Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Center Floor Pan with/without Rumble seat...

On page 388, Fig. 783, of the FORD Service Bulletins, it shows an exploded view of a 1929 Standard Coupe.

It tells us that there were two (2) different types of "Center Floor Pans and End Assemblies"...A-40212-A (without rumble seat) and A-40212-B (with rumble seat).

Can someone please tell me just what is different about the two parts other than the two holes that are in the one for the rumble seat (A-40212-B) which has the two holes to position the bottom seat itself so it is not sliding all over the place?

Some background info...When I converted my 1929 Standard Coupe from a trunk to a rumbleseat 30 plus years ago, if I remember correctly, I did not remove this part to make the conversion but just the Floor Pan Rear Assembly from the stright (A-45203) to the curved (A-50203) panel.

As a matter of fact the deck lid was already set up to make the conversion from trunk to rumble seat if one wanted which I did by just changing the position of the handle. So I am wondering if FORD did away with the A-40212-A and went to using the A-40212-B in all coupes as it looks to be a hasel to change the two just because of two holes in one and not the other.

Now, not to confuse the issue than I have already, in viewing the "list of parts" required for the change over (from trunk to rumble seat) in the Indy Service Letter of 8-30-28, the Floor Pan Rear Assembly is listed as A-50205 and not as A-50203 PLUS there is no A-40212-A or B (Center Floor Pans) listed in the list of parts to change out.

Thanks.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-25-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Center Floor Pan with/without Rumble seat...

All the center pans (rumble seat riser) had the holes punched for the seat cushion catches. When used as a trunk the holes had plugs which I believe are the same as the vacuum hole plug in the firewall. They MAY be one size larger but I don't think so.

The only difference is the addition of two A-40225(?) reinforcements on the underside (shown below) which I believe occurred in mid 1928. They were spot welded to the pan.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Was the whole floor area carpeted?

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Was the whole floor area carpeted?
Trunk...No (I do not think so);

Rumble Seat...Rubber floor mat.

Pluck
Old 01-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
All the center pans (rumble seat riser) had the holes punched for the seat cushion catches. When used as a trunk the holes had plugs which I believe are the same as the vacuum hole plug in the firewall. They MAY be one size larger but I don't think so.

The only difference is the addition of two A-40225(?) reinforcements on the underside (shown below) which I believe occurred in mid 1928. They were spot welded to the pan.

Thank you Marco...

Pluck
Old 01-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
MAG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras

I agree. My 30 coupe had the trunk area converted to a "pickup box", like many were in that day. It had the holes and plugs as mentioned by Marco. They were beat up from use but still in place. As I recall, about 1/2" diameter on the cap.