the basics first. Unbalanced engines, poor brakes, and improperly functioning suspension make for a lot of various issues.

Once your car is sorted out then seek out someone with an OD and see if you like it. Truthfully the OD is not really needed for the way many drive. Like many mods it is put on more becuase they think it is needed when a better sorting out of issues would likely be a better investment of time and money.

Now I am not saying there are no advantages to the OD. It certainly can change the way a car be driven in a positive way.

I am saying that too often it is put on to bandaid other issues or perceived issues.

From a value standpoint I believe you have to consider that the $2000 may not really give you any true function per dollar back if you do not drive considerable distances every year.

The value in the A to many is being able to run highway speeds comfortably and have effective brakes with or without the OD. Keep in mind the A off the factory line was capable of this.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

thanks Kevin, Iam doing all that now, actually I was very surprised to see how paper thin and rusted out my subrails are, the previous many years ago covered it with home made sheet metal and the wheel well panels, the subrail extenders were like paper holding the body and the wood to the frame, gonna replace all from back to front. I noticed no shocks on the car, should I put the modern ones on?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
Dave in MN

[QUOTE=Kevin in NJ;1022003]Value is up to the holder of the wallet.

I think you must consider the car you have first as your money is sometimes better spent elsewhere first.

Along with what follows in your post....Well summed up Kevin!

Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #19
Tom Endy

If you drive your car often you will certainly appreciate an overdrive. if you plan to do any serious touring it is the way to go. An overdrive will allow you to run at 55 mph with the engine thinking it is doing 45. Climbing a grade too steep for high gear, put it in second gear overdrive, much better than regular second.

Over the years there have been a number of overdrives offered for a Model A. The Borg Warner and Volvo overdrives are a modification product of cottage industries. Both have some drawbacks to them. The only factory made overdrives were the Ryan and the Mitchell, both very good overdrives. Ryan went out business around 2000.

Mitchell continues and makes a very good overdrive. I would think that installing a Mitchell overdrive in a Model A increases the value of the car by about $2,000. If a purest wants to buy the car, take the Mitchell back out and install the original drive shaft and torque tube. The only tell tale sign a Mitchell was ever in the car is a slot in the wood floor board and a slit in the floor mat, both easily fixed or replaced.

A Mitchell overdrives has a good resale value as there is a three month lead time for a new one. Rarely do you see a used on the market as they are easily sold.

If you plan to let your car sit in the garage most of the time and only use it for parades or tooling around the local neighborhood, you don't need an overdrive.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote